WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pjsacul

Reaction score
Date of Submission: 06-30-2023
Overall GPA: 3.9
Science GPA: 3.8
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.8
DAT Score: PAT-18/QR-18/RC-20/BIO-21/GC-18/OC-20/TS-19/AA-19
State of Residence: Pennsylvania

Major: Psychology
Minor: Spanish
Minority: No
Reapplicant: No
Nontrad: Yes

Shadow Hours: 40 with general dentist, 20 with orthodontist, 20 in OR with OMFS (80 total)
Volunteering Experience: 50 hours at department of Veteran Affairs. I greet outpatients, guests, visitors, and patients' families, answer phones, and transfer calls at the information desk. 60 hours as English teacher/tutor. This was remote position in which I prepared and executed literacy/fluency plans for students of English as a foreign language. I organized remote tutoring sessions for English learners, and facilitated cultural exchange between student and myself. 50 hours at my undergrad university. I helped international students with decision, acceptance, orientation and settling-in phase of the admissions and arrival process at our university.
Employment: My current position, Surgical Assistant in OMFS office (~3500 clinical hours). Sales Consultant 2018-2020; I worked for several organizations.
Research: Publication in GenBank for isolation of novel DNA sequence. Research assistant in Psychology department at university for study that examined relationship between neuropsychology and expressive arts for people managing aphasia.
Other Extracurricular: I am musically inclined. Play guitar and DJ. Speak Spanish and practice Spanish skills. Train Bonsai trees. Masonry/Stonework.
Relevant Awards and Honors: Summa Cum Laude. Dean's list. Recipient of several scholarships. Phi Theta Kappa.
LOR Type and Strength: Oral Surgeon/Supervisor (strong), Oral Surgeon/Supervisor (strong) Bio Professor (strong) OChem professor (strong)
MISC Info: I received my AA degree in Psychology from a community college. BIO and Gen Chem. prereqs were completed at a community college as well. Physics and Ochemm was completed at a 4year university. I took Gen Chem twice. Once in 2016 (C) as an elective for my Psych and degree and once in 2022 as a prereq (A).
School List:
Pitt
Case Western
Louisville
Kentucky
WVU
Touro
UCONN
UNE
Nebraska
Iowa
Midwestern Illinois
Colorado
LECOM
Tennessee

Members don't see this ad.

Date of Submission: 06-30-2023
Overall GPA: 3.9
Science GPA: 3.8
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.8
DAT Score: PAT-18/QR-18/RC-20/BIO-21/GC-18/OC-20/TS-19/AA-19
State of Residence: Pennsylvania

Major: Psychology
Minor: Spanish
Minority: No
Reapplicant: No
Nontrad: Yes

Shadow Hours: 40 with general dentist, 20 with orthodontist, 20 in OR with OMFS (80 total)
Volunteering Experience: 50 hours at department of Veteran Affairs. I greet outpatients, guests, visitors, and patients' families, answer phones, and transfer calls at the information desk. 60 hours as English teacher/tutor. This was remote position in which I prepared and executed literacy/fluency plans for students of English as a foreign language. I organized remote tutoring sessions for English learners, and facilitated cultural exchange between student and myself. 50 hours at my undergrad university. I helped international students with decision, acceptance, orientation and settling-in phase of the admissions and arrival process at our university.
Employment: My current position, Surgical Assistant in OMFS office (~3500 clinical hours). Sales Consultant 2018-2020; I worked for several organizations.
Research: Publication in GenBank for isolation of novel DNA sequence. Research assistant in Psychology department at university for study that examined relationship between neuropsychology and expressive arts for people managing aphasia.
Other Extracurricular: I am musically inclined. Play guitar and DJ. Speak Spanish and practice Spanish skills. Train Bonsai trees. Masonry/Stonework.
Relevant Awards and Honors: Summa Cum Laude. Dean's list. Recipient of several scholarships. Phi Theta Kappa.
LOR Type and Strength: Oral Surgeon/Supervisor (strong), Oral Surgeon/Supervisor (strong) Bio Professor (strong) OChem professor (strong)
MISC Info: I received my AA degree in Psychology from a community college. BIO and Gen Chem. prereqs were completed at a community college as well. Physics and Ochemm was completed at a 4year university. I took Gen Chem twice. Once in 2016 (C) as an elective for my Psych and degree and once in 2022 as a prereq (A).
School List:
Pitt
Case Western
Louisville
Kentucky
WVU
Touro
UCONN
UNE
Nebraska
Iowa
Midwestern Illinois
Colorado
LECOM
Tennessee
why colorado?

From what I understand Colorado is OOS friendly, and I would like to select schools that are OOS friendly. Also about 1/3 of the Denver population is hispanic or latino and with my Spanish minor/speaking skills, I think that could be a good opportunity to utilize my skills. To be honest, I also wouldn't mind living in the Denver area. Considering my DAT is on the lower side I am trying to apply to ~15 schools; however, Colorado is a school I would consider tossing from my target schools.

