MD WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

june22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm hoping to apply in the 2021-2022 application cycle for medical school. Thank you for your time in advance!

Stats: 3.9 cGPA; 3.9 sGPA; 517 MCAT
Degree: Anthropology
State of residence and undergrad: TX

1. (ORM/URM?) ORM (Asian)
2. (M/F?) F
3. Educational Experiences?
- 60hr total as TA
4. Leadership Experience:
- Led Social Policy Program (-300hr)
- Volunteer Club Leadership position (-180hrs)
- Other cultural leadership (300hr)
4. Non-clinical volunteering experiences?
- 400 hr volunteer with previously homeless
- 70hrs volunteer at penpal program
- 300 hr of volunteering through music
- 100hr of club fundraising by organizing campus-wide events (miscellaneous; have couple of club involvements)
5. Clinical Volunteering/Shadowing experiences?
- 100hr clinical experience with patient
- 280hr volunteering
- 80hr of virtual volunteer
- lacking shadowing experience bc it got cancelled, but will manage 40 hrs before application
6. Research Experience? 800hrs in oncology lab
7. Interested in rural health care? Consider it
8. Interest in primary care? Yes
9. Family in Medicine? No

List for Med School
Duke
Columbia
Stanford
UCSF
UPitt
UCSD
Baylor
Northwestern
UChicago
Dartmouth
Harvard
Yale
Mayo
Case Western
Cornell
Emory
U Michigan
Keck USC
Hofstra
Mt. Sinai
UTSW
UT McGovern
UT San Antonio
UTMB
Texas A&M
Kaiser

I have 25 schools total. I know that my list is top-heavy, but do you think I have a fair shot at them? @Goro @Faha @Mr.Smile12 Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Goro Will do! Thank you so much! Does TX residency hurt you a lot for OOS schools?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro I really appreciate these kind words! Thank you for your encouragement!!

Reactions: 1 user
@Faha I will add TCU-UNT! What are some weak points in my application that stands out to you so I can try to improve them moving forward? Thank you again!

Have a bunch of texas schools, but otherwise your app shows dedication to some very cool organizations and I think you are fine to apply top heavy if you have a safety net.

Consider: NYU (Bellevue would be right up your alley if you want to work with under-served and SUD patients), Pitt, Miami.

@Banco Thank you so much! I thought NYU was too out of my league because of my MCAT. I excluded Penn, WashU, and Vandy for similar reasons.

@Faha Thank you so much! That was also my concern, and I have been trying to get shadowing ever since this February but it's been hard. I'll try to get some shadowing aligned, but I've been virtual events/zoom talks with alumni for now.

@Banco Thank you so much! I thought NYU was too out of my league because of my MCAT. I excluded Penn, WashU, and Vandy for similar reasons.

@Faha Thank you so much! That was also my concern, and I have been trying to get shadowing ever since this February but it's been hard. I'll try to get some shadowing aligned, but I've been virtual events/zoom talks with alumni for now.

Nah add NYU; I think if you relate your experiences with bellevue in your essays you have a very solid shot, look into it.