warm-weather interview attire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gongmonkey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from chilly michigan and have an interview at UCLA in december. what should i wear? being hot and sweaty just adds to the general nervousness and uncomfortable aspect of it all. any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

i was just there - and it was a wee bit chilly in a t-shirt at night. i would consider a long sleeve shirt or really light sweater. what perfect weather

thanks for the info, but what i was wondering is do i HAVE to wear a traditional suit (long jacket, pants, long-sleeved shirt) or can i ditch the jacket and wear a short-sleeved button-up shirt, and do i have to wear nylons if i'm going to wear a skirt?

Members don't see this ad :)
it is pretty unlikely to be above 70 or 75 in la in december -- mid to high 60's is most likely. if i were you i'd wear a regular suit.

I had several interviews in the south in august and september, and I live in the south, so here is my $.02.

1) Don't ditch the suit. I know for all job interviews on my college campus, it is still expected that you wear a suit, even if it is over 90 degrees outside.

2) From what I've found, suits are surprisingly good in a wide range of temperatures. Usually the cloth is thin enough for summer temps (unless you are in teh sun a lot or walk around a lot) and yet thick enough for cooler temps.

3) You could always deviate and wear the button down + tie, but I think you should be refered to the "hunter green suit" thread.

4) Rain is the only weather differential that I have experienced that makes interviewing annoying. At all of my interviews it has been raining during or after my interview, and the few time I've gotten wet are REALLY annoying.

Take care,

Originally posted by gongmonkey
thanks for the info, but what i was wondering is do i HAVE to wear a traditional suit (long jacket, pants, long-sleeved shirt) or can i ditch the jacket and wear a short-sleeved button-up shirt, and do i have to wear nylons if i'm going to wear a skirt?

IMHO, whether it is 30 deg or 85 deg, wear nylons with a skirt. Personally, I think it looks kind of sloppy not to wear nylons. You can always wear a suit jacket with a shell underneath to avoid being uncomfortable with a long-sleeve shirt. I think a tasteful shell (with jacket of course) looks nice and maintains a sleek, classy appearance.

I second the motion about wearing nylons. I think it looks tacky when women don't wear hose with professional business attire.
It is comparable to a guy not wearing socks with a business suit and the Miami Vice look is definitely out. It would be different if you were wearing a sundress or casual clothing, but since that isn't appropriate for an interview, you are stuck.

Definitely wear the suit and nylons.

1- you'll be inside while interviewing
2- it's just as hot in Chicago in September and lots of other places earlier in the season ...
3- you'll be in uncomfortable clothes during certain medical emergencies and you'll be dressed nicely on the wards
4- it's just more professional and respectful

More importantly, I'm wondering whether Jot went with a skirt or pants. Nylons? Jot?

Originally posted by gongmonkey
I'm from chilly michigan and have an interview at UCLA in december. what should i wear? being hot and sweaty just adds to the general nervousness and uncomfortable aspect of it all. any suggestions?

Sorry but you have to wear the same uncomfortable suit at ucla that you would at any other med school interview.