WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mahir Goyal

Reaction score
I am applying this cycle for EY 2024. I am asking what schools I should apply to further and what my chances are for the schools I am currently applying for.

Stats: 24 DAT AA 25 SCI Avg 3.97 GPA i dont know my science gpa exactly but i think its 3.94. Shadowing hours 200+ Volunteering hours 320+. Had 5 leadership positions including 2 in pre dental association. Also researching in neuropathic pain in my last year of undergrad before i graduate. i have a lot of other hobbies as well that i discussed in my texas app but aadsas did not allow. I have also been employed for a year and a half right now at mathnasium.

School list:

all 4 texas ( i am in state)
Upenn
columbia
ucsf
ucla
maryland
u of illinois chicago
tufts
boston u
seattle

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am applying this cycle for EY 2024. I am asking what schools I should apply to further and what my chances are for the schools I am currently applying for.

Stats: 24 DAT AA 25 SCI Avg 3.97 GPA i dont know my science gpa exactly but i think its 3.94. Shadowing hours 200+ Volunteering hours 320+. Had 5 leadership positions including 2 in pre dental association. Also researching in neuropathic pain in my last year of undergrad before i graduate. i have a lot of other hobbies as well that i discussed in my texas app but aadsas did not allow. I have also been employed for a year and a half right now at mathnasium.

School list:

all 4 texas ( i am in state)
Upenn
columbia
ucsf
ucla
maryland
u of illinois chicago
tufts
boston u
seattle
seattle u does not have a dental school
perhaps you are think of university of washington?

Members don't see this ad :)
Please complete a template.

How much networking have you done? DId you attend the Virtual Fair last Wednesday? Why do you want to go out of Texas?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

How much networking have you done? DId you attend the Virtual Fair last Wednesday? Why do you want to go out of Texas?
I have spoken
are you a tx resident?
have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any d schools?
I am a TX resident. I have not attended many events at other dental schools besides impressions day at TAMSOD due to its proximity. I was not able to go out of city to attend other events.

I have spoken to many students at every school except for Chicago, Boston and UCSF. I did not attend the virtual fair last wednesday as the entire day I was shadowing, working, and volunteering. I have been in Texas since 2010 and did not attend school out of state. A good chunk of the reason why I want to attend OOS is because I want to experience a new environment and I am not super keen on another 4 more years in texas. However, that is not a huge factor that would push me to leave OOS. Financials is the biggest one hands down.

I have spoken

I am a TX resident. I have not attended many events at other dental schools besides impressions day at TAMSOD due to its proximity. I was not able to go out of city to attend other events.
your stats are nearly perfect
you should want to go to the cheapest school no matter what

i would take off boston and tufts (yield management issues)
and add public schools that offer in-state tuition as your "safety" schools

as long as your PS is not awful, i would recommend saving money for interview trips and starting to practice your interviewing skills...

your stats are nearly perfect
you should want to go to the cheapest school no matter what

i would take off boston and tufts (yield management issues)
and add public schools that offer in-state tuition as your "safety" schools

as long as your PS is not awful, i would recommend saving money for interview trips and starting to practice your interviewing skills...
Thank you so much for the advice. I have had many ppl read over my PS and said it was strong. I also have strong LORs. there are only 4 in state dental schools that i applied for. Do you think i will be getting a lot of interviews, since you mentioned start saving for trips?

Thank you so much for the advice. I have had many ppl read over my PS and said it was strong. I also have strong LORs. there are only 4 in state dental schools that i applied for. Do you think i will be getting a lot of interviews, since you mentioned start saving for trips?
I would try to find out which schools do virtual interviews. :)

Texas HES records several webinars from admissions officials at the participating programs, and I think it also includes the dental programs. I'd make sure I knew the differences each Texas school has in preferring students who meet their missions.

But your stats put you in a very strong position to pick where you want to go.

sorry
public schools that offer in-state after 1 year

I have spoken to many students at every school except for Chicago, Boston and UCSF. I did not attend the virtual fair last wednesday as the entire day I was shadowing, working, and volunteering. I have been in Texas since 2010 and did not attend school out of state. A good chunk of the reason why I want to attend OOS is because I want to experience a new environment and I am not super keen on another 4 more years in texas. However, that is not a huge factor that would push me to leave OOS. Financials is the biggest one hands down.
Have you been able to check out the virtual fair booths and get contact information to follow up with the admissions teams? It's not just the live session (unless that changed).

I would try to find out which schools do virtual interviews. :)

Texas HES records several webinars from admissions officials at the participating programs, and I think it also includes the dental programs. I'd make sure I knew the differences each Texas school has in preferring students who meet their missions.

But your stats put you in a very strong position to pick where you want to go.
Thank you so much for the information. I will make sure to check out those webinars and become well versed in each schools' mission and what they look for in students.