What suggestions do you have? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I understand Colorado is OOS friendly, and I would like to select schools that are OOS friendly. Also about 1/3 of the Denver population is hispanic or latino and with my Spanish minor/speaking skills, I think that could be a good opportunity to utilize my skills. To be honest, I also wouldn't mind living in the Denver area. Considering my DAT is on the lower side I am trying to apply to ~15 schools; however, Colorado is a school I would consider tossing from my target schools.

What suggestions do you have? Thanks.
ok, makes sense

your list is quite public school heavy
while you gpa is excellent, your DAT scores are not reflective of your gpa

Thank you for your input.

Are there any other schools that you would recommend considering my background? Or do you have any other pieces of advice in general?

Thanks again

Thank you for your input.

Are there any other schools that you would recommend considering my background? Or do you have any other pieces of advice in general?

Thanks again
my advice is to do more research and apply to a broad range of schools that you fit their profile...

Pittsburgh but not Temple?

I don't know if you grew up close to Buffalo, so that's a maybe on the geography side of things. Especially if you put in West Virginia...

What is your mission fit with UConn (state residency), UNE (New England), Iowa (rural dentistry?), Nebraska (rural), Southern Illinois (downstate health), Colorado, or Tennessee. As pointed out, you need more privates:

BU and Tufts not UNE and UCONN.
Marquette, not Iowa.
Creighton, not Nebraska.
Midwestern Illinois, not Southern Illinois.

Reactions: 1 users
Pittsburgh but not Temple?

I don't know if you grew up close to Buffalo, so that's a maybe on the geography side of things. Especially if you put in West Virginia...

What is your mission fit with UConn (state residency), UNE (New England), Iowa (rural dentistry?), Nebraska (rural), Southern Illinois (downstate health), Colorado, or Tennessee. As pointed out, you need more privates:

BU and Tufts not UNE and UCONN.
Marquette, not Iowa.
Creighton, not Nebraska.
Midwestern Illinois, not Southern Illinois.
The reason I am hesitant about applying to Temple, BU, and Tufts is because of their policies concerning CC credits. I am applying to Pitt because I am from Pittsburgh and have some ties to the school, even though they also have a strict policy on CC credits.

Because many schools have restrictions on CC credits, I've tried to choose schools with less restrictions on CC credits and more OOS friendly schools. This is how schools such as UNE, Iowa, Nebraska, etc have ended up on my school list.

After reading your advice and the advice of macsak I will consider applying to more private schools for my application. Any more advice or feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
The reason I am hesitant about applying to Temple, BU, and Tufts is because of their policies concerning CC credits. I am applying to Pitt because I am from Pittsburgh and have some ties to the school, even though they also have a strict policy on CC credits.

Because many schools have restrictions on CC credits, I've tried to choose schools with less restrictions on CC credits and more OOS friendly schools. This is how schools such as UNE, Iowa, Nebraska, etc have ended up on my school list.

After reading your advice and the advice of macsak I will consider applying to more private schools for my application. Any more advice or feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.
I'll be frank, Iowa and Nebraska are not OOS friendly. Maybe to other midwest schools, but they rarely take students from outside the midwest (Nebraska took none for CO2026).

UNE could be considered OOS friendly. But I would remove Nebraska and Iowa because your chances are slim. I'd replace with Marquette and maybe Minnesota. You could also look into Nova if applying to LECOM. NYU is crazy expensive but I also think applying there could increase your chances of admittance.

Do you have more than 60 CC credits you plan on using? If not, I'd reach out to Temple and BU, and Tufts and see what they say. Because those are schools I'd recommend over Colorado, Nebraska, and Iowa as those schools don't fit your app regionally.

Still plenty of time to get your app in, I would try to get it in before end of July.

I'll be frank, Iowa and Nebraska are not OOS friendly. Maybe to other midwest schools, but they rarely take students from outside the midwest (Nebraska took none for CO2026).

UNE could be considered OOS friendly. But I would remove Nebraska and Iowa because your chances are slim. I'd replace with Marquette and maybe Minnesota. You could also look into Nova if applying to LECOM. NYU is crazy expensive but I also think applying there could increase your chances of admittance.

Do you have more than 60 CC credits you plan on using? If not, I'd reach out to Temple and BU, and Tufts and see what they say. Because those are schools I'd recommend over Colorado, Nebraska, and Iowa as those schools don't fit your app regionally.

Still plenty of time to get your app in, I would try to get it in before end of July.
My situation with CC credits is this. My first two years at college were at a community college where I obtained 62 credits for an associate of arts in Psychology. I then transferred to a 4- year program to receive a bachelor's in Psychology. This program accepted 59 of my community college credits. I obtained my bachelor's degree. A few years later I decide that I want to pursue dental school. I return to the same community college to take pre-reqs; I earn 16 credits for Biology and Gen. Chem prerequisites. I have a total of 78 community college credits from my associates and post bac. courses. I have taken all remaining pre-reqs at a university. I know it is confusing.

Anyways I have been in touch with many admissions teams at various schools regarding my situation. Some schools tell me that they accept CC credits no questions asked, and most schools give me ambiguous non-answers. Temple is the only school of the three that you mentioned that gave me a reassuring answer, so i'll consider applying there instead of a midwest school.

Reactions: 1 user
Just apply to the schools you can see yourself attending. I feel like the CC thing is not set in stone. I think you have a good shot