Wash. U. 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had to use pliers on the "curiously hard to open" pen box last year. It was a hilarious scene - the box was completely destroyed before I managed to extract the pen.

Also: I don't speak for the revisit committee or anything, but I believe that the "business attire" for Friday evening is just referring to looking sharp for the symphony. "Business attire" probably isn't the right word for it, but you get the idea.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm... I got more of the impression that Froday evening would be "nice, going out to dinner" sort of clothes, not business attire. Although, I guess that's a clearer distinction for girls... I'd much rather wear a swirly dress than a stiff business suit to dinner. :)

I remember there was an earlier e-mail that said a jacket was recommended for guys (and not the member's only kind, I assume). I was just going to go with a suit because its easier, but I suppose if some guys wanted to be more creative they could be. I think for the ladies y'all would be much freer to wear a swirly dress than a business suit (we are going to the symphony, after all).

Hm, did anyone get anything from WashU via Fedex? I got this call that they have smth for me which I'm picking up in 2 hrs. It better be smth good...

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe it's a scholarship....

Exciting.

Hm, did anyone get anything from WashU via Fedex? I got this call that they have smth for me which I'm picking up in 2 hrs. It better be smth good...

Let us know! Premature (?) congratulations!

Intriguing... let us know! :luck:

Sorry for the false excitement guys. I haven't picked it up because, on a second thought, it is most likely (99%) just the info regarding how to set up an escrow account and deposit my 4-year tuition & living budgets. Sucks to be an international student... I was not gonna skip class for it.

The fact that no one else has gotten anything yet further supports this idea.

Oh well. Got me excited anyway. Any time frame for when decisions will go out? Someone posted May 1 and someone posted essentially now or next week.:confused:

Me too! A disappointing number of them seemed either self-aggrandizing or socially inept... sometimes both. The actual students, however, were much better. Still, I'm looking forward to Second Look, even despite the ridiculous amount of money it takes to fly from Charlottesville to St. Louis. Man, you guys better be cool, or I'm asking for a refund. ;)

I've been accepted to washU, will probably matriculate (MSTP). I had the same thoughts about some of my fellow interviewees at WashU (Mr. Tee--you're not one of them). Fortunately Harvard and Hopkins have stolen the social awkward ones from my interview group :) everything is going as planned...

I'll be revisiting on the 6-8th of april (but I think that's different from the MD revisit? can't remember)

I've been accepted to washU, will probably matriculate (MSTP). I had the same thoughts about some of my fellow interviewees at WashU (Mr. Tee--you're not one of them). Fortunately Harvard and Hopkins have stolen the social awkward ones from my interview group :) everything is going as planned...

I'll be revisiting on the 6-8th of april (but I think that's different from the MD revisit? can't remember)

They're having MST's revisit over Easter weekend? Interesting... plus, there'll be no one here - we have spring break next week.

They're having MST's revisit over Easter weekend? Interesting... plus, there'll be no one here - we have spring break next week.

To the earlier question, yes, the MD second look is the following week, starting Friday the 13th :eek: and wrapping up Sunday. It looks like it will be a really fun time.

Cardinals game or brewery tour? :D

Members don't see this ad :)

Unless you are inordinately fond of Clydesdales, pick the Cards game.

Caveat: I'm such a Cards fan that I have a jersey and wear it, not only to games, but at home when I'm watching games. :)

I'm not the hugest fan of baseball, but I enjoy the whole ballgame experience and atmosphere. Although, I'm also a very big fan of beer. Do you think we'd get beers at the ballgame? Also, the concept of Bud doesn't exactly get me hot and bothered anyway. Gosh, I can't believe how wonderful this second look seems. Is anyone else as excited as I am?

Meanwhile, anyone know when the scholarship decisions are released, or has anyone heard? I had no love from UMich which I was really hoping for, so would love to know if I can even think about a scholarship from WashU, or if I should start using the acceptance for jockeying for scholarships elsewhere... ugh, I wish med school weren't so expensive....

See y'all at second look though?

well that sorta stinks..

I'm not the hugest fan of baseball, but I enjoy the whole ballgame experience and atmosphere. Although, I'm also a very big fan of beer. Do you think we'd get beers at the ballgame? Also, the concept of Bud doesn't exactly get me hot and bothered anyway. Gosh, I can't believe how wonderful this second look seems. Is anyone else as excited as I am?

See y'all at second look though?

One can definitely get beer, but they might make us buy our own. Mostly, it's A-B products, but there's one stand that has Red Hook, Anchor Steam, and a couple beers from the local microbrewery, Schlafly. Schlafly, with its Tap Room and Bottleworks pubs, is one more thing that makes St. Louis a really pleasant place to live.

