WashU decision dates, adcom meetings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
xylem don't get down over mdapps for sure......it's got inflated stats for 2 reasons:

1. people willing to put things up are better applicants inherrantly.
2. people ON mdapps are really type-A

it isn't an accurate picture....you'd think the average applicant MCAT is a 35, but really we know the average med school applicant's MCAT is MUCH lower.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know what they would use for letters going to Canada?

If they use Express Mail domestic - the speed is "next day" and costs them about $14 (hence how you guys can receive the acceptance by sat or sunday)

For Express Mail Intl - speed is 3-5 days and costs about $16.

The next lowest priority mail at about $4 and takes about 2 days longer.

Anyway, I think we've established that any acceptances that have been sent out were sent out on friday - so I'm expecting to hear by this friday (23rd) or my hear will be broken...

Anyway, I just went through my pile of junk paper and found the envelope from WUSTL when they sent me the secondar and booklet stuff - just as I suspected, they used Priority mail -

If you look at express mail: it's $16 for 3-5 days. Priority is $4 for 4-6 days. The shipping time is not too different but there is a huge difference in price, so I guess they'd opt for the $4 shipping. I promised not to post here again until I heard back, but I couldn't help it. So one last final post - I should receive something on friday or monday, assuming no unexpected delays.

Anyway, I just went through my pile of junk paper and found the envelope from WUSTL when they sent me the secondar and booklet stuff - just as I suspected, they used Priority mail -

If you look at express mail: it's $16 for 3-5 days. Priority is $4 for 4-6 days. The shipping time is not too different but there is a huge difference in price, so I guess they'd opt for the $4 shipping. I promised not to post here again until I heard back, but I couldn't help it. So one last final post - I should receive something on friday or monday, assuming no unexpected delays.

Try not to over think it even if it doesn't come next week. I've heard that a lot of people get accepted in March. In any case, I'm pulling for you xylem! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
bump..

btw/ when do adcoms meet?

dunno. I actively tried to avoid knowing because I was already tense enough.

Good luck to those still waiting to hear. I hope that you will all soon know the same relief and happiness that I felt on getting an acceptance!

dunno. I actively tried to avoid knowing because I was already tense enough.

Good luck to those still waiting to hear. I hope that you will all soon know the same relief and happiness that I felt on getting an acceptance!

i have given up hope with washU...

Last month at least the committee met on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays.

Yeah, the ast. dean said they met every other Thursday when she called my friend to accept him. So that means no meeting this week :*(

Okay - well, according to USPS shipping estimates, I should have received something from WUSTL today, if they had sent something on Feb.16. I did not receive anything - so I obviously did not get accepted during the last meeting. All I can hope for now, is that I, at the very least, get waitlisted.

While I'm at it, I should mention that I received a letter from Northwestern - a pre-interview rejection :(

At least I won't be anxious in anticipating anything in the mail from WUSTL now...lol.

Okay - well, according to USPS shipping estimates, I should have received something from WUSTL today, if they had sent something on Feb.16. I did not receive anything - so I obviously did not get accepted during the last meeting. All I can hope for now, is that I, at the very least, get waitlisted.

While I'm at it, I should mention that I received a letter from Northwestern - a pre-interview rejection :(

At least I won't be anxious in anticipating anything in the mail from WUSTL now...lol.

I seriously think that Wash U's admissions process is a lot more random/un-predictable than people on this thread are giving it credit. You CAN get accepted at the end of March/April (I saw it happen last year) and who really knows if the committee meets regularly/how many people are accepted at those meetings?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oooo, finally...I've been waiting for that letter! Maybe it'll be there when I get home tonight!

I seriously think that Wash U's admissions process is a lot more random/un-predictable than people on this thread are giving it credit. You CAN get accepted at the end of March/April (I saw it happen last year) and who really knows if the committee meets regularly/how many people are accepted at those meetings?

:) :luck:

Does anyone know when the final meeting is? I thought it might be the thrid thirsday of March, but if decisions go well into april....

Of course you can get in that late. It's called getting off of the waitlist.

Someone said that all decisions will be sent by april 15, so I think the last meeting is in april.

i suspect that those of us who have not been rejected yet, may very well get accepted before we are waitlisted, because march and april will hopefully see a bunch of wustl acceptances get declined as decisions from harvard and duke, etc come out, also with the financial aid/scholarship stuff - hopefully people who already hold acceptances will make up their minds during these months and spots can open up.

Of course you can get in that late. It's called getting off of the waitlist.

There are people accepted those months before they even go to the waitlist. Wash U is very late doing everything.

There are people accepted those months before they even go to the waitlist. Wash U is very late doing everything.

Well if these rumors are true, then I really really hate WashU for being so random. I mean come on, have some sympathy for us pre-med students.
Why couldn't all schools be like more UMich?

Unfortunately, Wash U sees itself with a little too much of a sense of entitlement, as if the whole world revolves around its time schedule. Oh well, though, it's a good school.

Unfortunately, Wash U sees itself with a little too much of a sense of entitlement, as if the whole world revolves around its time schedule. Oh well, though, it's a good school.

Theoretically speaking, will you guys drop the ball and everything that's been set up at some other school (housing, finaid, etc) and go to WashU if you get in real late? Let's say sometime in late July?

Theoretically speaking, will you guys drop the ball and everything that's been set up at some other school (housing, finaid, etc) and go to WashU if you get in real late? Let's say sometime in late July?

i will only consider going if i get in pre-may...after that im set...

