WARNING: DON'T let any SDNer Read Your Personal Statement.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phar

The Pacifist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:thumbdown:

WARNING!
The SDNers who are willing to proof read your essay *maybe* CROOKS:eek: Instead of helping you, they may get your ideas and/or copy your essay which in turn would be detrimental to your own chances of getting accepted.

Honestly, i would suggest an outsider(non-sdn) to do the proof reading. There are so many ways you can find someone to proof read your essay or even give you new ideas.
-Advisor
-English professors
-friends.
-writing techniques

Yes, it is very nice of them to offer such a help.....Since when do you trust the internet?

Don't take a risk!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
phar, stop posting.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dude....i stated *maybe*. It is upto to them to decide. I am just trying to give them a different point of view.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh no...people are gonna go at it again...

I find Phar's premise here-- don't trust people offering to read your personal statement on the internet because there is always risk of fraud and misrepresentation-- especially relevant coming from a guy with phar's posting history whose SDN title is "pacifist." Caveat emptor.

Originally posted by WatchingWaiting
I find Phar's premise here-- don't trust people offering to read your personal statement on the internet because there is always risk of fraud and misrepresentation-- especially relevant coming from a guy with phar's posting history whose SDN title is "pacifist." Caveat emptor.

Indeed, very much true.

But you seem to have an indirect discourse ('underestimating my credibility'). My indirect response would be :rolleyes:

A little help from phar turns to an outcry....the natural setting of pre-allo

Most of the sdners reading personal statements are already accepted into medschool and have no reason to steal anyone's ideas.

Originally posted by phar
:thumbdown:

WARNING!
The SDNers who are willing to proof read your essay *maybe* CROOKS:eek: Instead of helping you, they may get your ideas and/or copy your essay which in turn would be detrimental to your own chances of getting accepted.

Honestly, i would suggest an outsider(non-sdn) to do the proof reading. There are so many ways you can find someone to proof read your essay or even give you new ideas.
-Advisor
-English professors
-friends.
-writing techniques

Yes, it is very nice of them to offer such a help.....Since when do you trust the internet?

Don't take a risk!!!

Didn't you write a fairly dramatic (hmm.. histrionic) post a short while back about how you were leaving SDN because people weren't being nice to you? Why are you back?

I though that list was very helpful for 2003-04 applicants, going to go add myself to it now that you have brought it to my attention.

If someone could take your personal statement, than its not a veyr good personal statement. My statement was so unique to my own situation, that anyone that took it better know all about my family and my unique degree.

But, yeah if i was writing it again, i wouldn't have someone read it on here either. I'd rather just have some close friends or family read it.

well, its just like those that cheat in relationships are always the most possessively jealous - because they infact believe everyone else is capable of the exact things that they would do in that situation! I think most SDNers have better things to do than 'steal' other peoples personal statements, but if people were really paranoid about it then they could check old posts to ensure that person had already been accepted and so had no reason to want a new PS.

i think it's sad that someone would think of something so lowly and is to paranoid that the world is out to get them.

to all those who offered to read statements, thank you for doing that =) for some of us, our parents can't help us read our statements cuz they barely know english, and it is nice to get feedback from people other than friends cuz they won't be afraid to be blunt.

Members don't see this ad :)
phar brings up a good point about being prudent in handling application materials. There is always that 'what if' factor to think about and be aware of.

I can't believe I'm saying this :confused:... but phar does have a point.

I'm surprised at how much I trust SDN and the forum for my med school. I trust it enough to make contacts w/other posters in private and exchange email and tell them about myself and try to meet potential roommates. I've wondered lately whether there are any fake personas out there...

anyone else have these thoughts? :confused:

sunflower79

i just checked out the thread that goodmonkey posted...just the first post cuz i refuse to read everything. i don't see much wrong with what phar posted there. there isn't anything wrong with encouraging people from following their dreams...i'm not going to really comment on his lying on the application except i know a great deal of people who have at least stretched the truth...i'm sure MANY of you reading this post know what i'm talking about.

he's just presenting a different approach to helping ppl here on SDN...and i'm gonna have to agree with NE_cornhusker1...

phar has a point no doubt, but it is an obvious one. besides, he said it like an ass. instead of "warning: be wary of who reads your personal statement", it says "warning, DON'T LET ANY SDNer read your personal statement." that is not only insulting to me and other reviewers, but borderline libelious. coming from a self-admitted LIAR, who LIED on his APPLICATION, as well as someone who is widely regarded as an idiotic troll, I am hesitant to give him any benefit of the doubt on his supposed good intentions.

Originally posted by ~EnnI~
i just checked out the thread that goodmonkey posted...just the first post cuz i refuse to read everything. i don't see much wrong with what phar posted there. there isn't anything wrong with encouraging people from following their dreams...i'm not going to really comment on his lying on the application except i know a great deal of people who have at least stretched the truth...i'm sure MANY of you reading this post know what i'm talking about.

he's just presenting a different approach to helping ppl here on SDN...and i'm gonna have to agree with NE_cornhusker1...
you must have missed the part where he wrote that he faked his application, saying that he did research when in fact he did none.

you must have missed the part where he wrote that he faked his application, saying that he did research when in fact he did none.

At least he didn't say he was a middle-aged Mexican woman. Boy was that embarrassing when I showed up for my interviews...

Personally I found letting someone read my essay was very helpful, albeit by someone already in med school. I think my story was unique enough that it couldnt be copied either. (thanks carbon again!).

Maybe I'm naive, but I think that even in the world of competitive pre-meds, most people are inherently good.

i guess i did miss that...it's the obvious point that i don't disagree with.

Hey, I have to say I also agree with Phar and some other post-ers about this topic. I asked a few people on SDN if they'd be willing to read my essay and the first guy who read it wrote comments I can still hardly believe. They were really unconstructive and hostile, and he said things like the example of my dying relative was 'stupid'. He also 'corrected' my grammar in a very sarcastic way - and he was wrong.

In conclusion he said he thought that 'overall it was a pretty awful essay ...'

:rolleyes:

I can't see how this kind of appraisal is helpful to anyone and so Phar's point of do you trust this person is better taken when you know who you're dealing with like a professional or a professor, or someone who knows you and who doesn't have any reason to mess around with you. This guy was just a jerk so I got what I paid for I guess ...

hey Woolie,
I am sending you a PM right now.

For all other SDNers, I think Woolie's concern is a fair one. I am sending him/her a list of references, i.e. ppl whose essays I have edited. If you send me a PM I can send the list to you too. Take their word for it, not mine.

One other thing you can do if you wanna screen for essay readers is to browse the forums and see who's been giving helpful advice. For me, UCLAman, Street Philosopher, oldman, manicmaven and jmwalker (just cuz she's cool ;) ) come to mind. *sheesh, I hope you all don't get slammed with essays now!* And of course you wanna see how long they've been around and how many posts they've contributed.

sunflower79 :)

I also just wanna add Woolie's first essay reader was pretty lame. That person might just be a troll :rolleyes: or an applicant looking to snuff out competition :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Personally, I take this seriously or else I wouldn't volunteer. Also I have no personal interest since I am already going to med school :D So I recommend you seek out ppl in the MD 2007 class as readers (no offense to the 2008 peeps :cool: )

sunflower79 :)

Originally posted by WatchingWaiting
I agree. Can we say "projection?" :rolleyes: