Warning for graduating residents!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PMG03470

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure this has been said many times before... But I am finishing my first year out of residency and I wanted to state my experience briefly for those to read and hopefully avoid a bad first experience themselves (even though based on everyone I talk to, this seems like a right of passage in Podiatry).

1) If you see a job ad that has been up for months... take it as a warning sign! Also pay attention to whether its a job thats advertised year after year (high turn over)

2) If an opportunity seems too good to be true... it is!

3) Make sure you know what you are willing to do for work, ask exactly what the job entails (many Pods will hide parts of the job from you). For example if you don't want to do nursing homes verify they are not part of the job!

4) Hire a lawyer before signing no matter how simple the contract seems (especially if the employer tells you there is no need to hire one :-| )

5) Reach out to previous associates and ask why they left... also look for how many associates there have been in the past (if there is more than a couple, run!)

6) If you are a female and considering having kids, make sure your contract has a maternity leave clause... no employer cares about you.

My experience... First off I will state I am an idiot, I took the very second offer I was given because it seemed like a dream come true. I didn't hire a contract lawyer because I was told by the new employer that "the contract is so simple, you don't need a lawyer". The offer was a one year associate position with buy out after 1 year. I was told initially before signing that there was one half day nursing home a week, ended up being multiple nursing homes totaling 40-50 hours a month. I also found out shortly after starting that there has been approximately 7 associates in the past 6 years (whoa!). After signing I found out that the asking price to buy out was much more money than it was worth and that the prior owner would stay on for 1 day a week, but still wanted 75-100k a year and he told me "the goal is that you will make more once you own it than you do now". Again, I should have asked more about the buying process before I signed because I knew that was a bad deal as soon as I found out more. I have also been told what surgeries to do, when it is my license and I should be the one to determine that. More over, surgeries have been scheduled for me and I did not agree upon the diagnosis, I literally walked into the treatment room never having met the patient and I was made to sign a consent form for a procedure that I did not determine was needed! Lastly, I found out I was pregnant shortly after starting (most of us are over 30 when starting our career finally and unfortunately its safer to have kids before 35 so I did not want to wait any longer). I told my boss and right off the bat he said that I could only have 2 weeks off for maternity leave and I had to use my vacation days for it. There are so many other things that were wrong from the start, but I don't want to go into further details on this post (please PM me if more questions). But it is not ok for our profession to keep taking advantage of fresh out residents like this! I just want to warn graduating residents, hopefully you are all smarter than I was, but please be smart before you sign! DO NOT let yourself get taken advantage of!

If anyone has similar experiences, please post here for residents to be warned!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Thank you for your post. I had a very similar situation happen to me my first job out of residency about 18 months ago. The difference was that I graduated at the height of the COVID pandemic and jobs were very hard to find (I would still argue that a quality job takes a good amount of legwork, certainly more so than our MD/DO colleagues). I had multiple offers as a 3rd year resident all retract due to COVID (I hadn't officially signed anything yet). The last few months of 3rd year I was SCRAMBLING to find a job (which is the absolute worst position to be in bargaining wise, employers know this). I ended up signing on with an awful, awful private practice Podiatry group and it was miserable every day. I did have a lawyer review my contract but honestly, it was so bad and they were only willing to compromise on a couple things (slightly more pay and slightly less horrible non-compete). The bad things about my first job after residency:

1. Horrible non-compete. Would have completely locked me out of the entire city and associated suburbs. They wanted the non-compete to be from the city borders for multiple years. I negotiated it down to less time and also to be from the actual practice locations instead of the city border. It was still bad.

2. Low pay. Less than 100k base salary. I negotiated it up a little bit. I was basically paid as an RN (definitely less than a PA or NP). Bonus structure was set up I think at 30% after 300k but I honestly can't remember. I had so many Medicaid patients thrown at me anyways that I doubt I would hit it anytime soon.

3. I asked to be eligible partnership in the initial contract after one year or to be able to purchase shares of the practice. They let that slide but added an "...at the practice's absolute and final discretion" at the end of it which makes it worthless to begin with.