Last year there were quite a few decisions sent out on 3/1;3/2. I think those were the last though. If they're following a similar schedule this year we should have at least one more pre-waitlist shot this week...

Last year there were quite a few decisions sent out on 3/1;3/2. I think those were the last though. If they're following a similar schedule this year we should have at least one more pre-waitlist shot this week...

Hmm...interesting. Depending on what school I would be dropping for WashU, I would still go as late as O-week...BUT, this again, depends on what school. IF I happen to get into washU before may, and I also get accepted in a Canadian school (in may) - I may very well choose WashU.

If they give me time to think things through however, and I've already decided to stay in canada, then I wouldn't go to washU. It's all about timing here. Here's hoping for this "final shot" folks, good lucks.:thumbup:

3/1 corresponds to this thursday... I wonder if they are meeting this thursday.

:eek:

Wow...this will stir up mailbox anxiety again!

I think it's best for all our collective health to just assume we are going to be either rejected or placed in waitlist purgatory, and then if by some twist of fate, if we're accepted, we'll only be pleasantly surprised.

I think it's best for all our collective health to just assume we are going to be either rejected or placed in waitlist purgatory, and then if by some twist of fate, if we're accepted, we'll only be pleasantly surprised.

Not me man, if I assume that I will be rejected or waitlisted - and then find out that I'm accepted later on, I will be "jump on the bus attracting attention, streaking down the street in my golden thong, screaming till I lose my voice, calling my friends and parents, and doing something dumb that will jepordize my med school enrollment" suprised! No, certainly more than "pleasantly"...

just to add to the neuroticism, last year WashU called all accepted students after their last decision day so they would have time to fill out scholarship materials before the deadline (early march).... Not sure if that will happen this year....

just to add to the neuroticism, last year WashU called all accepted students after their last decision day so they would have time to fill out scholarship materials before the deadline (early march).... Not sure if that will happen this year....
According to a current Wash U student, this year there aren't any special apps for the scholarships. They'll be using the AMCAS/WashU secondary to determine scholarship eligibility.

gulp.. they are making decision today..

are they gonna call tomorrow or today?

wait...so what interview dates are they up to now?

Apparently it is totally random and they don't go in chronological order.

good luck to all that have been waitin with me. be sure to post here if you get in! :)

I heard it depends.. some get email, call, some get none.

If you get a call, they want you. If you get an email, you just beat out the guy with the criminal record. If you get snail mail, they think it will be funny to see you try to graduate form their school

How's that for inspiring some good, healthy insecurity :laugh:. It's funny now, but that's totally how I'm going to feel if I'm the only one who didn't get an email or phone call

If you get a call, they want you. If you get an email, you just beat out the guy with the criminal record. If you get snail mail, they think it will be funny to see you try to graduate form their school

How's that for inspiring some good, healthy insecurity :laugh:. It's funny now, but that's totally how I'm going to feel if I'm the only one who didn't get an email or phone call

I actually don't know of any Class of 2011 WashU acceptees on SDN who got a call or email before the big envelope came. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I'm feeling unloved cuz I didn't get a call but probably not. After all, an acceptance is an acceptance no matter what form it comes in :D !

EDIT: I stand corrected. According to the acceptance thread from this year, at least one person did get a call. But if superstars like Towelie didn't get called then I guess I can't feel too shabby!

I was accepted in December (express mail) and I didn't get a phone call or e-mail.

You people should have some self-esteem! Good luck! You'll do great. :)

A friend of mine got a call, but it was just a quick congrats from his interviewer the day the letter was sent. It was due to the fact that his thank-you note turned into a brief back and forth email conversation about some mundane research topic. No special treatment though, or anything any of us on here should get worked up about. :)

I wonder if the letters went out today. I hope so! An acceptance would be a good way to start off the month of March...

i got a call but its just because i'm a legacy and they like to see their legacies come to washu in fact they have a totally different interview scheduling system for legs, you just call and you get one whenever u want and they send you a nice letter about being part of the family and then they tell u it doesn't guarantee that you get in but if two ppl have the same stats and ones a leg they'll get in otherwise its nice that you're part of the fam but earn your spot. good luck to all of you! hope its through email if snail mail really is that undesirable to you guys!

my bday is in march...tis would make it a near perfect bday..if..only if!

Hm Okay. Tomorrow they'll send out the decisions. It's over night mail, but there's no mail on Sat or Sun. So am I preparing my line of tequila shots (whatever the outcome) for Monday?

Or do they make the rejections just wait....indefinitely. That's definitely the worst punishment: "Your application sucked. It was boring and we had to read it. So now you wait! Muahahah!"

I think the USPS operates on Saturdays. The office sends acceptances by Express Mail on Friday and requests that they be delivered by noon on Saturday. My mail usually arrives in the afternoons, but I got a special visit from the mailman in the morning. So wait by your doorbell! :) Unless you have a PO box or live in a dorm, in which case I guess you'll have to wait until Monday.

Hm Okay. Tomorrow they'll send out the decisions. It's over night mail, but there's no mail on Sat or Sun. So am I preparing my line of tequila shots (whatever the outcome) for Monday?

Or do they make the rejections just wait....indefinitely. That's definitely the worst punishment: "Your application sucked. It was boring and we had to read it. So now you wait! Muahahah!"