WashU Adcom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whitney

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard the Adcom meets tomorrow....can anyone confirm???

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea, but you could always call the admissions office and ask.

Whitney said:
I heard the Adcom meets tomorrow....can anyone confirm???

Members don't see this ad :)
Well good luck to anyone hoping to hear nice things (as i am)...

I have long since stopped worrying about them, but good luck to you :)

Whitney said:
Well good luck to anyone hoping to hear nice things (as i am)...

yep... the dean of admissions said that the next adcom meeting is Feb 17. then they have one 2 weeks later... and the last one is March 17th. (haha... i still have my notes here... how sad).
when did you interview Whitney?

do you know if they call? the impression i got was that they send out letters, but if your interviewer is on the committee, they might be nice enough to take the time to call you.

i don't have much hope for washu.... i feel like my numbers aren't high enough for them...
i can still dream can't i? :(

ardemus said:
do you know if they call? the impression i got was that they send out letters, but if your interviewer is on the committee, they might be nice enough to take the time to call you.
They may or may not call, waiting by your phone isn't an effective thing to do. They Express Mail their acceptances so waiting by your mailbox on friday is more effective.

for those who interviewed in late jan., does anyone know when we're supposed to hear back?

MWillie said:
They may or may not call, waiting by your phone isn't an effective thing to do. They Express Mail their acceptances so waiting by your mailbox on friday is more effective.

ah good to know. what were your stats and school Willie? (since you already got in... ;) ). only if you don't mind sharing.

ardemus said:
ah good to know. what were your stats and school Willie? (since you already got in... ;) ). only if you don't mind sharing.
Both are 3 followed by a high number.

MWillie said:
Both are 3 followed by a high number.

very nice, very nice
i can say the same... but i don't think my gpa is quite up to WashU's standards...
congrats on getting in already. i'll be so happy if i get in anywhere... +pity+

oh yeah, can anyone clear up this point:
people keep saying that WashU tries to boost its ranking by making itself "more selective". but in US News, its "acceptance rate" is 11.2%, much higher than most of the other top 10 schools. what's up with that? or do they factor in the average GPA, and average MCAT values for the "selectivity rank"?

ardemus said:
very nice, very nice
i can say the same... but i don't think my gpa is quite up to WashU's standards...
congrats on getting in already. i'll be so happy if i get in anywhere... +pity+

oh yeah, can anyone clear up this point:
people keep saying that WashU tries to boost its ranking by making itself "more selective". but in US News, its "acceptance rate" is 11.2%, much higher than most of the other top 10 schools. what's up with that? or do they factor in the average GPA, and average MCAT values for the "selectivity rank"?
Thx, Wash U only gets 3000 or so applicants each year while other schools get nearly double that. That's probably why they spend so much time advertising. Selectivity is just based on GPA and MCAT averages I think.

ardemus said:
yep... the dean of admissions said that the next adcom meeting is Feb 17. then they have one 2 weeks later... and the last one is March 17th. (haha... i still have my notes here... how sad).
when did you interview Whitney? :(

I interviewed on January 6th....From what I gather, it seems like some people get calls, but not everyone who is accepted does....

Members don't see this ad :)
Childe said:
I have long since stopped worrying about them, but good luck to you :)

Thanks Childe...but don't give up hope yet...your application looks damn good to me....plus, as someone else pointed out, it seems like they end up taking a significant amount of people off the waitlist...it ain't over till it's over.....

The express mail package with my acceptance was supposed to arrive on a Friday but in reality it didn't arrive until Sunday--never knew that mail was delivered on Sunday. So just in case you don't get a phone call tonight or a package tomorrow, don't give up hope!! :luck:

i interviewed in november..........god, just please let me in!!!!!!! the waiting is killing me slowly

Good luck everyone. hopefully we will hear some good news today/tomorrow. :thumbup:

ramblinwreckie said:
for those who interviewed in late jan., does anyone know when we're supposed to hear back?
yes, or how about those of us who interviewed in february?! :D i know they said people don't hear their results in chronological order of interview dates (i think they said different "regions" of applicants often run slightly ahead/behind one another for whatever reason), but i don't have a clue as to when we'll hear back. they didn't really explain the whole admissions thing too well during the interview day, IMO.

