washington university?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowinter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys --

any thoughts on Wash U? Why did they get a new chair --what happened to the old one?

It looks great on the website; i'm excited about the location as well.. close to family. just thought id seek out some insight into the program.

they actually take quite a few residents..

any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there a few weeks back and absolutely loved the program. They have a new chair - the former chair is still there. I didn't ask why they hired a new chair, but I interviewed with the former chair and he was very nice. The interview experience there is very relaxed and pleasant. The residents seem very happy. They have great surgical training with lap simulators and cadaver training labs. There are lots of research opportunities as well.

Hey guys,

I recently had my interview at Wash U and thought it was a great program. They did just get a new chair, only a few months ago, but he seemed very resident friendly and supportive. There does not seem to be any turmoil with his arrival and most seemed to think that he was already helping the program out by bringing in new docs. I got the impression that the old chair just stepped down because he was just ready to do more clinical work. The day was well organized and consisted of 6 interviews (everyone interviews for 15 min with the chair, and the two residency directors), a tour and lunch. The social the night before was also great and I highly recommend trying to attend as it was nice to see how the residents all really seemed to get along. The area surrounding the hospital definitely has some cute restaurants and shops and personality. The cost of living sounds very affordable. ALL of the residents really went out of their way to make you feel welcome. In terms of experience they have 24 L&D rooms which makes for a very busy service at times but with 9 residents per year I think the work load is split up nicely. There seems to be a big focus on Gyn/Onc too and they seem to pride themselves on producing very competent surgeons. All in all if you like St Louis I think this program would rock.
:thumbup:

I've heard that Wash U overall is a bit stuffy and doesn't treat their residents very well from one of the medical students that goes there.