was my MCAT the real issue round 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luv2learn143

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new to SDN and reading about re-applicants success/failures is stressing me out.

I originally applied to 25 MD schools in August of 2010 right before my senior year of college. I had a 28Q MCAT, 3.9 overall, 3.78 science GPA, 4 summers (2 from high school and 2 from college) intern experience at a private medical practice, research in health psychology and a lot of leadership roles at my college. I was so naive in applying to only mid-tier schools and using geographic location (anything within 5 hours of New Jersey) and was flat out rejected everywhere.

I finished up May 2011 with a BS in Psychology with a 3.9 overall and the same 3.78 science GPA. In the last year since graduation I have been working at a cancer clinic and I re-took my MCAT got a 32O. This next year I will be doing research in the psychiatry department at a major medical center and volunteering at a local hospital.

That is my life story thus far and what I would really like to know is, am I a competitive applicant for US MD schools? I am not aiming for cream of the crop schools I would be very happy with anything on the East Coast, preferably NJ/NY tri-state area. But I am not opposed to applying to schools in the south and mid-west as well, I won't let geography get in the way of my lifelong dream.

I plan on submitting AMCAS in the start of June this time around, whats really holding me back is my personal statement. Do I start over? I feel I've exhausted the ways in which I can explain why I want to be a doctor in my PS and secondaries the first time around....

Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Like you said, definitely apply first thing in June. Did you get any interviews in Round 1? If not, I think that's ridiculous because I think you deserved to according to your credentials. (I have similar stats to yours, slightly lower GPA, and I got no interviews this round [also my Round 1!]...I've been interviewed for MS programs and they've even wondered why I didn't get any, so that's why I'm hoping you at least got a few).

I think your MCAT is just fine with the 32. What are you going to do during the application year? Volunteer? School? Make the most of it.

MCAT and applying late were probably what did it. 32 is fine now.

Hey everyone, I am new to SDN and reading about re-applicants success/failures is stressing me out.

I originally applied to 25 MD schools in August of 2010 right before my senior year of college. I had a 28Q MCAT, 3.9 overall, 3.78 science GPA, 4 summers (2 from high school and 2 from college) intern experience at a private medical practice, research in health psychology and a lot of leadership roles at my college. I was so naive in applying to only mid-tier schools and using geographic location (anything within 5 hours of New Jersey) and was flat out rejected everywhere.

I finished up May 2011 with a BS in Psychology with a 3.9 overall and the same 3.78 science GPA. In the last year since graduation I have been working at a cancer clinic and I re-took my MCAT got a 32O. This next year I will be doing research in the psychiatry department at a major medical center and volunteering at a local hospital.

That is my life story thus far and what I would really like to know is, am I a competitive applicant for US MD schools? I am not aiming for cream of the crop schools I would be very happy with anything on the East Coast, preferably NJ/NY tri-state area. But I am not opposed to applying to schools in the south and mid-west as well, I won't let geography get in the way of my lifelong dream.

I plan on submitting AMCAS in the start of June this time around, whats really holding me back is my personal statement. Do I start over? I feel I've exhausted the ways in which I can explain why I want to be a doctor in my PS and secondaries the first time around....

Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Just buckle up and find your inner motivation and a 32/3.9 will be perfectly fine for getting you into med school this time. Apply on-time and stay on top of your game.. make sure this is the last time you ever have to go through the process, your stats are certainly good enough. Regarding your first attempt, the difference between a 32 and a 28 to most adcoms is astronomical, you should like your chances this time.

* With your new MCAT, you went from being below the national average MCAT for ALL applicants to a score higher than the national average for ACCEPTED applicants.