How about those who interviewed in early October, how are we supposed to feel!

btw, Good luck everyone

Just got the call from WashU about an hour ago ... I don't think my heart rate has gone down yet. :) Good luck everyone!!

HeHateMe said:
How about those who interviewed in early October, how are we supposed to feel!

btw, Good luck everyone

I interviewed during their first week of interviews in october...haven't heard anything. i have given up hope.

congratulations chocolate-e!!!!!! That's AWESOME!!!

hey, btowngirl, I totally feel the same way. I interviewed in early December, and though it wasn't that long ago, I know perfectly well that my stats are not up to par with WashU's standards. I'm not holding my breath either. Good luck! :luck:

chocolate-e said:
Just got the call from WashU about an hour ago ... I don't think my heart rate has gone down yet. :) Good luck everyone!!

congrats on getting in! i know they don't necessarily do applications in order... but when did you interview?

ardemus said:
congrats on getting in! i know they don't necessarily do applications in order... but when did you interview?[/QUOTE

also, how does the regional thing work? are they doing east/south this time, and midwest/west two weeks from now?

I guess there is always the next meeting. :oops:

bump for mail today... though more likely stuff'll show up over the weekend

nothing yet :oops:

and

bump

nada so far. they'll send it to my parents house.

ardemus said:
congrats on getting in! i know they don't necessarily do applications in order... but when did you interview?

February

sweatybrain said:
also, how does the regional thing work? are they doing east/south this time, and midwest/west two weeks from now?

I don't know ... but I'm in south, so that sounds plausible to me ...

Nothing here either, but I've given up long ago.

chocolate-e said:
February

I don't know ... but I'm in south, so that sounds plausible to me ...

Did you receive your acceptance packet yet? (Just hoping that they are late mailing those letters, and I still have hope tomo)

sweatybrain said:
you are in?
congrat wiggy!
No, I would be a lot more excited if I was. :)

premedgeek said:
Did you receive your acceptance packet yet? (Just hoping that they are late mailing those letters, and I still have hope tomo)

Nope, nothing yet. So there's still hope!

chocolate-e said:
Nope, nothing yet. So there's still hope!

I didn't recieve mine till Sunday (well, it would have been Saturday but I left for 20 min and they tried to deliver in that time. rrrrrrrgh). And i'm in Chicago, so you would have thought it would have come here quick . . . . so here's to good news today or tomorrow for you!

-chop

Got the packet today, YAY! I'm so happy!!! :)

For what it's worth, I'm from the south as well, and I interviewed back in Dec.

Good luck to those still waiting to hear! :luck:

Congratulations dandelion!!!

On another note, is UVA considered south?

dandelion said:

Do they do it by where you grew up or where you go to college? I'm from Texas, but I go to school at Washu.

dcham said:
Do they do it by where you grew up or where you go to college? I'm from Texas, but I go to school at Washu.

Its by undergrad.

Do you guys know what courier they send it with, i.e USPS, Fed ex, UPS?

HeHateMe said:
Do you guys know what courier they send it with, i.e USPS, Fed ex, UPS?

Mine was USPS. And overnight mail IS delivered on Sunday. (at least where I live, that's when I got it)

dandelion said:

Congratulations!! Hope to see you this fall! :)

chocolate-e said:
Congratulations!! Hope to see you this fall! :)

Hey, congrats yourself! :)

(My packet came via USPS as well.)

ninebillion said:
Anyone have any idea when decisions on students from the south or southwest will be made? Will we have to wait until March 17 (third Thursday of next month)?

or March 3rd depending on whom you ask. don't worry. you won't get in anyway.

(don't spaz anyone, he's my roommate, i'm allowed to F with him)

ninebillion said:
Anyone have any idea when decisions on students from the south or southwest will be made? Will we have to wait until March 17 (third Thursday of next month)?

I thought they decided on south people this week (dandelion, chocolate).

I am clueless. :confused:

premedgeek said:
I thought they decided on south people this week (dandelion, chocolate).

I am clueless. :confused:

i thought this was established early in the thread: the subcommittees are by region of your undergrad, but the executive committee votes to admit people from all regions at their big meetings...

whitecoat09 said:
i thought this was established early in the thread: the subcommittees are by region of your undergrad, but the executive committee votes to admit people from all regions at their big meetings...

Ahh. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

So, I guess everyone had equal chance of being admitted this last meeting.