See y'all and 2nd Look.

Definitely the Cardinals game. For one, the brewery tour is usually free and these tickets definitely aren't. Second, if you're a fan of beer, there will be plenty of AB products for your consumption at the game (though I imagine we'll have to pay for these ourselves). Third, as I'm sure the admission staff reminded you at least ten times on your interview day, these are the World Series champions!

See you all in two weeks....

Edit: How ironic, it's the Cards vs. the Brewers April 14th.

Sorry for the false excitement guys. I haven't picked it up because, on a second thought, it is most likely (99%) just the info regarding how to set up an escrow account and deposit my 4-year tuition & living budgets. Sucks to be an international student... I was not gonna skip class for it.

The fact that no one else has gotten anything yet further supports this idea.

I'm quoting myself but yes, that is indeed what I have received. No need to get excited yet guys, the scholarships are still left in the air:D

(And I thought for 3 minutes that I had it! :( I can't believe that I was deluded enough to believe myself to be anywhere close to being among the 20 best students selected by WashU this year)

I'm quoting myself but yes, that is indeed what I have received. No need to get excited yet guys, the scholarships are still left in the air:D

(And I thought for 3 minutes that I had it! :( I can't believe that I was deluded enough to believe myself to be anywhere close to being among the 20 best students selected by WashU this year)

You never know! When I started the application process I had high hopes for being accepted at an MSTP, maybe U of Cincinnati......

hahahah no one picked the zoo? i picked the brewery b/c i figured it was indoors and i hate heat so i didn't want to sweat and look gross on my first impression.

hahahah no one picked the zoo? i picked the brewery b/c i figured it was indoors and i hate heat so i didn't want to sweat and look gross on my first impression.

FYI breweries are usually pretty hot and humid. And the yeast smells HORRIBLE, although this as before my chemistry research days so I'll probably be used to it. Did you guys already reply with your choice? I didn't know they had asked yet...

For all of you waiting with baited breath, I picked the Cards game. We'll have to scope out the be(er)verage vendors together.

As for the scholarships, I'm sure the selection process isn't just, "who are the best students we admitted this year?" but more, "who is going to make the best out of this opportunity?" So I would say we all have a shot for trying. :)

So for those of you who haven't decided, last year during orientation, we went to a Cards game, and the school rented out two Redbird Row rooms (I think that's what it's called). Anyway, they were box seats with outdoor bleacher seating, and an all-you-can-drink-until-the-7th-inning-stretch open beer bar (A-B products), and all-you-can-eat hot dogs, nachos, etc. If they do that for second look, that's so much better than the brewery - you can to to A-B anytime, but getting awesome seats at a Cards game? Impossible (especially nowadays).

So for those of you who haven't decided, last year during orientation, we went to a Cards game, and the school rented out two Redbird Row rooms (I think that's what it's called). Anyway, they were box seats with outdoor bleacher seating, and an all-you-can-drink-until-the-7th-inning-stretch open beer bar (A-B products), and all-you-can-eat hot dogs, nachos, etc. If they do that for second look, that's so much better than the brewery - you can to to A-B anytime, but getting awesome seats at a Cards game? Impossible (especially nowadays).

Oh hell yeah. Cards game here I come...

the convincing is unnecesary, you had me at "yeast". i already emailed to switch from the steamy yeast fest to the cards game. now, the box seats and hot dogs are just icing on the cake. so hopefully i'll see all of u at the game, now i just have to locate a cards t-shirt. washu provided boxseats...strangely this reminds me of growing up with my dad when washu used to do the same for employees and their fams.

Got my financial aid decision today. No juicy scholarship like I was (unrealistically) hoping for. Had confirmation that they had all the necessary paperwork in on 3/14, so looks like about a 2 week turnaround time. If they're giving out financial aid decisions already, I can only assume that the scholarships have all been decided on anyways. Welp, with no scholarship from WashU, Emory, or UMich, my decisions are quickly becoming easier...

I guess it will be kind of awkward at second look knowing I proably won't be attending...

Heh, I picked the zoo. I'm such a dork. I want to see the penguins!

Got my financial aid decision today. No juicy scholarship like I was (unrealistically) hoping for. Had confirmation that they had all the necessary paperwork in on 3/14, so looks like about a 2 week turnaround time. If they're giving out financial aid decisions already, I can only assume that the scholarships have all been decided on anyways. Welp, with no scholarship from WashU, Emory, or UMich, my decisions are quickly becoming easier...

I guess it will be kind of awkward at second look knowing I proably won't be attending...

Sorry about the bad news. Where do you think you'll be going? Penn?

Is there any confirmation that the scholarships have been decided on? I thought it might take them a bit longer to read through all of our boring essays.