4. Never discussed call beforehand. It wasn't mentioned in the contract. A few weeks in, they showed me the new on-call schedule for the practice. Basically stating that I would be taking a week of call every few weeks. Never talked about this before. I was OK taking call for my post-ops but not general practice call (though this may be common with PP associates, honestly not sure).

5. We agreed that I would have a dedicated day for surgery one day a week. If I didn't have cases booked then I would just open that up. They were fine with that before I signed. Afterwards? I tried to tell the front desk not to schedule patients on a certain day of the week and was immediately told no. I also thought I could use that day to travel and do my own marketing if I didn't have cases. Ended turning into a huge pain in the ass where I had to run between the surgery center and the clinic for cases.

6. They wanted me to do my own marketing. Literally drive around town, hand out my business cards to private practices and vascular groups, etc. Before they said the practice manager would do everything. Nope. Literally was getting pestered (almost) every day about "Did you see Dr. so-and-so and Dr. X and Dr. Y yet? No? Why not? You don't have time? What about before/after clinic? What did you say? Admin day/time to do that? There is no such thing as admin time! I've been practicing for 40+ years and I've never taken an admin day ever! Back in my day blah blah blah"

7. Benefits were pretty slim. They actually did provide health insurance and paid for the premium too, but it was an absolutely garbage plan. Something like $750 co-pay for an ED visit and an $8000 deductible. No option to cover my spouse (which I hear isn't common with PP Associates anyways). No 401k or retirement. No reimbursement for mileage (despite the expectation that I would drive around on my dime and my own free time too to advertise myself) . I think they originally offered 10 days of PTO a year (I negotiated 14 days). Every day I took off after that would be subtracted from my salary at a rate higher than I was even making. $1000 for CME. Crappy Claims Made policy (they were VERY sure to get that PICA discount for newly graduated residents). They did pay for APMA and ACFAS. They also paid for my DEA but that's not exactly a benefit, more like the minimum needed to practice.

8. It was clear that there would be no nursing home visits before I started. Well, after I started, they started pressuring me to get privileges at several long-term rehab hospitals to go cut toenails before and after clinic or during lunch. Yeah. No thanks. But they brought it up ALL THE TIME until I shot them down and eventually left.

9. One day (it was a Friday afternoon at the end of clinic because of course it was); they add on a trainwreck infected Charcot foot to my schedule as my last visit without telling me. I take one look and tell her she needs to go to the ED immediately for an I&D and IV antibiotics. I dress the foot and then call the ED to give them sign out and then get ready to leave for the day. One of the old pods stops me and asks me why I'm not going to the hospital to do the I&D and round on them everyday afterwards myself. At this point, I knew I wasn't staying long enough to get my bonus so I wasn't trying to do extra work. It was just aggravating to end that particular day with that particular patient and then get flak for not doing even MORE to make the practice money.

Anyways, it was the best possible motivation I could have to find a better job. Good luck to you, and DM me if you have any questions or want to discuss anything specific.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be hiring in some variation of 5-10 years. Class of 2029 get ready.

Plan is:
No nursing homes.
No call.
No rounding/inpatient/ED.
Do give your surgery patients a contact number.
Surgery day is for surgery.
Friday is half day.
Goal is to pound out 20-25 good encounters on decent insurance ie. injections, matrixectomies, orthotics, definitive ulcer surgery, elective outpatient surgery and ugh diabetic crap.
When you've run out of patients you are done.
We try to keep schedule open enough to add profitable encounters ie. same day ulcers, nails

No non-compete. Health insurance premiums* and 401k with match through the practice. Enough CME$ to go to a good conference/training event but not enough to party hard. ABFAS dues, malpractice, licensing, things that the practice should be paying for - through the practice.

*Interestingly we currently buy our health insurance through the chamber of commerce which creates plans for small business in town. My initial feeling was our insurance was crap, but my numbers kick the crap out of southpods above.

I feel like every job that isn't a hospital should be the above. I eat lunch with my wife and kids every single day. That said. How does an idealist set-up maternity leave? Has anyone met someone who was happy about their maternity leave in a private practice?

Should I indicate in my advertisement that the job is only open to dudes (jk, April Fools). :)

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be hiring in some variation of 5-10 years. Class of 2029 get ready.

