This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lel15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior at an upper tier public university with a Biology and Spanish double major. cGPA is 3.63 and MCAT 505 (but i'm retaking it in May, hope to do much better because the first time I studied, my practice exams were ~507). I think my science gpa is ~3.4

I have extensive research background (~1000 hours) with a couple presentations (2 independent projects, one will probably be published in the far future). I am doing a undergrad thesis for my Spanish major to graduate with honors. I TAed for multiple bio classes, was on a club sport for three years. Shadowed diff docs for ~70 hours. The only volunteer experience I have is translating Spanish at a clinic for the underserved, where I get a ton of patient-contact because I do intakes. I hope to have about 200 hours if I apply this June. In my personal statement, I talk about wanting to help the healthcare disparity that affects Latino people in the US.

I was planning on applying to lower tier schools like GW, Tulane, Loyola, Drexel, PSU, Geisinger (im a PA resident) etc but am unsure if I should take two gap years in order to get non-clinical volunteerism and more shadowing. Do I have any chance at these schools? I plan on working as a medical assistant in my gap year.

Also, is my heavy research and light volunteerism a disadvantage for these schools? Do I even have a chance at top 40 schools as a research-heavy applicant with a low gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

Your best chances for MD school interviews are Geisinger, Penn State, Drexel, Temple and Jefferson. I also suggest these schools:
Oakland Beaumont
GW
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
West Virginia.
Also apply to several DO schools. Post your new MCAT score here when available in June

Your best chances for MD school interviews are Geisinger, Penn State, Drexel, Temple and Jefferson. I also suggest these schools:
Oakland Beaumont
GW
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
West Virginia.
Also apply to several DO schools. Post your new MCAT score here when available in June

I got a 513 (129/125/129/130). What do you think now?

You can add more schools in addition to the ones I listed above so consider all these:
Vermont
Hofstra
Einstein
Seton Hall
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
NOVA MD
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola