WAMC23-24 24AA 25TS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

btou113

Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Date of submission: 23-24 verified August 2023
Non traditional students
Cumulative UndergraduateOverall GPA: 3.31 ( applied math and Statistics) ,2012

Graduate Overall GPA:3.91 (Financial Engineering) 2019

Postbacc Science GPA: 3.853(at nyu) summer 2023 pre-health certificate

Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.85

DAT score (include AA and all sections):

10/14/2023: ( official score maybe 2-3 weeks)
24AA, 25TS, (bio 23, gen chem 30 , orgo 25) 21PAT, RC 18 QR 22

State of Residence: New York, US citizen

Shadowing Experience:
200hours+

Volunteering Experience:
language translator in Covid pandermic
Medicine delivery in Covid pandemic

Employment: self employed since I graduated 2013-current
Research: none

LOR type and strength: pre health committee letter incorporate with 3 science professors, 1 dentist letter and 1 graduate school professor

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: maybe I can explain that I got B+ on gen chem 1 because of Covid? I messed up with one exam during the time.

School list: NYU, Columbia,Temple,StonyBrook, Buffalo,Rutgers,UConn,Upenn,Maryland,Virginia,Touro,Rutgers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Non traditional students

Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.853

DAT score (include AA and all sections): 10/14:

Shadowing Experience:
200hours+

Volunteering Experience:

LOR type and strength: pre health committee letter incorporate with 3 science professors, 1 dentist letter and 1 graduate school professor

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: maybe I can explain that I got B+ on gen chem 1 because of Covid? I messed up with one exam during the time.

School list: NYU, Columbia,Temple,StonyBrook, Buffalo,Rutgers,UConn,Upenn,Maryland,Virginia,Touro,Rutgers.
one B+ is not an issue...

Non traditional students

Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.853

DAT score (include AA and all sections): 10/14:

Shadowing Experience:
200hours+

Volunteering Experience:

have you received any interview invites?

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on the DAT score
i would fax/email your unofficial scores to all your schools
I will do that tomorrow, do you think what school I might have chance?

Since I am a non traditional student, I am lack so much extracurricular and research experiences. I can go back nyu to find a research now. But will it too late?

my QR was too hard I expected to get 30 lol if I could get 30 maybe I got 26 and more competitive.

Since I am a non traditional student, I am lack so much extracurricular and research experiences. I can go back nyu to find a research now. But will it too late?

my QR was too hard I expected to get 30 lol if I could get 30 maybe I got 26 and more competitive.
most schools don't care that much about QR....

you are going to be pretty late for the ivies
and at the other schools you are looking at mostly 2024 interview invites...

you are going to be pretty late for the ivies
and at the other schools you are looking at mostly 2024 interview invites...
I know it is late, but I was not prepared to get high dat in August. So I decided to take at one time rather than retake. I just hope I can get into any school so I do not need to wait another year.

I know it is late, but I was not prepared to get high dat in August. So I decided to take at one time rather than retake. I just hope I can get into any school so I do not need to wait another year.
well, you applied broadly (although you are public school heavy), so you are just going to have to trust the process...

Members don't see this ad :)
You should update schools you already submitted to with your scores and a copy of your official DAT. Immediately. You may still have to apply next year so keep asking hours of dental experience, including more community service outside of health care. No volunteering since the pandemic may hold you back this year.

Why didn't you apply to the Boston schools and UNE?

You should update schools you already submitted to with your scores and a copy of your official DAT. Immediately. You may still have to apply next year so keep asking hours of dental experience, including more community service outside of health care. No volunteering since the pandemic may hold you back this year.

Why didn't you apply to the Boston schools and UNE?
it is because I have 2 bio classes were taken in community college . Boston and Truft required 3 bio classes in 4 year college only.
Harvard I think it just money donation.

UNE too much essays need to write lol

Other sciences course I took in NYU.

I wished I could spent more time in volunteering and researches. But I needed to take cares of my two kids, running my business and study at the same time. My schedule was driving me crazy.

Maybe now I am going to look for some community services or volunteering.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
well, you applied broadly (although you are public school heavy), so you are just going to have to trust the process...
Hopefully I can get into any of them. In my case, I prefer NYU Columbia, touro and stony brook, since it is commute distance I do not have to pay rent and leave with my family and kids.