Plan is:
No nursing homes.
No call.
No rounding/inpatient/ED.
Do give your surgery patients a contact number.
Surgery day is for surgery.
Friday is half day.
Goal is to pound out 20-25 good encounters on decent insurance ie. injections, matrixectomies, orthotics, definitive ulcer surgery, elective outpatient surgery and ugh diabetic crap.
When you've run out of patients you are done.
We try to keep schedule open enough to add profitable encounters ie. same day ulcers, nails

No non-compete. Health insurance premiums* and 401k with match through the practice. Enough CME$ to go to a good conference/training event but not enough to party hard. ABFAS dues, malpractice, licensing, things that the practice should be paying for - through the practice.

*Interestingly we currently buy our health insurance through the chamber of commerce which creates plans for small business in town. My initial feeling was our insurance was crap, but my numbers kick the crap out of southpods above.

I feel like every job that isn't a hospital should be the above. I eat lunch with my wife and kids every single day. That said. How does an idealist set-up maternity leave? Has anyone met someone who was happy about their maternity leave in a private practice?

Should I indicate in my advertisement that the job is only open to dudes (jk, April Fools). :)
In my new contract I negotiated 6 weeks maternity leave (for second baby in a few years, haha) without reduction of my base pay during those 6 weeks. However, if at the end of the contract year I take leave, if I do not make the practice 300k (my bonus threshold), I will owe a kickback to the practice of a calculated salary per day (like $460 I think) of every day taken off that goes over my already contracted 20 days of PTO :). That way I'm still working hard all year to make my bonus threshold, but I'm not penalized for taking maternity leave, which every women should be entitled to :)

I'm praying this next job is great, I have a good feeling about them... but you never know! Or I can come work for you in 10 years.. haha. Don't worry I'll be done having babies by then ;-)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your post. I had a very similar situation happen to me my first job out of residency about 18 months ago. The difference was that I graduated at the height of the COVID pandemic and jobs were very hard to find (I would still argue that a quality job takes a good amount of legwork, certainly more so than our MD/DO colleagues). I had multiple offers as a 3rd year resident all retract due to COVID (I hadn't officially signed anything yet). The last few months of 3rd year I was SCRAMBLING to find a job (which is the absolute worst position to be in bargaining wise, employers know this). I ended up signing on with an awful, awful private practice Podiatry group and it was miserable every day. I did have a lawyer review my contract but honestly, it was so bad and they were only willing to compromise on a couple things (slightly more pay and slightly less horrible non-compete). The bad things about my first job after residency:

1. Horrible non-compete. Would have completely locked me out of the entire city and associated suburbs. They wanted the non-compete to be from the city borders for multiple years. I negotiated it down to less time and also to be from the actual practice locations instead of the city border. It was still bad.

2. Low pay. Less than 100k base salary. I negotiated it up a little bit. I was basically paid as an RN (definitely less than a PA or NP). Bonus structure was set up I think at 30% after 300k but I honestly can't remember. I had so many Medicaid patients thrown at me anyways that I doubt I would hit it anytime soon.

3. I asked to be eligible partnership in the initial contract after one year or to be able to purchase shares of the practice. They let that slide but added an "...at the practice's absolute and final discretion" at the end of it which makes it worthless to begin with.

4. Never discussed call beforehand. It wasn't mentioned in the contract. A few weeks in, they showed me the new on-call schedule for the practice. Basically stating that I would be taking a week of call every few weeks. Never talked about this before. I was OK taking call for my post-ops but not general practice call (though this may be common with PP associates, honestly not sure).

5. We agreed that I would have a dedicated day for surgery one day a week. If I didn't have cases booked then I would just open that up. They were fine with that before I signed. Afterwards? I tried to tell the front desk not to schedule patients on a certain day of the week and was immediately told no. I also thought I could use that day to travel and do my own marketing if I didn't have cases. Ended turning into a huge pain in the ass where I had to run between the surgery center and the clinic for cases.

