WashU in STL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modanq

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are they meeting today? When do we find out? How do we find out, phone call, email, smail?

Members don't see this ad.

Modanq said:
Are they meeting today? When do we find out? How do we find out, phone call, email, smail?

calm down. they're meeting at the end of the day tomorrow. My guess is that they'll make decisions tomorrow and then the secretaries will prep the paperwork to go out via snail-mail on friday, so if you get in, then you'll be notified next week. Those accepted get a call from Dean Dodson before you get your letter in the mail. He probably won't get around to those until monday or so. I don't think they reject anyone from the big committee pool-- I think those who didn't make it to big committee (did not get through the subcommittee) get a rejection letter in the mail, and you should have receive that already.

This is all speculation, of course. But sounds like a good system, no?

oh yeah I forgotI applied to that school :laugh:

although I stand a very little chance :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
crazy_cavalier said:
oh yeah I forgotI applied to that school :laugh:

although I stand a very little chance :rolleyes:

I have a freind in michigan that has stellar numbers 4.0 38. He didn't apply to washU because he thought it was on the west coast!!! I guess numbers isn't everything. What a bum.

How many other interviewers were there when you visited WashU? They interview a crazy 10 people for every spot but it seems like they have applicants there every day of the week.

jeffsleepy said:
How many other interviewers were there when you visited WashU? They interview a crazy 10 people for every spot but it seems like they have applicants there every day of the week.

I think they interview something around 1000 people. There are interviews every day of the week! I interviewed on a wednesday which is supposed to be a slow day, and there were about 8 of us there. The number accepted goes down to about 200 or 250 on the waitlist, so an interview at WashU gives you about a 1/3 or 1/4 chance of being accepted.

I interviewed this past Monday (11/14). I believe there were like 18 of us! Pretty big group if you ask me, but then again, WashU does interview close to 1000 people.

I forget how they said the committee meeting works. If they don't accept you at this meeting, then you get put into the next pool rather than rejected, right? It's not like everyone who interviewed in October will get a decision after the November meeting?

Has anyone gotten rejected from WashU post interview yet?

unicorn06 said:
I forget how they said the committee meeting works. If they don't accept you at this meeting, then you get put into the next pool rather than rejected, right? It's not like everyone who interviewed in October will get a decision after the November meeting?

Has anyone gotten rejected from WashU post interview yet?

I think there was one person on another thread who said he/she got rejected. The post was something like, "first round rejections are out. I got one today." or something like that. It sounds like it's post-interview, but I'm not sure. It's certainly not up on the wall of shame yet.

So there are 4 sub committees based on geographic location (i'm thinking it's based on home state, rather than undergrad locale) and they meet either weekly or biweekly, and then they decide which applicants go to the big committee, that is meeting tomorrow. So i think once you make it to big committee, you stay in the pool to be considered again next month. But I'm not sure. I guess theoretically big committee could reject some people. but you're right, not everyone will hear something after the first meeting. If you don't hear anything right away, you are probably put into the next month's evaluations. My boyfriend interviewed there 2 cycles ago, in october, and he didn't hear anything back until after the new year, his memory says possibly march. And then he was waitlisted, but eventually got off the waitlist, and is now an M2. So just because we don't hear right away, there is hope yet! Good luck!

kalenakai said:
I interviewed this past Monday (11/14). I believe there were like 18 of us! Pretty big group if you ask me, but then again, WashU does interview close to 1000 people.

I was there as well . . . we met actually. I was the guy from VA who checked in about the same time you did on Sunday morning. Best of luck.

ahumdinger said:
So there are 4 sub committees based on geographic location (i'm thinking it's based on home state, rather than undergrad locale)
Great post. Just to clarify the one point highlighted above: these committees are based on undergrad location. The rationale is that they try to become familiar with your undergraduate school. If you go to Princeton, well, there are 30+ Princeton kids who apply to WashU every year, so everyone is already familiar with Princeton. However, if you go to a small school (say Albertus Magnus) that sends only one or two students per year to WashU, it's best to have the same people work with those applications so they will become 'experts' in Albertus Magnus's programs and students.

At least that was how it was explained at the interview.

Yeah, they do interview a lot of students. Monday and Friday are the biggest groups, due to travel issues.

It seems like many of the first-years there thrive on the daily pizza parties offered for the invitees. WashU should just buy one of the pizza places, they'd save $$$$.

Dakota said:
I was there as well . . . we met actually. I was the guy from VA who checked in about the same time you did on Sunday morning. Best of luck.
Sweet dude, nice to finally link some names with faces :) Best of luck to you too, and have fun on your motorcycle!! :cool: Let's hope for good news from WashU in due time...

I'm picturing these guys all wearing their PhD robes sitting around an oaken table in a stone-walled room dimly illuminated by suspended candelabras. I assume that the ADCOM members are all wearing iPods, too.

They can't interview that many people- I haven't gotten an invite, so it must be pretty selective :laugh:

As we speak...or type...they're sitting around their committee room deciding who is in....I wonder if anyone will hear back today or tomorrow...

unicorn06 said:
As we speak...or type...they're sitting around their committee room deciding who is in....I wonder if anyone will hear back today or tomorrow...

I know! I was just looking at the clock and thinking that! I doubt anyone will hear today or tomorrow because WashU actually takes the time to send letters through the mail (yes, I'm still bitter about my email rejection from BU, who couldn't use the $100 I gave them to spring for some letterhead)...but I digress... acceptances are mailed through the post, but it's possible that Dean Dodson may have the time tomorrow to make phone calls to those lucky few.

So last night, I had horrible dreams about hearing back from schools, and today one of them came true: I didn't get in on Missouri's november committee meeting...so now I'm really bummed, epecially since WashU is an UBER long shot for me. I just can't take all the waiting!

SO my phone just rang, and it was a unknown number...I was excited that it might be WashU, but unfortunately it was a wrong number. Hahaha.

I know they're looking at our files b/c wed i got an email about something missing from mine. boy i hope that isn't a bad sign.

I know...my heart flutters a little bit every time the phone rings. Would it be better to be completely ignorant on the actions of the committee?