WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crushersun

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: 6/29/20
Overall GPA: 3.28
Science GPA: 3.19
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.45
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 18AA/18PAT/18QR/18RC/17Bio/21GC/16OC/18TS (Just taken recently this week)
State of Residence: Florida

Major: Biomedical Science
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad?
Yes, I was an engineering major for 2.5 years before switching majors/pursing pre-dental. Explains why my GPA is low, but I do have a strong increasing trend after switching. I also had to take a year off from school due to medical reasons.

Shadowing Experience: 100+ hours, mainly general dentistry, some from oral surgery,
Volunteering Experience: 200+, dental clinic, Mission of Mercy, homeless shelter, kids and families with disabilities.
Employment: 80 hours, Used to work part time as office assistant at Oral surgery office.
Other Extracurriculars: Very involved with Pre-dental club at university and participated in many dental related workshops.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans list after switching majors
LOR type and strength: 3 letters from my professors (2 science, 1 non-science) and 1 letter from Oral surgeon that I used to work for. I have good relationships with all.

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: I believe my personal statement is very strong I am just worried about my DAT scores. I am not sure if I have time to retake the DAT mid-November for this cycle. Let me know what my options are! I know my GPA isn't high, but I explain in my application that it is because of my previous major and since switching, I have done really well and there is a strong increasing trend.

School list:

Boston U.
Columbia U.
LECOM
Nova Southeasatern U.
Tufts U.
U. of Colorado
U. of Florida
U. of Maryland
U. of Minnesota
Rutgers U.
U. of Penn

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a pretty solid BCP GPA.

Recommend retaking DAT. Try to get above a 21 AA.
Looking at the ADEA guide, your DAT would put you in the bottom 5th percentile of admitted students at many schools. Your Science and Total GPA puts you at around the 10th percentile (on average).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You stand a chance this cycle, but it will be an uphill battle. Schools like:
Columbia U., U. of Colorado, U. of Maryland, U. of Minnesota, U. of Penn and penn are less than ideal choices. And normally I’d suggest 14-15 schools, when a candidate has weaknesses in their application. These schools would be better choices: the AT stills, usc, mwu-il, une, udm, Nyu, roseman, possibly touro given your profile.

If you don’t get in this cycle, I suggest you do an exhaustive study of the DAT, studying hard everyday for 3-6 months until you consistently score high on the practice materials and are confident you can score 20+ in every section. Do this first. After you’ve done this you might also consider starting a masters in science (You may not need this since your background/experiences are strong, but will increase your chances). You can apply next cycle while you’re in this masters program, just keep your masters GPA high (3.7+) throughout.

Assuming because those are state schools. The tend to favor better stats and they usually don’t have as many OOS seats