6. They wanted me to do my own marketing. Literally drive around town, hand out my business cards to private practices and vascular groups, etc. Before they said the practice manager would do everything. Nope. Literally was getting pestered (almost) every day about "Did you see Dr. so-and-so and Dr. X and Dr. Y yet? No? Why not? You don't have time? What about before/after clinic? What did you say? Admin day/time to do that? There is no such thing as admin time! I've been practicing for 40+ years and I've never taken an admin day ever! Back in my day blah blah blah"

7. Benefits were pretty slim. They actually did provide health insurance and paid for the premium too, but it was an absolutely garbage plan. Something like $750 co-pay for an ED visit and an $8000 deductible. No option to cover my spouse (which I hear isn't common with PP Associates anyways). No 401k or retirement. No reimbursement for mileage (despite the expectation that I would drive around on my dime and my own free time too to advertise myself) . I think they originally offered 10 days of PTO a year (I negotiated 14 days). Every day I took off after that would be subtracted from my salary at a rate higher than I was even making. $1000 for CME. Crappy Claims Made policy (they were VERY sure to get that PICA discount for newly graduated residents). They did pay for APMA and ACFAS. They also paid for my DEA but that's not exactly a benefit, more like the minimum needed to practice.

8. It was clear that there would be no nursing home visits before I started. Well, after I started, they started pressuring me to get privileges at several long-term rehab hospitals to go cut toenails before and after clinic or during lunch. Yeah. No thanks. But they brought it up ALL THE TIME until I shot them down and eventually left.

9. One day (it was a Friday afternoon at the end of clinic because of course it was); they add on a trainwreck infected Charcot foot to my schedule as my last visit without telling me. I take one look and tell her she needs to go to the ED immediately for an I&D and IV antibiotics. I dress the foot and then call the ED to give them sign out and then get ready to leave for the day. One of the old pods stops me and asks me why I'm not going to the hospital to do the I&D and round on them everyday afterwards myself. At this point, I knew I wasn't staying long enough to get my bonus so I wasn't trying to do extra work. It was just aggravating to end that particular day with that particular patient and then get flak for not doing even MORE to make the practice money.

Anyways, it was the best possible motivation I could have to find a better job. Good luck to you, and DM me if you have any questions or want to discuss anything specific.
You had it bad, possibly worse than me :(

I did not mention my call situation, which is that I am the only one in my practice with privileges (so every practice patient that goes in is mine, no matter who's patient it is in the office). Also I was told that the ER call was every 9 weeks and that mostly it was answering the phone, that I had to physically drive in "maybe once per year". It is every 6 weeks (still not terrible), but I am there every night till 9 when on call doing amps or I&Ds, so very far from maybe going in once per year.

The office manager thinks she is my boss and if I ask the front desk to schedule something a certain way she will tell them to not listen to me. Then I end up scrambling to make it from the surgery center to the office on time (when I was pregnant I had to skip lunch due to timing of things).

I too was offered a really ****ty health insurance (sounds like same plan as you) and when I found that out and knew I would be having a baby I asked them to cancel it and went on my husbands plan (sad that he works in the medical cannabis industry and has better benefits than me as a doctor).

In my new contract I negotiated 6 weeks maternity leave (for second baby in a few years, haha) without reduction of my base pay during those 6 weeks. However, if at the end of the contract year I take leave, if I do not make the practice 300k (my bonus threshold), I will owe a kickback to the practice of a calculated salary per day (like $460 I think) of every day taken off that goes over my already contracted 20 days of PTO :). That way I'm still working hard all year to make my bonus threshold, but I'm not penalized for taking maternity leave, which every women should be entitled to :)

I'm praying this next job is great, I have a good feeling about them... but you never know! Or I can come work for you in 10 years.. haha. Don't worry I'll be done having babies by then ;-)

6 weeks by American standards I suppose is technically decent. I want to say a young lady from the class above me recently posted about how hard it was going back after 2 weeks. I mathematically understand the repayment but its just another variation of the idea that associates are just there to make money for the owner for a little while as opposed to people who will be staying and creating value for years.

I'll set a reminder on my phone for 10 years ;)

• Haha
These practices need to be called out for this BS. Name them all so it would discourage anyone from applying.

Reactions: 7 users
Agree. Need to start naming places

Reactions: 2 users
I would rank working for another podiatrist right up there with going to jail.
hahaha

Do you think this also applies for "younger" private practice owners too?

