WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoneyBadgerz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
23 year old white male. LGBT (but only mentioned it to schools that directly asked). 2nd time applicant. Last time I received 0 interviews, but I previously had no shadowing experience, no clinical volunteering, less research, and a worse MCAT.

School: University of Virginia
Degree: BS in Engineering Science with a Concentration in Nanomedicine Engineering
cGPA: 3.65 (Trend: 3.46 -> 3.57 -> 3.65 -> 3.94)
sGPA: 3.62 (Trend: 3.46 -> 3.61 -> 3.59 -> 3.93)
Note: Despite my senior year GPA being so much higher, it was not full of easy classes.

MCAT #1: 510 (128/127/128/127)
MCAT #2: 517 (129/127/130/131)

Activities- "New" for stuff I didn't have last time. Hours include time up until potential matriculation next year:
  • Non-clinical, paid employment as salesman/manager: 1450 hours- Communication and leadership skills
  • Collegiate a cappella group: 960 hours- Artistic, some non-clinical service, and leadership activity.
  • Academic research: 1900 hours (Some of this is new)- No publications yet (several expected in future)
  • 3 symposium presentations for my Capstone research project: 10 hours
  • EMT-B course and certification: 85 hours (New)
  • Clinical volunteering on a rescue squad: 932 hours (New)
  • Shadowing various physicians: 32 hours (New)- I would've done more, but my local hospital had a limit.
  • Non-clinical, part-time paid employment: 700 hours (New)- Done to pay my own student loans.
  • New position as an ED technician at UVA: 0 hours so far, but mentioned on secondaries as an activity for the coming year.
LORs (in order of quality. Most schools only got the top 5 to make sure they read the best ones):
  1. Research PI for 3.5 years (well-known scientist in BME)
  2. Anesthesiologist who knows me well and who I spent time shadowing
  3. My lieutenant from the rescue squad
  4. Professor (effectively for English for engineers) who oversaw the writing of my thesis
  5. Applied mathematics professor who I had a good relationship with in a small classroom
  6. Personal advisor in the BME department (I never took his course, that's why I ranked this lower)
  7. Manager for my sales/management job (It's a more interesting experience than I can detail here)

I added substantially to my personal statement and rephrased the parts that I reused. I mostly rewrote my secondary app essays, although I often used repeated themes. My primary application was submitted as soon as it opened, and my secondary apps were all submitted within 2 weeks of receipt (except Penn State, which has still not sent a secondary to anyone).

State of residence: Virginia

School list (all regular MD):
Wake Forest
Lewis Katz @ Temple
Sidney Kimmel @ TJ
Uni of Miami
Frank Netter Quinnipac
Warren Alpert @ Brown
Geisel @ Dartmouth
Tufts
U of Rochester
Hofstra
Emory
St. Louis University
Boston
Duke
Weill Cornell
Ohio State
GW- 2nd time
Georgetown- 2nd time
Penn State- 2nd time
UVA- 2nd time
VCU- 2nd time
EVMS- 2nd time
Virginia tech- 2nd time

So... what are my chances? I'm super nervous because I don't want to have to go through this again. I know where I'm currently weak is my lack of purely non-clinical service activities, low number of shadowing hours, lack of publications, and relatively mediocre GPA, but are these going to keep me from getting interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

You should receive interviews from your list. I suggest adding more schools such as:
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin

You should receive interviews from your list. I suggest adding more schools such as:
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin

Isn't it a little late at this point? And how many of those more safe options do you think I need? I don't think I have the financial resources or time to apply to all of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not late to apply. Apply to as many as you can afford to. As you said " I don't want to have to go through this again"

It is not late to apply. Apply to as many as you can afford to. As you said " I don't want to have to go through this again"

Good point! I appreciate the suggestions :)