Washington State University 2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xXRAYNEXx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. How come there's no thread for WSU this year? I got an interview for this school on Sat. Jan. 21st, 2012. I'll be flying in from Southern California on Friday morning. If anyone interested in carpooling and sharing hotel to split the cost, let me know! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering the same thing! I currently go to WSU but I will also be interviewing on the 21st at the Spokane campus. Washington is quite chilly, so dress very warm!!!

I was wondering the same thing! I currently go to WSU but I will also be interviewing on the 21st at the Spokane campus. Washington is quite chilly, so dress very warm!!!

Thanks for the tip. Mine is for spokane as well. But I don't have any professional-looking warm clothes :( is this your top school?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, well hopefully it's at least not raining/snowing that day! Yes it is my top school, I've been accepted to two other schools but will be attending here if accepted. Where is your top school at?

I've never seen snowing, been spoiled by Cali weather. I honestly can't decide to go to WSU, Albany-NY, or Pacific U-OR. I have interviews for them days apart in January. We'll see which offers are on the table, and i'll decide then lol

I have a friend in P1 at WSU. She said first semester, 5 classmates failed and have to stay an extra year! Make sure u study.

Yay, a thread for WSU! I guess I'll be meeting you guys at the interview on the 21st! :)

I've never seen snowing, been spoiled by Cali weather. I honestly can't decide to go to WSU, Albany-NY, or Pacific U-OR. I have interviews for them days apart in January. We'll see which offers are on the table, and i'll decide then lol

I have a friend in P1 at WSU. She said first semester, 5 classmates failed and have to stay an extra year! Make sure u study.
I grew up in Cali too... very different here, but Washington is a beautiful place. Good luck on all your interviews! What!! Wow, that's scary/intimidating...

Yay, a thread for WSU! I guess I'll be meeting you guys at the interview on the 21st! :)
Awesome! Are you in-state?

Awesome! Are you in-state?[/QUOTE]
Yes I am! Currently attending UW. And you?

I grew up in Cali too... very different here, but Washington is a beautiful place. Good luck on all your interviews! What!! Wow, that's scary/intimidating...

Awesome! Are you in-state?
Yes I am! Currently attending UW. And you?

How do u guys preparing for the essay part of the interview? They only give us 15minutes for the essay part.

Has anyone already interviewed in Spokane?

What does the schedule for the interview day look like? I have yet to receive the itinerary and I am trying to decide travel plans! What time did your interview start and what time were you done for the day?

Thanks for any insight!

Members don't see this ad :)
ahh, I guess i'll see you guys on the 21st. I have a scheduled interview then too.

definitely coming from SoCal too. Haha, first time to be in WA also. Crazy

According to WSU Pharm website, I believe the first interview starts on 1/20 ..... but not completely sure.
I have mine on 1/21 8:00am (so ... early!)
This is my first interview so not sure about how we will be spending 3 hours but I'm guessing interview (~30mins), writing (~20mins), then rest of the time will be campus tour/info session?

**Crossing my fingers for good weather!**

According to WSU Pharm website, I believe the first interview starts on 1/20 ..... but not completely sure.
This is my first interview so not sure about how we will be spending 3 hours but I'm guessing interview (~30mins), writing (~20mins), then rest of the time will be campus tour/info session?

I have an interview the 20th at 3pm but in Pullman...I'm flying in the day before to ease my nerves with the possibility of bad weather.

That is correct, I am scheduled for an interview on 1/20 at the Pullman campus.Goodluck everyone!!!

I have an interview the 20th at 3pm but in Pullman...I'm flying in the day before to ease my nerves with the possibility of bad weather.
Mine is an hour before your's, I am also flying in thursday to settle in and prepare... it's going to be COLD :( I am flying in from Northern California, what about you?

Hi everyone!

I also have an interview on the 21st but I'm flying in from SoCal the day before and staying at Courtyard Inn. It says it will be snowing this weekend! O_O SHOCKER for me as a socal resident :D

Is anyone renting a car? Is it safe to drive in the snow? I'm such a noobie with snow, and I don't know if I should keep my car rental reservation or just do a taxi.

Any thoughts would be great! Thanks!!:)

Mine is an hour before your's, I am also flying in thursday to settle in and prepare... it's going to be COLD :( I am flying in from Northern California, what about you?

Just from Portland :)

Hi everyone!