I'm assuming a lot of the pods in their 60-70's will be phasing out soon. And I would say like 8 out 10 pods our school has us rotate with as third years (all private practice) are in their 30's-50's and own the practice. I'd hope they aren't going to be repeating the cycle, but who knows.

hahaha

I'm assuming a lot of the pods in their 60-70's will be phasing out soon. And I would say like 8 out 10 pods our school has us rotate with as third years (all private practice) are in their 30's-50's and own the practice. I'd hope they aren't going to be repeating the cycle, but who knows.
Anybody who is "younger" is not necessarily going to give you a "better deal". Trust me. I did interview for a private practice job with a practice started by two young docs with the same years of experience as I had. They were offering 150K salary with benefits but I did get the feeling they wanted to dump the clinic where they got the most state insurance patients on me while they worked their new clinic in a better area. It would have been hard to bonus under those circumstances. Like I have said before, I have NEVER seen a private practice offer that rivals the total financial compensation/benefits package that most hospitals/ortho groups/ MSGs offer podiatrists. The only way to make money in private practice is to start your own practice. It will take 2-3 years to get back in the black.

hahaha

I don’t think younger PP owners are necessarily any more “fair”.

I interviewed with one younger PP owner who seemed to think that straight 30% with no base was fair. And kindly offered to “set you up” with a home care company to help supplement the low percent/no base two to three days a week while you built your patient base. And you can do some wonderful home care on saturdays too if you need more money 😒

I feel bad for the young pod that is a big enough sucker to think that’s a good deal and take the job.

• Angry
There is a reason we advise remaining geographically open and working for a hospital, MSG, or otho group.

Most jobs are in PP so not all can do the above.

The thing is most that I know that are at large podiatry groups and doing well often started with what would be considered a bad deal. Low base, more hospital call and a few nursing homes etc. After a couple years when you prove you can produce and have not raised any red flags you buy in as partner and go to the bank for a large loan. So you ramp up for a couple years, then you have to ramp even more for a couple years after you take out the large loan before you can live like a doctor. At the end of the day you will do well in these situations eventually. The problem is these positions are usually filled with residents, by word of mouth, are competitive to get if advertised or in a more remote area.

The bad jobs are always advertised and on paper sometimes look similar to the good jobs. What is the turnover like? How do the other doctors live? Are they doing well and partners also or just associates?

I have not seen solo doctors hiring an associate with potential for partner work out long term that often.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody who is "younger" is not necessarily going to give you a "better deal". Trust me. I did interview for a private practice job with a practice started by two young docs with the same years of experience as I had. They were offering 150K salary with benefits but I did get the feeling they wanted to dump the clinic where they got the most state insurance patients on me while they worked their new clinic in a better area. It would have been hard to bonus under those circumstances. Like I have said before, I have NEVER seen a private practice offer that rivals the total financial compensation/benefits package that most hospitals/ortho groups/ MSGs offer podiatrists. The only way to make money in private practice is to start your own practice. It will take 2-3 years to get back in the black.

Were these 2 pods practicing in central Texas? Lol

These practices need to be called out for this BS. Name them all so it would discourage anyone from applying.

Atlantic Foot and Ankle Specialists in Maryland (job add has been up on Podiatry exchange and PMnews since September)

I believe I interviewed with them too... were they in Connecticut?

Is the 6 weeks excluding PTO.

My offer mentions 37 days of PTO annually which is subject to accrual and includes all vacation, holidays, CME leave, and sick time. No specific maternity leave.

Is the 6 weeks excluding PTO.

My offer mentions 37 days of PTO annually which is subject to accrual and includes all vacation, holidays, CME leave, and sick time. No specific maternity leave.
Nope if I take the 6 weeks maternity leave I get no other PTO that year...

One of the things which can really not be understated is the personality fit of the group/hospital and the doc.

