Wanting to become a Pharmacist

an0nymous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a high school sophomore (really early, I know haha) and I am considering going to a Pharmacy school, specifically University of the Pacific since you don't need a Bachelor's to apply into the school. Heard it's really competitive though :(

What can I do to make myself a more attractive applicant when I finally become a senior and apply? I have been looking into volunteering & doing internships at a hospital, but it's tough unless you have contacts... I am taking Chem Honors next year & hopefully AP English, and I'll also try to switch into Alg 2 Honors & AP Psychology. Currently I have a 4.0 gpa.

I feel a little screwed, however, because for these first 2 years of high school I haven't done any EC's at all. I've gotten good grades, all above C's. Got any suggestions to help me get into Pharmacy school? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well UoP is a great school! Now while you don't need a bachelors having one makes you super competitive. Also scoring high on the PCAT even if its not required. As far as classes in high school take AP bio, Human A and P, try to take Calc or trig. A lot of these Cali schools are picky in terms of not being biased to undergrads they like the undergrads to expand out to other schools but that doesnt mean they wont accept you.

-keep up the GPA
-Get involved in clubs/activities
-Volunteer
-Make good friends with a teacher you like so you can get a recommendation from them later on.

I also have another thing, University of Pacific is good pharmacy school but there is other colleges that admit students into pharmacy without a BS degree.

For Example: I am attending Rutgers University(New Jersey) starting Fall 2010 and they have an excellent 3+3 Pharmacy School program where you do 3 years undergraduate and then start 3 years in pharmacy school. My older brother is in this program and is competitive but do able.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could go to one of the 0-6 programs on the East Coast, if they're still around when you start college. You enter as a freshman and don't have to reapply to get into the professional phase. You just have to keep a certain GPA. Many of the schools don't care much about ECs, just about grades and SAT scores. Most of these schools are private though, so not very cheap (but I bet not more expensive than Pacific).

The only problem is that I don't want to move to the East Coast to do my schooling... The members of my family won't even allow it. I think i'll look into it though, & when i'm a senior i'll try to apply to the schools including UoP and if I don't get accepted into UoP but into the other schools, I guess i'll have to talk to them about it then...