WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drizzlysunnily

Reaction score
3.8cGPA/3.8sGPA, 514 (129/130/126/129)

Texas resident, Texas undergrad, ORM Female

Currently on the traditional route!

• 400 hrs working as a PCT at the local heart hospital, recently earned my CPCT license
  • 350 hrs volunteering as a research assistant in several labs, four abstracts with first author for conferences, accepted into one national conference, one publication as fourth author under review, presented at a few research forums at my institution
  • 60 hrs shadowing; cardiology, heme/onc, ER
  • 200 hrs working on an advocacy project with a local non-profit, with my institution and its medical school for a part of it; also serving as a free college admissions advisor for lower-income high schoolers
  • ~200 hrs heavily involved with on-campus student government with leadership positions within these orgs
  • 160 hrs working as a communications intern for my institution's medical school
  • 140 hrs volunteering at the local children's hospital
  • 160 hrs TAing for biochemistry
  • Dean's List, in an Honors program
School List (expecting to drop some schools as I apply)

Yale School of Medicine
University of California- San Francisco
University of Virginia
Duke University School of Medicine
University of Michigan--Ann Arbor
Baylor College of Medicine
The University of Texas Southwestern
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
The University of Texas at Austin-Dell Medical School
UCLA David Geffen SOM
Long University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio
Emory University School of Medicine
Creighton University School of Medicine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Keck-- University of Southern California
University of Massachusetts Chan Medical School
Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine
The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
Texas Tech Lubbock (University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine)
McGovern (The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston)
Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine
USU School of Medicine
Robert Larner College of Medicine at UVT
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center

I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to ALL your Texas MD schools and you should receive several interviews. OOS MD schools interview few Texas applicants since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. You could try Tulane and TCU for AMCAS schools.

Reactions: 1 user
200 hrs working on an advocacy project with a local non-profit, with my institution and its medical school for a part of it; also serving as a free college admissions advisor for lower-income high schoolers
... 140 hrs volunteering at the local children's hospital
Specific roles and responsibilities will help us get you more specific advice. The vagueness though makes me less confident in your ability to demonstrate service orientation unless it is tied with your local medical school. This may make many schools less likely to want to interview you as you appear to put all your eggs into one basket for your local medical school. It can be successful though a risky strategy, but it also means you're willing to spend a lot of money recklessly for low ROI's or lots of ghosting. That is apparent from the school list that you look like you have money you want to burn.

The many cold-weather schools on your list... have you ever lived through a few winters outside of Texas? (At least Texas is experiencing some unusual subfreezing temperatures, but it doesn't last for months. Of course, climate change...) You need to show not only that you are a superstar but also you have a compelling reason to engage with patients in those areas. I don't see your activities doing that unless you are using your project as a proxy... it doesn't really work that way unless that project is a national one.

Are you doing this just to impress medical schools, or do you really have service orientation where you comfort those who are in real need? All the items you are doing sound like they are very important, but I don't see you getting out of your comfort zone with how you described your activities.

Reactions: 1 user