Warning about LORs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocDrakeRamoray

how u doin?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've come across quite a few posts stating that med schools would not know how many schools we have applied to. However, if you look at the printed AMCAS, it shows "Number of assigned medical schools" for each LOR you submit.

I guess unless AMCAS removes it before sending our applications to med schools, which is doubtful.

Members don't see this ad.

Why is it doubtful? At least when I've seen the interviewer's form of my application, it's not the same as the AMCAS one you can print out.

Why is it doubtful? At least when I've seen the interviewer's form of my application, it's not the same as the AMCAS one you can print out.

because I assumed the application med schools receive would be the one that you print out before submitting.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know what happens when you assume :)

I've heard the same as UVAbme, but I can't say I remember first-hand, though I did see the school version of my primary a couple times in passing during interviews.

I've come across quite a few posts stating that med schools would not know how many schools we have applied to. However, if you look at the printed AMCAS, it shows "Number of assigned medical schools" for each LOR you submit.

I guess unless AMCAS removes it before sending our applications to med schools, which is doubtful.

I've heard that the version that you can print out yourself is not the same version that the adcom sees. They remove the parts about which schools you're applying to, etc.

I've seen it and it wasn't the same. Maybe it depends on the school. I think the age I saw had like my picture, birthplace/addy, GPA breakdown and MCAT breakdown on the first page.

I've heard that the version that you can print out yourself is not the same version that the adcom sees. They remove the parts about which schools you're applying to, etc.

Yea don't worry OP. The adcoms won't see your list of schools.

its somewhat common for them to ask where you applied. unless they were testing for honesty, I would guess that they don't have the list of schools.

I saw the copy that one of my interviewers had, and it looked almost exactly the same, but I'm assuming it only has the sections that are relevant to them (personal statement, activities, etc). I don't think they get the section on which schools we applied to.

I've seen it and it wasn't the same. Maybe it depends on the school. I think the age I saw had like my picture, birthplace/addy, GPA breakdown and MCAT breakdown on the first page.

Your primary application included your picture???

Only in the 2001-02 cycle did we see the list of schools applied to. That was the first year that AMCAS went electronic and it was a nightmare! Bugs were worked out & adcoms will not see your list of schools or know how many schools you've applied to.

Even if they did know why would it matter? are med schools as naive or presumptious to think that we are only applying to one school and their school is god so we should only attend there? I mean they have to realize this process is very hard and you have to apply to many many schools to get in....I dont see why it would be a bad thing. What do they expect?

Even if they did know why would it matter? are med schools as naive or presumptious to think that we are only applying to one school and their school is god so we should only attend there? I mean they have to realize this process is very hard and you have to apply to many many schools to get in....I dont see why it would be a bad thing. What do they expect?

Some people worry that their application won't be taken seriously if they look like a slam dunk at another school that is either far more prestigious or much less expensive (or in a warmer home state).

Some people worry that their application won't be taken seriously if they look like a slam dunk at another school that is either far more prestigious or much less expensive (or in a warmer home state).
LizzyM, I've been wondering if this could work against applicants from Texas when applying OOS. Any thoughts? From looking at acceptances and rejections and interview invites on mdapps, it seems that it is at least possible that Texas applicants to OOS schools ranked similarly to some of the Texas schools get shown very little love.

Could it be that the OOS schools are thinking about their yield of these Texas applicants potentially being less (because of the difference in costs) ? I doubt that's the case at the top tier schools but at schools ranked similar to the Texas schools (other than Baylor and Southwestern) I think it could be happening.

Based at least somewhat on that (but mostly on the fact that I like many of our Texas schools) I'm not really applying to schools outside Texas that would be considered "safer" bets (I won't use the word "safety" to describe ANY allopathic medical school).

Last edited:
It is possible that someone might put a TX applicant on the waitlist rather than give a straight out offer with the idea that if the TX applicant is really serious, then they'll write a letter of interest.

Some schools that want to protect their yield (proportion of offers accepted) may do this.

More often, we have far more people than we can make offers to and we put people on the waitlist (because they are very,very good but ranked just a little bit lower than the ones getting straight out offers) and say to each other reassuringly, "You know this one is going to get into Baylor and decide to go there rather than come here..." and the same goes for the ones who look like they are headed to UCSF, etc.

Last edited:
AAAACCCKKK!!! I mean......

Thanks, LizzyM. I'll really work on my "why LizzyM med school is the place for me" essay. ;)

When you get interviews, do your homework and look through the school's website. Then formulate a few questions not answered on the website that are related to your particular interests and experiences. This shows an interest in the school that can influence the interviewer to rank you more highly than someone who has no questions and doesn't seem to have much interest in the school other than showing up for the interview.