I saw it time and time again, particularly with hospital jobs or MSG, where people took a job since the money was good... yet without ever even really meeting their supervisor to any meaningful degree.
If you have a husband and wife from NYC who have no ties to midwest besides doing residency there and one needing to take a job just to bridge the gap until the other graduates, of course they won't last long as an associate.
If you have a Chief of Pod who likes to ski and snowmobile and do outdoors stuff and a new hire DPM who likes same and is also returning to just an hour from their hometown area, that might be a fit.
Someone from Cali doing a standard midwest associate job just because they can't find anything better probably won't be satisfied.
A resident who likes research staying on as a teaching attending with their residency hospital system may stick awhile.
A strong practice and busy manager and a guy who just wants to do lots of surgery might be mesh well.
A lax and semi-retired owner who wants to put minimal money into the practice and a workaholic associate who wants to start their own solo are going to have dust-ups.

...it is good to consider money and benefits. Always talk to as many past associates, present docs, area competitors, owners and managers, etc as possible. Take your time.

That said, money always matters. Of course the financials and the benefits have to be there. Still, personality and area/job satisfaction should be looked at before compensation is even considered. One person's trash is another's treasure. A job with great benefits and easy hours but no surgery or incentives might be my hell but dozens of other apps are giddy for it. A job with ER calls every weekend and partner docs who all did high power programs might be a deal break for some and cool for others.

Last edited:
One of the things which can really not be understated is the personality fit of the group/hospital and the doc.

I saw it time and time again, particularly with hospital jobs or MSG, were people took a job since the money was good... yet without ever even really meeting their supervisor to any meaningful degree.
If you have a husband and wife from NYC who have no ties to midwest besides doing residency there and one needing to take a job just to bridge the gap until the other graduates, of course they won't last long as an associate.
If you have a Chief of Pod who likes to ski and snowmobile and do outdoors stuff and a new hire DPM who likes same and is also returning to just an hour from their hometown area, that might be a fit.
Someone from Cali doing a standard midwest associate job just because they can't find anything better probably won't be satisfied.
A resident who likes research staying on as a teaching attending with their residency hospital system may stick awhile.
A strong practice and busy manager and a guy who just wants to do lots of surgery might be mesh well.
A lax and semi-retired owner who wants to put minimal money into the practice and a workaholic associate who wants to start their own solo are going to have dust-ups.

...it is good to consider money and benefits. Always talk to as many past associates, present docs, area competitors, owners and managers, etc as possible. Take your time.

That said, money always matters. Of course the financials and the benefits have to be there. Still, personality and area/job satisfaction should be looked at before compensation is even considered. One person's trash is another's treasure. A job with great benefits and easy hours but no surgery or incentives might be my hell but dozens of other apps are giddy for it. A job with ER calls every weekend and partner docs who all did high power programs might be a deal break for some and cool for others.
100%, thank you... I needed to hear this. I accepted a job that I feel really good about, I thought the pay and benefits were pretty good (good enough that my husband and I just signed a contract to build a beautiful 3600 sqft home in the area). Moreover, I felt that I fit in with them... the boss had me zoom interview with all of the associates and I felt at home. They are very big on "not having egos" and I feel that I have not interviewed with 1 single practice that was that way, and I myself have no ego and would love to work with others who just help each other out and bounce ideas off each other. However, I was reading the job offers thread yesterday and started freaking out because what I thought was a good salary with good benefits people were saying is crap (140k base and 27% bonus over double salary- the original offer was only 110k base but they wanted me and went up what to what I thought was decent). But thanks for these words, because it is so true. I will fit in here and not feel stressed constantly and I know I will not get belittled. I could have taken my highest $$$ offer, but I would have been on ER call every 2 weeks and had to do a full day NH every other week and I would have wanted to shoot myself.

140k base and 27% bonus over double salary- the original offer was only 110k base but they wanted me and went up what to what I thought was decent).

Man. That is depressing. But there's more to life than money and if it's a good fit with a good work/life balance...don't let me poo-poo on your dreams. Good luck!

27% sounds like FASA in the Olympia area. But at the time that was straight 27% of collections AFTER your CME and benefits were taken out of the collections pot…

Imagine have collections of $1 million and grossing $250k…at the most.

• Haha
(140k base and 27% bonus over double salary- the original offer was only 110k base but they wanted me and went up what to what I thought was decent).

27% of collections... only in podiatry...

100%, thank you... I needed to hear this. I accepted a job that I feel really good about, I thought the pay and benefits were pretty good (good enough that my husband and I just signed a contract to build a beautiful 3600 sqft home in the area)....
You are buying a house and land when you have not worked a day on the new job yet?
And when your last job was over in less than a year?