How long does the DAT post on dentpin? I pretty much added 16 schools total hopefully I will get some interviews after I send my official transcript.

As today I have two interviews, Rutgers(1/12) and Buffalo(2/1). Also 2nd supplemental from UMD.

Reactions: 3 users
In worst case, I am not be able get off waitlist.

how do I strength my application for next cycle? I have 2 interviews so far and both are waitlisted.

I am planning to take some upper level course, microbiology, molecule cell biology and immunology, because my bio 1 and 2 was taken in community college.

Or do I need do more on volunteering, more shadowing hours, or dental assistant?

I will definitely apply early for next cycle.

In worst case, I am not be able get off waitlist.

how do I strength my application for next cycle? I have 2 interviews so far and both are waitlisted.

I am planning to take some upper level course, microbiology, molecule cell biology and immunology, because my bio 1 and 2 was taken in community college.

Or do I need do more on volunteering, more shadowing hours, or dental assistant?

I will definitely apply early for next cycle.
Apply early, you taking your DAT in October is what did the most damage. Majority interviews had been sent by that point. Receiving post December interviews meant you were fighting for less seats available. Possibility of waitlist movement coming around March. But plan for the worst and get ready to reapply if needed.

Volunteering is always appreciated, focus on those less fortunate. You don't need more shadowing hours, 200 is plenty. You can be a DA if you want to, I think volunteering would be more beneficial in your case since most of yours was done during covid.

Apply early, you taking your DAT in October is what did the most damage. Majority interviews had been sent by that point. Receiving post December interviews meant you were fighting for less seats available. Possibility of waitlist movement coming around March. But plan for the worst and get ready to reapply if needed.

Volunteering is always appreciated, focus on those less fortunate. You don't need more shadowing hours, 200 is plenty. You can be a DA if you want to, I think volunteering would be more beneficial in your case since most of yours was done during covid.

Thank you so much. So, in my case, taking upper-level courses will not have much benefits on my application, right? I personally worry about my two bio classes were taken in community college. And I do not have upper level course in my background. I do not know how much will be beneficial by taking more biology classes.

I am considering rewriting my personal statement to make it stronger for the next cycle.

I will look into volunteering in my community and plan to design a flyer related to preventive care to distribute in my community, dental clinics, restaurants, and pharmacies etc. Most people in my community do not speak English, so I will make it bilingual. Do you think this is a good idea?

Thank you so much. So, in my case, taking upper-level courses will not have much benefits on my application, right? I personally worry about my two bio classes were taken in community college. And I do not have upper level course in my background. I do not know how much will be beneficial by taking more biology classes.

I am considering rewriting my personal statement to make it stronger for the next cycle.

I will look into volunteering in my community and plan to design a flyer related to preventive care to distribute in my community, dental clinics, restaurants, and pharmacies etc. Most people in my community do not speak English, so I will make it bilingual. Do you think this is a good idea?
I think it could be of benefit to take them so long as you do well. Might give schools some confidence in you since you did graduate undergrad a while ago and your grad degree isn't an smp.

I would say it's expected of you to not submit the same PS again, I would rewrite it for sure. Doesn't have to be completely different, but I would add anything additional if you can.

The flyer sounds like a good idea, but you want to make sure you're actively following up with your community and not just creating it, posting it, and leaving it at that. I would say embracing the fact you're bilingual and trying to emphasize that on your application is a good thing. Not everyone speaks more than one language, it can be helpful for treating patients in your community.

Read this thread history. Submitting your application in June likely makes a big difference.

March is coming. Hang tight in case an A comes out of your waitlists.

Take the upper-levels, especially if the schools want you to take them. Your metrics are not the reason you got waitlisted, and I'm sure you'd get top marks in those classes. Perhaps it's your communication skills if your writing reflects your English proficiency. You must revise your PS as per feedback.

Also, what is your plan when you have to leave your self-employed position?

I think it could be of benefit to take them so long as you do well. Might give schools some confidence in you since you did graduate undergrad a while ago and your grad degree isn't an smp.

I would say it's expected of you to not submit the same PS again, I would rewrite it for sure. Doesn't have to be completely different, but I would add anything additional if you can.

