Want to do ortho/muscle rehab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sixteenstones

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want a career in ortho rehab/musculoskeletal rehab/pain management. Is my best bet to do a PM&R residency or FP then a sports fellowship? I do not have much interest in neurology/stroke rehab, but can tolerate it and do see the long-term rewards in it. I am just a little apprehensive about doing 3 years of residency that is really inpatient stoke rehab. Overall, PM&R seems the best option, but I would like a little advice from those doing it.

Also, I want to go to Indianapolis (IUMED) for residency, what are my chances with these numbers:

D.O.
Class rank 35/230
COMLEX I 629/93%
USMLE I 230/93
Good LOR's

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

PM&R would be your best choice, far better than FP w/ a sports fellowship for what you want to do.

You will not be doing 3 years of stroke rehab. More like 2 months or so.

Indiana has a nice smaller size program. I interviewed there and liked it quite a bit. Do a search for my review.

It is not the most difficult PM&R residency spot to get...many people like myself really dislike Indianapolis.

With your scores, which are excellent by the way, you will have no problem getting at least an interview at any PM&R residency program.

Best, ligament

Originally posted by sixteenstones
I want a career in ortho rehab/musculoskeletal rehab/pain management. Is my best bet to do a PM&R residency or FP then a sports fellowship? I do not have much interest in neurology/stroke rehab, but can tolerate it and do see the long-term rewards in it. I am just a little apprehensive about doing 3 years of residency that is really inpatient stoke rehab. Overall, PM&R seems the best option, but I would like a little advice from those doing it.

Also, I want to go to Indianapolis (IUMED) for residency, what are my chances with these numbers:

D.O.
Class rank 35/230
COMLEX I 629/93%
USMLE I 230/93
Good LOR's

Thank you.

Sounds like you want to do a musculoskeletally-oriented PM&R practice which is very popular these days. While inpatient rehabilitation is not for everyone, there are definitely valuable things to learn from it. Specifically, you learn what *REAL* disability is all about. Musculoskeletal medicine is definitely very cool and where I want to be, but the reality is that most of what you see in the MSK world is the "walking wounded" compared to people who have learned to cope with real catastrophic injuries.

Indianapolis is a good program--you should also check out Mayo. Several KCOM people have interviewed up here lately. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would strongly advise anyone NOT to have anything to do with the IU pmr program...they have probably had more residents leave the program than finish...i would not believe anything the chairman/rd has to say...he runs the program like his personal fiefdom...as a do, he really will not want you there...the 'doctors' at the va are bottom tier, as is the pmr program...this place should be a last resort

interesting comments prefontaine. care to expand?

My observations were on interview day info only. What kind of contact have you had w/ this program?

best, Ligament

WOW....please, please please give me some more info on the IU pm&r program. It is top choice for me based on geography (ie I am from Indy). Please fill me in. I am very sincerely interested in what you have to say about the place.