I hope your spouse is a very good earner... and you are going to a place with no non-compete enforcements. Best of luck.
As you know, a lot of jobs sound good on the phone or at a quick look.

Reactions: 5 users
Atlantic Foot and Ankle Specialists in Maryland (job add has been up on Podiatry exchange and PMnews since September)
Oh wow, I assumed they paid pretty well because of their size and rapid growth

Pretty much this is another useless job board along with Podiatry exchange and PMnews: https://www.healthecareers.com/acfas/search-jobs/
Now we know the secret to their rapid growth.
This ad has been up for years for their rapid growth
This is a career move, not just a job.
At least this job is honest and puts 100-125k base up front (probably with some low ball bonus percentage like the others).

Not sure why others are being so negative. It a good first job as far as PP goes. It usually does not get much better than this for a first job in PP. Not everyone gets hospital/MSG/Ortho.

Eventually if production is high your contract will need to be renegotiated for a higher percentage or you will need to buy in to become a partner.

If your spouse is a high earner you might not even want to become a partner.

Get ABFAS certified ASAP.

I do hope as others have mentioned, your non compete is not too bad, it is in an area you know you want to live and your spouse has a very good job (or family money etc) building a house like that right away.

You are buying a house and land when you have not worked a day on the new job yet?
And when your last job was over in less than a year?

I hope your spouse is a very good earner... and you are going to a place with no non-compete enforcements. Best of luck.
As you know, a lot of jobs sound good on the phone or at a quick look.
I agree.

But to be fair you're an eternal renter so maybe a bit biased!

But yeah buying a large house right away is everyones dream (Most people, myself included, like real estate). It feels right. But usually want to stay in the job 6-12 months and rent before doing so.

Reactions: 2 users
Here's why I disagree about the whole lawyer thing. It's a complete and utter waste of your money. A lawyer's job is to find everything wrong with the contract you present them. And then what? Sadly, you have only one means of negotiating power with an employer. Saying no to the contract outright. Do you think a lawyer will protect you when/if the **** hits the fan? Nope. They will ask for money to "help" you. Money you shouldn't waste. As an associate, leaving a practice, what are you going to fight? As an associate, staying in that practice, what are you going to fight?

Owners already know they are going to break the contract. Because it's not worth the money it's written on. Are you going to go after them and spend tens of thousands of dollars fighting for something? What? A few thousand they owe you? Them not giving you vacation time? Them lying to you about what kind of work they expect from you?

The ONLY reason to potentially go after your employer is for a non-compete type of situation. And even then, it'll cost you a ton of money to fight for what? That's assuming they even go after you for it. The best thing you can do for yourself is document EVERYTHING. Especially the non savory stuff. And then when/if you past employer goes after you for whatever, you have some ammunition to deflect their attempts. THAT's what it's about.

I agree.

But to be fair you're an eternal renter so maybe a bit biased!

But yeah buying a large house right away is everyones dream (Most people, myself included, like real estate). It feels right. But usually want to stay in the job 6-12 months and rent before doing so.
My partner bought good chunk of Boxabl shares last week... I bought a bit (since I'm not rich like her). Does that count as real estate?

Maybe we will annex a corner of the forest or the city park and get us a casita or two; could always just take it away on a trailer if we moved :unsure:

My partner bought good chunk of Boxabl shares last week... I bought a bit (since I'm not rich like her). Does that count as real estate?

Maybe we will annex a corner of the forest or the city park and get us a casita or two; could always just take it away on a trailer if we moved :unsure:
I had to google that one. Interesting company. 50k house (plus cost for plumbing/electrical hookups etc... and no foundation?) sounds interesting.

Not sure I could live in a park in a 350sqft home tho. I wish you the best of luck.

I had to google that one. Interesting company. 50k house (plus cost for plumbing/electrical hookups etc... and no foundation?) sounds interesting.

