Warfarin Pharmacogenetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

widmaerjm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
quick question:

What resources is needed to set up a schedule for warfarin using a patients genes as oppose to the traditional method and is the benefits substantial to the cost associated with it?

any input in the subject will be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Who can afford genome testing for 1 specific drug? My school tried telling me this was the future of pharmacy, yeah whatevs.

Reactions: 4 users
Start at 23andme.com and waste $100 and then realize what we do now is the best way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try referencing the CPIC guidelines for info. I'm not at home, so I can't send the link.

From what I remember, there is really mediocre evidence for support of the use of CYP2C9 and VKORC1 genotyping for dosing. And my understanding is that it is mainly used for initial dosing. You will still use INR monitoring to guide dose adjustments. Warfarin algorithms (warfarindosing.org) I think were recommended over simple Pgx testing. Many of the studies though look at time in therapeutic range and they don't look at clinical outcomes.

Cost is the cost of the test, depending on who's performing the test. Genotyping is relatively inexpensive these days, but insurance certainly isn't going to pay for it unless solid evidence for improved clinical outcomes is shown.

In class we got to do some basic Pgx testing for ourselves. Our school partners up with a diagnostics company to provide genotyping results for a few metabolizing enzymes and some clinically relevant receptors/enzymes -- about 20-25 genes in all.

Our hospital is testing the implementation of CYP2C19 testing to guide antiplatelet selection (clopidogrel v. prasugrel) for patients who present with ACS and undergo PCI. Kinda interesting.

Reactions: 1 user
Now you're just being lazy. It's ok to ask for an idea, it's not to ask for answers. Any by deleting your old thread indicates you know it's wrong

i deleted it cause i could not figure out how to delete it or close it. the answer to the question i asked is easily found on google i was interested in the cost people were seeying in practice and the feedback from a simple thread will not write a 12 page paper but the insight is extremely appreciated so please dont troll

i deleted it cause i could not figure out how to delete it or close it. the answer to the question i asked is easily found on google i was interested in the cost people were seeying in practice and the feedback from a simple thread will not write a 12 page paper but the insight is extremely appreciated so please dont troll

Um, no offense, but you have 3 posts, and you are calling a valued member with 1,711 posts a troll? Really. Think about it.

Reactions: 3 users
it isn't hard to dose warfarin...it's just tedious. there is little value to such genetic testing.