Want to do research, but low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

retrofusion720

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The PI I would like to do research for requested for my GPA. However, I know that if I give to her my actual GPA, I would have been rejected because it is very low. Is there a way I can explain to the PI about my low GPA and how I am willing to commit to research? I am willing to work for free and volunteer my time for it.

Members don't see this ad.

This happened to me in undergrad. Do you have an upward trend? Recent classes to show strong performance? Recommendations that can vouch for your ability?

If you have any of these things, maybe it can help. Honestly you just have to be upfront about it and hope for the best. Explain yourself but keep it succinct and mature/show that you own up to your past mistakes. I had a couple labs turn me down, but eventually one did take me on. If worse comes to worse, keep searching for opportunities and don't give up. Keep finding ways to improve yourself and your grades in the meantime. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure I see the benefit in investing time towards research when your GPA is low. Only the higher tier MDs are really looking for research heavy students. You should be bringing that GPA up instead of investing time in other things. When you have your GPA under control then invest time in the MCAT and ECs.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure I see the benefit in investing time towards research when your GPA is low. Only the higher tier MDs are really looking for research heavy students. You should be bringing that GPA up instead of investing time in other things. When you have your GPA under control then invest time in the MCAT and ECs.

That's a good point. However, raising that GPA would be minuscule and it would take very long time to get into a respectable GPA (~5-6 years). I understand that very few medical schools consider research, but I also would like to be well-round applicants in the future saying commit to a research lab for about 2-3 years. Would a better plan be take a DIY postbacc for a whole year then try to sell myself with an upward trend if everything goes right?

I don't know what your GPA is but nobody looks well rounded with a 2.8 GPA and 10,000 hours of research.
You want med school get your GPA up.
Then take the MCAT and get some clinical and volunteer experience. Or choose something else. Or tell people you are premed and doing research and don't mention your 2.xx GPA...

That's a good point. However, raising that GPA would be minuscule and it would take very long time to get into a respectable GPA (~5-6 years). I understand that very few medical schools consider research, but I also would like to be well-round applicants in the future saying commit to a research lab for about 2-3 years. Would a better plan be take a DIY postbacc for a whole year then try to sell myself with an upward trend if everything goes right?

Yes, a gap year(s) postbacc is probably a better idea than research.

However research can be a very good gap year job. Work at a university and get tuition benefits, many research jobs can be flexible in hours, etc so getting some research experience before you graduate can make you a better potential hire after you graduate.