Not sure I could live in a park in a 350sqft home tho. I wish you the best of luck.
Lol, we wouldn't do that... just an investment to hopefully make some money. Those are mainly geared towards Cali and other warm places where houses are $1M+++ and people are tripping over each other. The pre-fab structures will get used as ADU rentals out there (instead of people trying remodel their house or get garage up to code to to rent it out to help offset their massive mortgage payments). They also work for quick housing for work sites, emergency relief, military, etc installations, etc. Like most of the (non-podiatry) accredited investor or IPO stuff I try, it will probably do very well or very terrible... basically never just breaks even or double.

Recently saw a job posting on PMNews and felt it was my due diligence to caution graduating residents (or anyone, really). I know how tough it can be to sift through what is legitimate and what is a scam, especially when you are fresh out.

One piece of advice I can give to graduating residents is to go to the state board's website and look up disciplinary actions against licensed doctors in that state. Some states may be more public than others with these records. But it is worth educating yourself on if a practice you are interviewing with has owners or associates who have been investigated or disciplined by the state board for shady practices, etc.

And because I actually want this to be useful information, I will provide a specific example. I recently saw a job posting on PMNews for Frederick Foot and Ankle in Maryland (mynewfeet.com) that jogged my memory and compelled me to make this post. The owners of this practice were investigated and disciplined by the state board for financially exploiting patients, overutilizing health services, and unprofessional practice. This is corroborated by previous employees who say horrible things about the practice, but I will leave subjective experiences out and simply state what is objective here. Full documents are publicly available on the Maryland state board website for anyone curious.

Just wanted to give anyone active in the job search a heads up. Really wish when I was actively looking for a job people straight up told me places to avoid. I know the list of horrible private practices to avoid is extensive and largely based on subjective experiences, I suppose. But in this case there was an objective investigation and disciplinary action. It's professionally detrimental to waste a year or more at a toxic practice and I just want people to be well informed.

Also, if your grandma lives in that town, might want to let her know to avoid this place too.

Reactions: 4 users
Recently saw a job posting on PMNews and felt it was my due diligence to caution graduating residents (or anyone, really). I know how tough it can be to sift through what is legitimate and what is a scam, especially when you are fresh out.

One piece of advice I can give to graduating residents is to go to the state board's website and look up disciplinary actions against licensed doctors in that state. Some states may be more public than others with these records. But it is worth educating yourself on if a practice you are interviewing with has owners or associates who have been investigated or disciplined by the state board for shady practices, etc.

And because I actually want this to be useful information, I will provide a specific example. I recently saw a job posting on PMNews for Frederick Foot and Ankle in Maryland (mynewfeet.com) that jogged my memory and compelled me to make this post. The owners of this practice were investigated and disciplined by the state board for financially exploiting patients, overutilizing health services, and unprofessional practice. This is corroborated by previous employees who say horrible things about the practice, but I will leave subjective experiences out and simply state what is objective here. Full documents are publicly available on the Maryland state board website for anyone curious.

Just wanted to give anyone active in the job search a heads up. Really wish when I was actively looking for a job people straight up told me places to avoid. I know the list of horrible private practices to avoid is extensive and largely based on subjective experiences, I suppose. But in this case there was an objective investigation and disciplinary action. It's professionally detrimental to waste a year or more at a toxic practice and I just want people to be well informed.

Also, if your grandma lives in that town, might want to let her know to avoid this place too.

Ironically the practice I had worked for had a location in Frederick, MD as well. That is the practice I originally started this post about. But the practice I worked for was Atlantic Foot and Ankle specialists (Not to be confused with foot and ankle specialists of the MID Atlantic). The practice owner is Scott Henry. I don’t think he had any known legal issues. However he is a real piece of work

If you read the complaints it says she tossed tons of dme to the patient that is unnecessary. I hope that VA practice that is grossing $2m for one provider and offering 300k to an associate is taking notice!

Here’s a piece of advice that’s much shorter to read and easier to understand: if you work for another podiatrist then you are going to get screwed

If you read the complaints it says she tossed tons of dme to the patient that is unnecessary. I hope that VA practice that is grossing $2m for one provider and offering 300k to an associate is taking notice!

Yes, important for new grads to know what realistic numbers are so they don't get scammed. This Frederick F&A practice allegedly tells their associates $1 million in collections is AVERAGE for a first year associate. But in reality, it's shady billing and exploiting patients financially.