Wanna look over my list of schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ranger47

Doctor G
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT PS-13, V-9, WS-M, BS-13
Science - 3.75
Overall - 3.86
Oregon resident, lived in TX for 8 yrs.
white male
research - 1 yr, EMS - 1 yr, hospice volunteer, lots of shadowing, no super big awards or anything.

List of schools:
Baylor
Columbia
UCLA
Dallas
Duke
Johns Hopkins
Mayo
Northwestern
OHSU
San Antonio
The Ohio State
University of Chicago - Pritzker
University of Washington
Vanderbilt
Washington University

I already submitted my AMCAS. I probably shouldnt have applied to U of Washington but its too late now. Do you think I have enought middle/lower tier schools? My buddy had a 3.9 science and a 33 on the MCAT and hasn't gotten in, so maybe Im just paranoid.

Should I add UCSF? Any advice would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should add some more safety schools.

I totally agree with ddmoore. I'm not sure if any schools are "safety" though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it feels odd to talk about "safety" schools when applying for med schools...it's nothing like undergrad safety schools where you apply with close to 100% certainty of getting in.

You've got good numbers but all of the schools on your list are highly to super-competitive. Add 1 "relatively" less-competitive school to your list - like Rush, Loyola, or SLU. As for UCSF - go for it! You've got nothing to lose (except for application fees...)

Thanks for the input everyone!

Ranger47 said:
MCAT PS-13, V-9, WS-M, BS-13
Science - 3.75
Overall - 3.86
Oregon resident, lived in TX for 8 yrs.
white male
research - 1 yr, EMS - 1 yr, hospice volunteer, lots of shadowing, no super big awards or anything.

List of schools:
Baylor
Columbia
UCLA
Dallas
Duke
Johns Hopkins
Mayo
Northwestern
OHSU
San Antonio
The Ohio State
University of Chicago - Pritzker
University of Washington
Vanderbilt
Washington University

I already submitted my AMCAS. I probably shouldnt have applied to U of Washington but its too late now. Do you think I have enought middle/lower tier schools? My buddy had a 3.9 science and a 33 on the MCAT and hasn't gotten in, so maybe Im just paranoid.

Should I add UCSF? Any advice would be great!

First great stats! wow! Honestly, I think you're in pretty good shape and the odds are that you'll get into several of the schools that you listed. I'm not a TX resident but I have to claim ignorance on this, but aren't SA and Dallas mostly for in-state students who have legal residency? If so, I'd probably take them out because of the separate application process might be too big of a hazzle for relatively small chances. How's Ohio state for out-of-staters?

If you like big cities (as indicated by some of your school selection), I'd recommend adding Cornell, Stanford, USC, and maybe NYU, Mt Sinai to your list. They are all great schools that you'll definitely enjoy them if cities are your thang.

I'm not a believer of applying to the "safety" schools. I always believe you should just apply only to schools that you'll be happy in...why would you want to spend 4 years being unhappy? good luck!

SA and Dallas do except some outta staters. SA accepted 12/286 and Dallas 27/360 that applied. Ohio State was 71/1951. (stats from MSAR 04-05) I have already applied to those so we'll se. I will have to check out some of those schools.

USC doesn't accept too many out of staters I thought, maybe Im wrong. I will have to look at some of those schools. I have always lived on the west coast and am kind of weary to head east.

Ranger47 said:
SA and Dallas do except some outta staters. SA accepted 12/286 and Dallas 27/360 that applied. Ohio State was 71/1951. (stats from MSAR 04-05) I have already applied to those so we'll se. I will have to check out some of those schools.

USC doesn't accept too many out of staters I thought, maybe Im wrong. I will have to look at some of those schools. I have always lived on the west coast and am kind of weary to head east.

Yes, UTSW and UTSA accept nonresidents, but do you want to fill out an entirely separate app package just for those two schools? If you do complete the TMDSAS app, may as well just apply to all the schools, since the added cost is minimal.

samurai_lincoln said:
Yes, UTSW and UTSA accept nonresidents, but do you want to fill out an entirely separate app package just for those two schools? If you do complete the TMDSAS app, may as well just apply to all the schools, since the added cost is minimal.
I actually already filled it out and sent it in for Dallas and SA. I might add Houston though.

We here in Texas are extremely protective of our medical schools. State law mandates that AT LEAST 90% of the class be Texas residents. Some, for example Texas Tech, have more like 98% Texans. The Director of admissions at UT Southwestern (Dallas) told my pre-med club that an out of stater would be expected to have an MCAT score about 5 points higher than a Texan to even be granted an interview. That would be an average of 37 compared to 32 for Texans. So, Texas state schools are, in reality, reach schools for all out of state people.

DualSuperLead said:
We here in Texas are extremely protective of our medical schools. State law mandates that AT LEAST 90% of the class be Texas residents. Some, for example Texas Tech, have more like 98% Texans. The Director of admissions at UT Southwestern (Dallas) told my pre-med club that an out of stater would be expected to have an MCAT score about 5 points higher than a Texan to even be granted an interview. That would be an average of 37 compared to 32 for Texans. So, Texas state schools are, in reality, reach schools for all out of state people.
According to usnews, Dallas accepts 11.0% of out of state residents who apply and 15.6% of instaters. That doesn't sound like much of a difference to me. Admissions people tend to exaggerate. I think living in TX for 8 yrs and my stats will help me too. I guess I will let you know!

I agree with the above posters. If you're going to apply to a couple of Texas schools, I would go ahead and apply to them all, with the possible exception of A&M, since it has one hell of a secondary.

Your stats look really good, although your nine might hurt you a little with the very competitive schools. I would still add a couple more lower-tier schools just for insurance.

One question -- if you've been living in Texas for 8 years, how are you not a resident? Have you been in school (other than high school) for all that time?

I lived (past tense) for 8 years (2nd-9th grades)