Warning to new grads and those looking for employed positions!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeguru

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I saw on previous threads that there was a discussion about Luxottica and what they did to there previous employed docs. I wanted to warn everyone to STAY AWAY FROM LUX!!

I was an loyal employee of Lenscrafters for over 15 years. I was promoted and crossed brands over to the Pearle side this past year. We had a conference call in which we were told that "hours for Optometrists would be reduced". There was absolutely nothing stated or told to us that salaried Optometrists would be demoted from there Managing Optometrist positions. Without warning or justification, they demoted ALL managing optometrists. They had OD's working in larger volume locations, in which they had been there for over 10 years, had a strong patient base, and cut there hours as well. They said it was "necessary", to reduce doctor hours due to slower than expected growth in exams. Which is 100% crap!!! There were locations in which Doctors hours were reduced, even though they met or exceeded there new "hours to sales guidelines". Rather than cut the Associate fill in hours at the locations, they still demoted and cut the hours of the Managing Optometrists that were salaried.

It is obvious that Luxottica is targeting a complete "fill-in" network of doctors. This is most cost productive, as there is many OD's out there looking to supplement there income as they start there practice. Anyone considering a career in an employed location needs to look elsewhere!! It is obvious that Luxottica is hoping to cut higher salaries of those that have been with the company for many years, and take advantage of new grads coming out of Optometry school. If you should start off with them, do not except anything under 93,000. This was the starting rate and no doubt they are going to try to get new grads for somewhere around 80,000.
KEEP IN MIND, IF YOU START WITH THEM, THEY DO NOT GUARANTEE HOURS. YOU COULD BE HUMMING ALONG WITH 40 HOURS A WEEK AND THEN WITHOUT WARNING, HAVE YOUR HOURS CUT DOWN TO 30 AND BE SCRAMBLING FOR WORK ELSEWHERE TO PAY OFF THOSE HIGH STUDENT LOANS.
They will tell you if they need to cut hours, they will try to find you work elsewhere. Usually, it is an hour away, but they will make an offer to you and say they tried to give you more hours. Or, they will try to make you spread 38 hours or so over 6-7 days. HMM, lots of people like to get less hours, make less money, but work more days??
This is just the tip of the iceberg, I could go on and on, about the BS that you have to go thru as an employed optometrist with Lux. I would be more than glad to answer anyones questions if they are considering this modality.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I saw on previous threads that there was a discussion about Luxottica and what they did to there previous employed docs. I wanted to warn everyone to STAY AWAY FROM LUX!!

I was an loyal employee of Lenscrafters for over 15 years. I was promoted and crossed brands over to the Pearle side this past year. We had a conference call in which we were told that "hours for Optometrists would be reduced". There was absolutely nothing stated or told to us that salaried Optometrists would be demoted from there Managing Optometrist positions. Without warning or justification, they demoted ALL managing optometrists. They had OD's working in larger volume locations, in which they had been there for over 10 years, had a strong patient base, and cut there hours as well. They said it was "necessary", to reduce doctor hours due to slower than expected growth in exams. Which is 100% crap!!! There were locations in which Doctors hours were reduced, even though they met or exceeded there new "hours to sales guidelines". Rather than cut the Associate fill in hours at the locations, they still demoted and cut the hours of the Managing Optometrists that were salaried.

It is obvious that Luxottica is targeting a complete "fill-in" network of doctors. This is most cost productive, as there is many OD's out there looking to supplement there income as they start there practice. Anyone considering a career in an employed location needs to look elsewhere!! It is obvious that Luxottica is hoping to cut higher salaries of those that have been with the company for many years, and take advantage of new grads coming out of Optometry school. If you should start off with them, do not except anything under 93,000. This was the starting rate and no doubt they are going to try to get new grads for somewhere around 80,000.
KEEP IN MIND, IF YOU START WITH THEM, THEY DO NOT GUARANTEE HOURS. YOU COULD BE HUMMING ALONG WITH 40 HOURS A WEEK AND THEN WITHOUT WARNING, HAVE YOUR HOURS CUT DOWN TO 30 AND BE SCRAMBLING FOR WORK ELSEWHERE TO PAY OFF THOSE HIGH STUDENT LOANS.
They will tell you if they need to cut hours, they will try to find you work elsewhere. Usually, it is an hour away, but they will make an offer to you and say they tried to give you more hours. Or, they will try to make you spread 38 hours or so over 6-7 days. HMM, lots of people like to get less hours, make less money, but work more days??
This is just the tip of the iceberg, I could go on and on, about the BS that you have to go thru as an employed optometrist with Lux. I would be more than glad to answer anyones questions if they are considering this modality.

Good info, I just wish more new grads could hear this stuff.