Sorry about the bad news. Where do you think you'll be going? Penn?

Is there any confirmation that the scholarships have been decided on? I thought it might take them a bit longer to read through all of our boring essays.

No confirmation, but it couldn't have taken them that long, and the essays were quite short. The Hedonistic side of me says Penn (really neat city, incredible school, but 60K/year), but the pragmatic side of me says Baylor (great school, similar curriculum, good city, and waaaaay cheap).

No conformation, but it couldn't have taken them that long, and the essays were quite short. The Hedonistic side of me says Penn (really neat city, incredible school, but 60K/year), but the pragmatic side of me says Baylor (great school, similar curriculum, good city, and waaaaay cheap).

Penn has a reputation for giving generous aid packages, so maybe you can have the best of both worlds.

My financial aid came out today as well. There were some minor scholarships in it, but nothing too "juicy." I'm not convinced though that the big merit awards have been given as according to their website after the EFC is subtracted from the budget, "We fund the first $5,000 with a Federal Stafford Loan, and the remaining need is funded half by scholarship and half by additional loan." A one week turnaround on scholarship decisions would be rather fast, even for just 300 word essays. Keeping holding out hope everyone. :luck:

However, I must confess that logic didn't prevent me from fumbling when opening the three WashU envelopes in my mailbox. Nothing exciting, just an announcement on tuition, a second look letter, and financial aid.

Penn has a reputation for giving generous aid packages, so maybe you can have the best of both worlds.

Meh, someone told me WashU had one too. 4K in scholarhsips and and the rest in loans isn't exactly generous:( .
Damn my 26 year old loser sister being supported by my parents but not claimed as a dependent - could have cut my EFC in half. I love that she gets 2 cracks at an undergrad degree, and I'm out in the cold when pursuing a graduate degree :mad:.

Well, we could call or e-mail the office to get an ETA on merit scholarship decisions. Someone with a financial aid package in hand might want to volunteer? I don't have one yet and don't want to be seen as a presumptuous pest. ;)

I got 0 scholarship and my EFC is over the budget, great stuff :). Lets hope some of us get lucky with the scholarships, if not here I come debt :D

Well, we could call or e-mail the office to get an ETA on merit scholarship decisions. Someone with a financial aid package in hand might want to volunteer? I don't have one yet and don't want to be seen as a presumptuous pest. ;)

123 not it.

You guys are as neurotic as I am. :laugh:

I guess I will just try to find out next weekend.

Meh, someone told me WashU had one too. 4K in scholarhsips and and the rest in loans isn't exactly generous:( .
Damn my 26 year old loser sister being supported by my parents but not claimed as a dependent - could have cut my EFC in half. I love that she gets 2 cracks at an undergrad degree, and I'm out in the cold when pursuing a graduate degree :mad:.

I'd kill for your package. I got a negative need! :mad: State school here I come! Too bad my state schools are so expensive too.

Well, perhaps you will get lucky and that will make the weekend worthwhile. Good luck with the ladies.

Anyone?:confused:

Here's my theory: WashU gives scholarships to over 15% of their incoming class. If they had already been awarded, then at least someone would have posted here or on mdapps about it. As of now, nobody has. Therefore, the scholarships have yet to be awarded.

I haven't gotten anything in the mail, but I somehow found my way back to the financial aid website on the WashU page and clicked through to my financial aid and it said it had been award and included about 28,000 a year in scholarship. Just an FYI Towelie. Good luck everyone else. Just for clarity, I don't really know what this scholarship is, it's one of their "named" scholarships and I don't know if it's merit-based or need-based or what. I'll let you all know if I find out more when/if it comes in the mail.

I haven't gotten anything in the mail, but I somehow found my way back to the financial aid website on the WashU page and clicked through to my financial aid and it said it had been award and included about 28,000 a year in scholarship. Just an FYI Towelie. Good luck everyone else. Just for clarity, I don't really know what this scholarship is, it's one of their "named" scholarships and I don't know if it's merit-based or need-based or what. I'll let you all know if I find out more when/if it comes in the mail.

So I buckled down and sent an email to financial aid. Hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow.

The big ones we're looking for are Distinguished Student (4), Distinguished Faculty (4 - diversity), Distinguished Alumni (4), Barnes-Jewish Hospital Medical Staff Association (1), Olin (10 - female graduate students), and some named ones. According to the finaid website, the first on that list isn't offered until early May....

I'm with Towelie; someone on SDN or mdapps would have said something by now if they had snagged one of these full-tuition merit scholarships. With tuition at $43,380/yr, I don't think any of us on this thread are amongst the lucky few (yet). *crosses fingers*

You should look at your estimated parental contribution. That will tell you whether it is need based or merit based.