The flyer sounds like a good idea, but you want to make sure you're actively following up with your community and not just creating it, posting it, and leaving it at that. I would say embracing the fact you're bilingual and trying to emphasize that on your application is a good thing. Not everyone speaks more than one language, it can be helpful for treating patients in your community.
Thank you for your advice. My personal statement was not good. I rushed to submit my app to use the aid assistance program and did not know I could not edit my application after submission. I will add some relate to why I am interested in dentistry, from my daughter's, my own life and shadowing experiences.

For the flyers, I will actively follow up by updating the content and attending more events.

If Mandarin and Cantonese count as two languages, then I can speak three, not including another dialect.😂

Read this thread history. Submitting your application in June likely makes a big difference.

March is coming. Hang tight in case an A comes out of your waitlists.

Take the upper-levels, especially if the schools want you to take them. Your metrics are not the reason you got waitlisted, and I'm sure you'd get top marks in those classes. Perhaps it's your communication skills if your writing reflects your English proficiency. You must revise your PS as per feedback.

Also, what is your plan when you have to leave your self-employed position?

I knew it was too late for my app, but as a non-traditional student who is getting older, I did not want to waste time. I also sent a letter of intent to my top choice school. I plan to take these classes online in late March UCSD Extension. This will give me more flexible time to strength my app with additional extracurricular activities for the next cycle.

Since starting the postbacc program at NYU in 2022, I have been transitioning my business to my wife. Once I begin with dental school, she will take over the business completely. We have planned for this transition to make sure we do not lose any income.

So your two waitlists are... Buffalo and Rutgers? Again, let's see what happens, but it's good to prepare a reapplication. Get it done right and not rushed.
yes, both are post dec interview.

I will let you guys know what will be happening in march. Thanks a lot.

touro interviews , 3/20 , waitlisted 4/10.
at this point , I have 3 waitlists and no acceptances. Lose hope for this cycle.

Any advice to prepare for next cycle? Taking additional upper level courses? more shadowing or assistant hours? More volunteering ?

If I submit early in June 1, however NYU will take 4-6 weeks to submit my committee letter to the portal. Will it hurt ?

Thank you

at this point , I have 3 waitlists and no acceptances. Lose hope for this cycle.

Any advice to prepare for next cycle? Taking additional upper level courses? more shadowing or assistant hours? More volunteering ?

If I submit early in June 1, however NYU will take 4-6 weeks to submit my committee letter to the portal. Will it hurt ?

Thank you
get it in as early as you can
don't worry about if it will hurt your chances unless you can submit individual letters instead...

Thank you
3 interviews with that late of an app means people wanted you
my feeling is that you need to work on interviews...

get it in as early as you can
don't worry about if it will hurt your chances unless you can submit individual letters instead...
I can submit 3 individual letters early and committee letter depends on NYU when will they submit for me. At this case, even if I have 3 individual letters submitted before 6/1, and my app would not consider complete until all letter submitted right?

Last edited:
I think I did not do well in buffalo, because it was 2 on 1, each response would question me again why.

I know 4 people on same date interview on touro got waitlisted

My friend is accepted a few schools with higher stat but waitlist Rutgers.

I do not know how do admission committee ranking applicant, feeling lost at this moment. But I will work on my interview for incoming cycle for sure.

The WAMC profile doesn't say much about experiences done AFTER COVID-19 regarding community service or clinical/dental exposure. I don't know how the OP has improved their position during the application cycle.

Mission fit determines getting an offer. You probably interviewed well, but the mission fit was not so obvious that the adcom felt compelled to accept you with urgency.

The WAMC profile doesn't say much about experiences done AFTER COVID-19 regarding community service or clinical/dental exposure. I don't know how the OP has improved their position during the application cycle.

Mission fit determines getting an offer. You probably interviewed well, but the mission fit was not so obvious that the adcom felt compelled to accept you with urgency.
I am going to get some volunteering experience to improve my position for next cycle. I do not know what else I can do beside taking upper level or requirement course for other schools. Like microbiology, immunology etc.

Thank you to all. I still hope I will get off the waitlist this cycle.

Give yourself at least a few minutes... :) We get a rash of posts where people submit their applications but realize they made some sloppy mistakes and can't unsubmit them. (Article forthcoming.)
That is true, I did not know I could not edit my personal statement until I submitted