I also have an interview on the 21st but I'm flying in from SoCal the day before and staying at Courtyard Inn. It says it will be snowing this weekend! O_O SHOCKER for me as a socal resident :D

Is anyone renting a car? Is it safe to drive in the snow? I'm such a noobie with snow, and I don't know if I should keep my car rental reservation or just do a taxi.

Any thoughts would be great! Thanks!!:)

You shouldn't need a car in Spokane, I'm not even getting one for Pullman.

I am invited to have an interview, however today my sister went through the website and it said the WUS needs PCAT to be taken in Jan. However, back to the time that I applied, I read it somewhere that it said if the students have BS degree, we don't need PCAT. Now I'm worried because I didn't plan to take PCAT.
Can anybody tell me something about it.:confused::confused::confused::confused:
Congratz everybody who get interview invitation and good luck !!!

I am invited to have an interview, however today my sister went through the website and it said the WUS needs PCAT to be taken in Jan. However, back to the time that I applied, I read it somewhere that it said if the students have BS degree, we don't need PCAT. Now I'm worried because I didn't plan to take PCAT.

me too. :(

I would call and find out. I believe this year may be the first or second year they require the PCAT...

Congratulations to everyone that received an interview invite!

I will be helping with interviews this Saturday in Spokane and am looking forward to meeting all of you! I'm sure I will be in contact with you but let me know if you were from SDN.

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you all.

Go Cougs!

Hi Khoaly,

WSU does require the PCAT. The exemption is if you are transferring from another Doctorate of Pharmacy program then the PCAT is not required. Better hurry and register :)

Hi everyone.

I'm a student ambassador at WSU, and currently a PY2 student. We are trying our best to prepare you for your upcoming interview.

As mentioned in your email, you should expect an ambassador to call you a day or two prior to your interview to answer any questions you may have. For those interviewing on Jan 20th or 21st, that means you should be getting a phone call within the next two days beginning this evening.

Regarding the weather: I was born and raised in Los Angeles, so I was as foreign to snow as the rest of you from socal. The weather is really not that bad, and a little refreshing since I'd never experienced seasons before. Please dress warmly. Most people dress professionally and then throw a huge coat (or two!) over it. It'll be plenty warm indoors.

Regarding the aforementioned 5 students who did not progress: Our class has since only lost 1 person, due to medical issues. The curriculum is designed to challenge you to make you the best pharmacist you can be, but no one is out to get you. The average test score for my peers (PY2 students) last semester was almost 90%! As a class, we killed those exams! As with any challenge, you'll adapt, and it'll become easier as you adjust. Please don't be intimidated!

Regarding the itinerary for interview: You should expect your time on campus to be approximately 3 hours starting from your assigned arrival time. With a little down time here and there, 4 hours just to be sure (for flight purposes) should be enough.

Finally, I'd like to pass down some words that I actually read here in these forums two years ago that I found to be true:

"I can't define it; I can't tell somebody who isn't a Cougar what it's like. There's something that happens at Washington State, you quietly and subtly become infected. There are very few people I've ever met who have gone to WSU and not come away with a favorable impression ... Washington State was a passion. Being a Cougar was a passion."

Hi Khoaly,

WSU does require the PCAT. The exemption is if you are transferring from another Doctorate of Pharmacy program then the PCAT is not required. Better hurry and register :)

There are no more pcat dates until July. You had to have taken it by the last January date...

Does anybody rescheduling the interview on Jan.21 due to weather??

hi. i called today to reschedule my interview. they understood that with the storms, i had a high chance my flight would be delayed/cancelled. i rescheduled for february.

Does anybody rescheduling the interview on Jan.21 due to weather??

I rescheduled from the Pullman interview for the Spokane date on the 21st, boarding my plane shortly!

I had to do the same. Just booked everything to fly out of LAX tomorrow. Stayin at the courtyard =D Let the adventure begin

Congrats to all folks who got accepted today, and for people who are being interviewed later... RELAX, questions might be a little bit tough but they give you some great ways to express your interest in pharmacy.

:soexcited:

Now I need to figure out where to eat, If anyone is stayin overnight still, I'm down to go explore PM me =)

Last edited:
Great group today, I had a lot of fun! Congrats to those who received acceptances today, and good luck to those waiting to hear! Feel free to PM me any questions.

