Warning: UMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helix3912

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all future applicants:

Congrats on making a fine career choice! Dentistry will offer the opportunity to improve the lives of many people and have a great personal life. I am writing to warn you about the dental program at Maryland. As a recent graduate of Maryland, I advise you to avoid UMD as your school!

The admissions people will try to lure you in with the brand new building, advanced equipment, and great faculty. But those who have been here know better. UMD is plagued with the same problems that were present at the old building; nothing has changed when it comes to bureaucracy, internal power-struggles and corruption.

The student becomes last! The administration and faculty are so concerned about their "lofty" positions that they will do whatever in their power to protect themselves. Education takes a back-seat as the student does whatever he/she can to graduate at whatever cost. They preach on ethics and morality, but in the end they only care if you stay off their radar. The motto of the school is: "Do whatever it takes, just don't get caught."

Now, I know this sounds like one bitter student venting some stream, but a majority of my peers share my sentiment. We are all in fear of speaking out to the administration, and we also know that student concerns carry no weight at this school. Too many of the higher-ups have been around since the stone age, holding onto the same methods and traditions that may have worked back in the 60s but not anymore.

For the honest, hard-working students who want to learn dentistry in a open environment, this school is not for you. If you like to cut corners, cheat, lie, and "do whatever it takes," this is the perfect place for you, just don't get caught. If you like to cry and make a scene in front of faculty to get your way, this school is for you. If you have money or powerful connections, this is the place for you.

I hope at least some of you promising applicants heed this warning. If not, you may find yourself here someday warning others as I am doing. Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. 1 post. You have quite the reputation around here...

Anyways- I'm a rising D2 and have no real complaints about the school. I like the curriculum and the professors. I have no real problems with the administration... we have had many exams changes due to scheduling conflicts thanks to them.

I know many 3rd and 4th year students also (I play soccer with them) and have never heard of such complaints. Yeah, they want to graduate so they can practice dentistry and finally make some $, but I've never met one that shares the same sentiments as the OP.

So, yeah, there is my 2 cents. Best of luck in the future helix--I'm sorry you've had a crappy experience.

jb!:)

Man, ...I guess it really is important to take what people say on here w/ a grain of salt because a majority of students I have spoken to are enjoying their experience...:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
This is probably the first time I've heard anyone complain about UMD! And I know at least 15-20 people (different years) that go there. I'm going to write this off as a pissed off student.

This is probably the first time I've heard anyone complain about UMD! And I know at least 15-20 people (different years) that go there. I'm going to write this off as a pissed off student.

+1

To all future applicants:

Congrats on making a fine career choice! Dentistry will offer the opportunity to improve the lives of many people and have a great personal life. I am writing to warn you about the dental program at Maryland. As a recent graduate of Maryland, I advise you to avoid UMD as your school!

The admissions people will try to lure you in with the brand new building, advanced equipment, and great faculty. But those who have been here know better. UMD is plagued with the same problems that were present at the old building; nothing has changed when it comes to bureaucracy, internal power-struggles and corruption.

The student becomes last! The administration and faculty are so concerned about their "lofty" positions that they will do whatever in their power to protect themselves. Education takes a back-seat as the student does whatever he/she can to graduate at whatever cost. They preach on ethics and morality, but in the end they only care if you stay off their radar. The motto of the school is: "Do whatever it takes, just don't get caught."

Now, I know this sounds like one bitter student venting some stream, but a majority of my peers share my sentiment. We are all in fear of speaking out to the administration, and we also know that student concerns carry no weight at this school. Too many of the higher-ups have been around since the stone age, holding onto the same methods and traditions that may have worked back in the 60s but not anymore.

For the honest, hard-working students who want to learn dentistry in a open environment, this school is not for you. If you like to cut corners, cheat, lie, and "do whatever it takes," this is the perfect place for you, just don't get caught. If you like to cry and make a scene in front of faculty to get your way, this school is for you. If you have money or powerful connections, this is the place for you.

I hope at least some of you promising applicants heed this warning. If not, you may find yourself here someday warning others as I am doing. Thank you for your time.

Nothing in what you wrote tells anybody of any problems at the school. You exert that there are issues of "bureaucracy, internal power-struggles and corruption," but you failed to let us know why or how. Not one single example. Not one single sentence that goes beyond incredibly vague assertions. After reading your entire post, I don't get a sense of a single problem at the school. Only that you feel there's a problem.

I bet the OP is actually someone applying to UMD or somebody on the waitlist desperate to get in.

Listen, my only purpose in posting was to share what I have experienced during my 4 years at UMD. If you don't believe me, that's fine. If your upperclassman friends are doing well, that's great. But humor me, ask these people, who had a "great experience" at UMD, if they did anything unethical, unmoral, or "shady" to stay on par. Don't be surprised if they look like a deer in headlights.

And for those of you who haven't experienced the wonders of clinic yet, just wait. See what new requirement pops up every month, of how many items get put "in process" by Phillips, or how hard it is to get a chair for your patient, or how whiny girls with big endowments get a free pass.

I know the people in my class who have no complaints. These are the same people who have the reputation of unethical behavior. They get a slap on the wrist (if caught), and are allowed to continue. For the person who wanted an example, 2 students decided to preceed with fixed work in 3rd yr before allowed to, got caught, faced the judicial board, and are currently happliy on their way to graduation. Nice guys/gals finish last here.

If you don't believe me, that's fine. We are all entitled to our ideas. I have nothing more to say.

Listen, my only purpose in posting was to share what I have experienced during my 4 years at UMD. If you don't believe me, that's fine. If your upperclassman friends are doing well, that's great. But humor me, ask these people, who had a "great experience" at UMD, if they did anything unethical, unmoral, or "shady" to stay on par. Don't be surprised if they look like a deer in headlights.

And for those of you who haven't experienced the wonders of clinic yet, just wait. See what new requirement pops up every month, of how many items get put "in process" by Phillips, or how hard it is to get a chair for your patient, or how whiny girls with big endowments get a free pass.

I know the people in my class who have no complaints. These are the same people who have the reputation of unethical behavior. They get a slap on the wrist (if caught), and are allowed to continue. For the person who wanted an example, 2 students decided to preceed with fixed work in 3rd yr before allowed to, got caught, faced the judicial board, and are currently happliy on their way to graduation. Nice guys/gals finish last here.

If you don't believe me, that's fine. We are all entitled to our ideas. I have nothing more to say.

Are you a dentist now? Most dentists are proud of the school that gave them their DDS degree....

Honestly, what you are describing/feeling occurs EVERYWHERE!!

Don't you have friends that go to other dental schools?

For the person who wanted an example, 2 students decided to preceed with fixed work in 3rd yr before allowed to, got caught, faced the judicial board, and are currently happliy on their way to graduation.
What do you think a suitable punishment for this would be? I'm not condoning what these 2 people did, but do you think they should be expelled or held back a year?

So the girls did work before they were supposed to. Is that an offense worthy of expulsion from school? You indicated that you're frustrated they didn't expel your peers. Was that what you wanted, sicko? Now I'm beginning to think less that the school has numerous problems as much as you're somewhat not right in the head. And I have yet to understand how MD students demonstrate acts that are "unethical, unmoral, or 'shady'." Assertions without support.