WAOOWW the ALLO THREAD <3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LAman10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I just got accepted to several med schools and I'm ecstatic. I never really had a top choice, and now I'm struggling to decide between 3 of them. I know it's still really early to decide, but in my eyes (using the criteria I deem important) they are pretty equivalent. But like I said, that's with MY criteria. I'm just wondering.... what factors about a school do you all wish you had taken into consideration when choosing where to go, factors that non-matriculated students might underestimate/overlook? Thanks a bunch!

Note: I'd rather not name names of the schools I'm considering, as i don't want specifics about each school, but they are all top 20 schools

Edit: I apologize if I'm not supposed to be venturing into the ALLO <3 <3 forums... just didn't know how else to get good opinions

Members don't see this ad.

1) Cost
2) Weather
3) Competitiveness of the students

4) Distance from home/stuff that matters in your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Curriculum is also important, some schools teach very differently from others.

Just warning you that this is a decidedly premed question so it will likely get moved to the appropriate forum. (Forums are by topic but lots of med students go to the preallo forum to answer questions so you will still get your question answered)

To answer the question:

Quality of the student body (helpful, not competative against each other) was super important to me. Also if I had had more options to chose from an important factor would have been location.

Curriculum is also important, some schools teach very differently from others.

Do curricula really differ that much between schools?
I was under the impression that most places, especially in the first two years, were basically Step1 prep courses. I admit teaching styles are very different among teachers, but this is something you could never predict or factor into your decision.

But if I'm wrong, choosing the correct curriculum should most definitely be the biggest deciding factor for me.

EDIT:
sorry, by "schools," I meant "<3 <3<3 <3<3 <3 AlLo SkOoLsLoL."
hopefully OP can understand me better that way.

I was under the impression that most places, especially in the first two years, were basically Step1 prep courses. I admit teaching styles are very different among teachers, but this is something you could never predict or factor into your decision.

But if I'm wrong, choosing the correct curriculum should most definitely be the biggest deciding factor for me.

EDIT:

the material is the same, but the way it is presented from school to school is different. Some are heavy on lectures, others are heavy on PBL. Some are block, others are not.

OP, make a list of the factors that are most important to you and rank them. Then see how each school lines up. Only you can answer what is most important to you. Congratulations! :luck:

How about grading system? some still go by the old A, B, C, D, F marks but most have either pass/fail grades or at mine it is something like 70-90%=pass 90-95%=high pass and 95-100%=honors

1. cost
2. cost
3. did I mention cost?

Just warning you that this is a decidedly premed question so it will likely get moved to the appropriate forum. (Forums are by topic but lots of med students go to the preallo forum to answer questions so you will still get your question answered)

To answer the question:

Quality of the student body (helpful, not competative against each other) was super important to me. Also if I had had more options to chose from an important factor would have been location.

*sob* it has been moved :(

EDIT:

thank you, but unfortunately this thread is now in the -__- >__< pre-allo >__< -___- forum

couldn't you have used the search function and read one of the billion threads regarding this topic that already exsist?

Here, I'll help you. --> ** Click Me ** <--

so I just got accepted to several med schools and I'm ecstatic. I never really had a top choice, and now I'm struggling to decide between 3 of them. I know it's still really early to decide, but in my eyes (using the criteria I deem important) they are pretty equivalent. But like I said, that's with MY criteria. I'm just wondering.... what factors about a school do you all wish you had taken into consideration when choosing where to go, factors that non-matriculated students might underestimate/overlook? Thanks a bunch!

Note: I'd rather not name names of the schools I'm considering, as i don't want specifics about each school, but they are all top 20 schools

Edit: I apologize if I'm not supposed to be venturing into the ALLO <3 <3 forums... just didn't know how else to get good opinions

I'm not yet a medical student and, as such, have not had to make this decision. If I were having to make this decision, however, the first thing I would want to know is the different types of teaching/learning that are used at each of the schools; i.e. Problem Based Learning (PBL), Lecture Based, etc.