Robert (bald dude) haha

Wow people are receiving acceptances already? Are those people from friday (yesterday) interview or from today's?
**Just curious since it is way faster than I expected!**

I was there on Friday, so I guess we were the first people to be interviewed... They said it is rolling admissions so maybe that's why some people are already being accepted.

Great group today, I had a lot of fun! Congrats to those who received acceptances today, and good luck to those waiting to hear! Feel free to PM me any questions.

Robert (bald dude) haha

It was nice meeting you as well! Did you know we were getting admission offers while you showed those videos?

I didn't expect it at all which is why I just sat there looking confused. I was in the 1PM group today and it seemed like a good majority were very solid candidates... I was impressed myself

I was at the 3pm interview. To be honest, I didn't expect them to give out acceptance letters that quickly. I, like many people here, am from socal. I got accepted into WSU, but I don't know if I am completely happy. My heart is still for Southern California. For those who got accepted, do you mind me asking what your 'stats' are?

I can share mine.

Overall GPA: 3.52 (PharmCas)
Science GPA: 3.52 (PharmCas)

As for the essay portion, I just wrote what I thought. I couldn't put in the effort/dictation/effort that I had done in their supplemental apps. I don't even know how they read my essay. I didn't even write legibly.

Last edited:
I did know, just didn't know who :) congrats

Hello dtran01 I have a question for you since you are in the program. As you are from socal you must understand how competitive the schools and pharmacy jobs are back home. Are you planning to move back to socal after school? California is where my heart and family is and after hearing (it could be a rumor) that people best find jobs in the state they went to school in, how would you plan to conquer this problem?

I'm from socali and where I do feel the california schools are extremely difficult to get into... they don't necessarily produce the most qualified pharmacist. I've met a few students who go to schools in socal and they were more lost then the pharm techs =/ Most jobs in life I feel is how well you network your way into places. Getting a job in nice locations in california is difficult either way.

Hi everyone,
Congratulation to those you've accepted.
My interview was Sat 21th but I reschedule it to Feb because of the weather condition. Can you give me some advice? How was the interview and how was the essay question?

aw, I'm super bummed now. I was en route to Spokane.. got a 5 am txt flight alert that my flight was cancelled, then spent 2 hours on the phone to have to switch to LAX airport. Went to LAX to find my flight was cancelled, got switched to another flight that was 2 hours delayed, put on standby for another flight, made it to SF to find my flight was cancelled to Spokane. Finally, waited 3 hours for a flight back to LAX on standby. Hooray....

They have now lost my luggage (with my suit and everything, they made me check it because of lack of space), and I had to reschedule my interview for Feb 10th :(

It was and still is a nightmare! But glad to hear the interviews went nicely. :)

Anyone else going there February 10th? I'll be staying at Courtyard, google says it is 465 feet away from where the interview takes place, haha, does anyone know if this is true?

aw, I'm super bummed now. I was en route to Spokane.. got a 5 am txt flight alert that my flight was cancelled, then spent 2 hours on the phone to have to switch to LAX airport. Went to LAX to find my flight was cancelled, got switched to another flight that was 2 hours delayed, put on standby for another flight, made it to SF to find my flight was cancelled to Spokane. Finally, waited 3 hours for a flight back to LAX on standby. Hooray....

They have now lost my luggage (with my suit and everything, they made me check it because of lack of space), and I had to reschedule my interview for Feb 10th :(

It was and still is a nightmare! But glad to hear the interviews went nicely. :)

Anyone else going there February 10th? I'll be staying at Courtyard, google says it is 465 feet away from where the interview takes place, haha, does anyone know if this is true?

I think so! Its right across the street from the campus! and the building you'll see is the health sciences building :)

Last edited:

Dang, sorry to hear you went through so much trouble!

I'll be at the Feb 10th interview, looking forward to meeting you!

The Courtyard is RIGHT across the street from the building, so it's probably 500 feet lol

Take care

Yay! Thanks guys :) wonder if it will still be snowing then. I was actually looking forward to snow haha

Just wanted to share with those who haven't yet interviewed, this was by far the best interview I had! The school did very well at creating a relaxed atmosphere, and the actual interview was far from intimidating like other schools try to make it. Some of their questions are quite different, but nothing that you should worry about. They took time to stream videos about the school that show what they're doing that makes them unique and innovative. Also, they had a great variety of snacks in every room you go into! lol. This has always been my #1 school, but the interview really cemented that idea, and I'm glad to have received an acceptance!