Warning to those buying their review materials: TBR Science >> Everything Else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

To be MD

Med School Or Bust
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I basically spent a full month of time reading and re-reading reviews of different prep materials for the 2015 MCAT and came out with the following:
- EK for overall content review
- TBR for passages
- TPR for Psych
- TestingSolutions/EK101/TPRH/AAMC for Verbal

--But with Regards to the Sciences Bio/Biochem/Phys/Chem/Orgo--

Though I bought the right materials, I fell way behind on my studies because EK & 30 minute exams are not enough for content review. For the sciences, TBR is where your science review is really going to happen... you can glaze over EK for bright pictures and a couple of practical jokes, but the real content review is going to come from not just from TBR passages but from reading TBR.

Reading an EK chapter doesn't prepare you for anything besides their 5-7 mini reviews within chapters. You get to an EK 3o min exam, and you're way out of your comfort zone because you haven't dealt with any real application of the material. TBR, on the other hand, gives you the opportunity to do problems as you are learning the material (Orgo/Phys/Chem) and for Bio do practice passages immediately following your reading of each individual sections. It is my firm belief now that it is the practice passages along with the reading material from TBR that gives you the biggest bang for your buck in the sciences.

I really wish I could go back in time and kick the idea of the "EK is solid overall content review" out of my head, because they really don't do enough interaction with material. It cost me a month of studying, and I don't want the same to happen to you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally don't agree with using TBR for reading. This test has become more about passage taking skills and doing as much practice as possible. Content review will take you only so far, after that is critical thinking. What I am doing is EK for content review, then all the corresponding TBR Passages for that chapter, and also the EK 30 min exams.

From March to May I will be taking as many practice tests as possible. Just gotta get that darn CARS up!

Reactions: 2 users
I personally don't agree with using TBR for reading. This test has become more about passage taking skills and doing as much practice as possible. Content review will take you only so far, after that is critical thinking. What I am doing is EK for content review, then all the corresponding TBR Passages for that chapter, and also the EK 30 min exams.

From March to May I will be taking as many practice tests as possible. Just gotta get that darn CARS up!

Yea! I've heard this can work for a lot of people.

For me, I have a weak background in Biology (haven't had the classes in 5 years), so I need the details as well to grasp the big picture.

My first month involved reading EK, doing 30 min exams, and then trying TBR passages... but the depth I got in EK just wasn't enough for me to understand what was going on in a TBR passage.

***Maybe, SDN, a good combo strategy would be read EK for breadth, read TBR for depth, and then apply this to passages.

I'll see what happens.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is TBR sufficient for someone who forgot all of the gen chem pre-req information and still needs to take one year of physics?

This test has become more about passage taking skills and doing as much practice as possible.

I agree 100% it's about doing passages and then reviewing the answers to become a better test taker. But one of the things in the BR reading section you are going to miss out on with your plan are all of the short cuts. They are labeled in the physics books and chemistry books. As long as you have those books, you really should look at all of the test taking tips. There are maybe 100 or so listed, so it's not too much.

I think the general consensus on here is without a doubt that tbr is the most detailed of the prep books... so for gen Chen review I'd say you should be good.

However, studying a new topic that you've never seen is something you may need to supplement with outside sources for. Like khan or AK lectures or something. I tried prestudying physics 2 over winter break with TBR and quickly re-routed my plan bc I could tell it wasn't going to be sufficient as a standalone and I have physics 2 this semester anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you so much! I was thinking of supplementing with some of the open ware courses but just wanted to make sure TBR was the way to go. Thank you

I think the general consensus on here is without a doubt that tbr is the most detailed of the prep books... so for gen Chen review I'd say you should be good.

However, studying a new topic that you've never seen is something you may need to supplement with outside sources for. Like khan or AK lectures or something. I tried prestudying physics 2 over winter break with TBR and quickly re-routed my plan bc I could tell it wasn't going to be sufficient as a standalone and I have physics 2 this semester anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
hank

I need to check out TBR still, but alot of people have had success with EK+Khan academy. Obviously this is dependent on how well your knowledge of the material is before you start.

Hey SDN,

I basically spent a full month of time reading and re-reading reviews of different prep materials for the 2015 MCAT and came out with the following:
- EK for overall content review
- TBR for passages
- TPR for Psych
- TestingSolutions/EK101/TPRH/AAMC for Verbal

--But with Regards to the Sciences Bio/Biochem/Phys/Chem/Orgo--

Though I bought the right materials, I fell way behind on my studies because EK & 30 minute exams are not enough for content review. For the sciences, TBR is where your science review is really going to happen... you can glaze over EK for bright pictures and a couple of practical jokes, but the real content review is going to come from not just from TBR passages but from reading TBR.

Reading an EK chapter doesn't prepare you for anything besides their 5-7 mini reviews within chapters. You get to an EK 3o min exam, and you're way out of your comfort zone because you haven't dealt with any real application of the material. TBR, on the other hand, gives you the opportunity to do problems as you are learning the material (Orgo/Phys/Chem) and for Bio do practice passages immediately following your reading of each individual sections. It is my firm belief now that it is the practice passages along with the reading material from TBR that gives you the biggest bang for your buck in the sciences.

I really wish I could go back in time and kick the idea of the "EK is solid overall content review" out of my head, because they really don't do enough interaction with material. It cost me a month of studying, and I don't want the same to happen to you!
Is EK good if you already have a handle on the subject? I don't want some detail heavy book for all subjects, just the one's I am not strong in.

Is EK good if you already have a handle on the subject? I don't want some detail heavy book for all subjects, just the one's I am not strong in.

EK is one of the best prep companies out there. They're solid.

For practice questions, though, TBR was king. EK has new books with practice questions now... so maybe you could use them exclusively.

EK is one of the best prep companies out there. They're solid.

For practice questions, though, TBR was king. EK has new books with practice questions now... so maybe you could use them exclusively.
TBH I never heard of TBR until coming to SDN. Do their practice passages mesh well with the official exam?

TBH I never heard of TBR until coming to SDN. Do their practice passages mesh well with the official exam?

Yes. They have the best practice questions on the market--as of summer 2016. Maybe EK's new stuff is better, though. Haven't read through them.

Yes. They have the best practice questions on the market--as of summer 2016. Maybe EK's new stuff is better, though. Haven't read through them.
Does TBR offer lots of passage practice in the science books? I am leaning towards NS or TPR science books because they seem to offer more passage practice, which is what I want most.

DaAlienist:

In terms of number of practice passages TBR can not be beaten at the moment. I see EK just came out with their 101 passage series, but I have not looked at that as yet. However, TBR have tons of practice passages/question. Best of luck with your journey.

Yeah, we're a small company that started in 1989 and officially came into existence in 1992. We made a choice back in 1996 to keep it to a limited number of locations rather than expand and water down the quality. We've actually the second oldest MCAT preparation company. As for our passages, we have them assembled in three groups (known as phases). The first passages are designed to review the basic concepts, and they focus on knowing the material. The second phase emphasizes test skills and timing, where many of the answer explanations focus on how to reason through a question quickly and at times with suggestions how to navigate a question you may not fully understand. The last group emphasizes realism and should mesh perfectly in terms of style and question types.