Washu Vs Emory Premed : decision needed ASAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Max2019

Reaction score
Hello All :
I was admitted to Emory and Washu
I am strong in STEM with IB Diploma but my SAT is match with Emory and on lower end of Washu. My Sat Subjects are high. I am unable to visit any school cause of my final exams.
I want to find out where do I have better chances to keep a high GPA and not get weeded out. I like culture of both schools after a bit of research and both cities are ok for me.
. I have no concerns of MCAT score. I will work and manage but do not want a cut throat highly competitive environment.
Is it true that go where you are top 25 percent of premed incoming class. Please share your thoughts specially on Premed.
Want to understand how they compare for premed
I have read here that getting into medical school also depends on a good fit of premed undergrad.
Would appreciate some thoughts on this.
Love both equally in terms is city ,opportunities , fit etc
Will be happy at both

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should attend the school where you feel you fit in the best. First, college is about so much more than mere academics. Second, fit promotes happiness which promotes success. Besides, you are too young to know whether you will actually want to attend medical school after you graduate from college. As far as getting into medical school is concerned, your GPA and MCAT are far more important than the prestige/reputation of your undergraduate institution (and, in any event, it's not as if Emory and Wash U are on opposite ends of the spectrum).

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I'd say WashU. I believe Emory doesn't have much pull in terms of its name for an undergraduate degree. It's still a great school, but WashU is probably better. Both are hard schools, and perhaps WashU is a bit harder (I'm not entirely sure), but doing well at WashU will impress every med school in the country because they know how difficult it is. You say you don't want a cutthroat environment. I hate to break it to you, but the environment for premeds at either school you mentioned will be competitive, and there will be classes at both schools meant to weed people out. You should go into college ready to gun to some extent.

As for stuff outside of classes, you'll need to see which has more of the things you like (clubs, greek life, type of city). St. Louis and Atlanta are fairly similar.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The things that would make either school a better fit for a pre-med might be impossible to gauge until you're actually there, nevermind having a single day.

You want to consider things such as:
- Is this school notorious for having very tough graders (such as UChicago)
- How easy is it to join research labs and get meaningful experiences
- What is the student community like? Does one school have more present and vibrant student groups in the things you find interesting?
- For your major, how are the student counselors? How is their pre-med advising?
- Which city/school has better transport options in case you're travelling to clinics or organizations in the community for your ECs?
- Which school do you think you will fit in at more? Having a good friend group is vital to navigating your courses and the med school application process.

Like other's above me have said, it's more important to look at each school holistically and decide where you will first and foremost be happy. Doing well in school and being ready for med school applications are a far second and third.

Reactions: 2 users
like everything about both schools
Both are amazing. I would love to attend both

Want to understand more in terms of average premed gpa

like everything about both schools
Both are amazing. I would love to attend both

Want to understand more in terms of average premed gpa
The information you seek doesn't exist. With the exception of a few places that are notorious for grade deflation like MIT, I honestly don't think the school you pick is going to have a huge impact on your GPA.

Keep in mind, no matter where you go there is a ton of attrition amongst premeds as they realize they can't hack it or don't want to work that hard or don't actually love medicine or whatever. So if you're ACTUALLY going to decide to pursue med school (which again it's probably impossible to know now), you're going to wind up in the top 25%. Both institutions are sufficiently well-respected that I don't think one name is going to be that much more helpful than the other. So you might as well go to the place you're more excited about living.

NB: I'm actually coming around to believe that where you go for med school IS becoming more important for residency applications. Thus, I would tell you if I thought it was important at the undergrad level. But I honestly think that your GPA and MCAT is going to be more important than anything else for med school apps, and thus would not sweat it between these two schools.

Not a specific school related question :
Should you try and go where your stats match or you are in top 25 percent of incoming class. Does it give you advantage generally in sgpa vs starting off in lower end of class pursuing premed track ? Cause committee letter may be given to high achievers in your class.
Should you pick schools based on your stats match or is it ok to take the opportunity and go to the best one possible,

Is tests such as SAT a good indicator of success in premed ?

I am new to this,
Hopefully my questions are not sounding silly but they will help me clarify the few doubts I have in my mind.

Don't overcomplicate this. Go to which school you like better. If you think you like both equally, go to WashU - it is a factory for churning out premeds and placing into top med schools across the country.

College is about so much more than being "premed," which is why I would suggest picking which school you like best. Both schools are fairly "user-friendly" although WashU tends to have a stronger track record at placing into med schools, especially top med schools, so I would go there if all else is equal.

As far as the competition in school and being in the top "x%" of class and so on, don't worry about that -you'll just psyche yourself out. Just buckle down, and from day 1 of school, make it your top priority to kill your classes. Preread every lecture, go to and engage in every lecture, do all the hw assignments ahead of time, go to office hours, seek advice from your professors + TAs, and study like there is no tomorrow for your exams. Then dedicate blocks of free time during the weekends so you don't burn out and have fun too. If you do this, you will do well in undergrad. Don't believe the hype - it's easy to get sucked into the notion, esp. on sdn, that premed is some nightmarish unfair cruel process, when it really isn't. It's hard work, but if you work hard and work smart you will do well, especially coming out of one of these schools which again tend to be more "user-friendly" than say a large UC. Best of luck!

Don't overcomplicate this. Go to which school you like better. If you think you like both equally, go to WashU - it is a factory for churning out premeds and placing into top med schools across the country.

College is about so much more than being "premed," which is why I would suggest picking which school you like best. Both schools are fairly "user-friendly" although WashU tends to have a stronger track record at placing into med schools, especially top med schools, so I would go there if all else is equal.

As far as the competition in school and being in the top "x%" of class and so on, don't worry about that -you'll just psyche yourself out. Just buckle down, and from day 1 of school, make it your top priority to kill your classes. Preread every lecture, go to and engage in every lecture, do all the hw assignments ahead of time, go to office hours, seek advice from your professors + TAs, and study like there is no tomorrow for your exams. Then dedicate blocks of free time during the weekends so you don't burn out and have fun too. If you do this, you will do well in undergrad. Don't believe the hype - it's easy to get sucked into the notion, esp. on sdn, that premed is some nightmarish unfair cruel process, when it really isn't. It's hard work, but if you work hard and work smart you will do well, especially coming out of one of these schools which again tend to be more "user-friendly" than say a large UC. Best of luck!
Thanks you for your response. If you had to pick btw two similar schools (love everything about both). Only difference being their average GPA or average scienceGpa (that you read online), which one would you pick ?

Thanks you for your response. If you had to pick btw two similar schools (love everything about both). Only difference being their average GPA or average scienceGpa (that you read online), which one would you pick ?

Which is cheaper?

Only 10 k difference. Got no other aid in both.

This is important. If you have a better financial aid package at another school, I would urge you to strongly consider going there instead of these two “prestigious” schools.

I went to a small, not-so-well known school. I had an acceptance at Emory, but only a half tuition scholarship. I had a full scholarship at the small school and decided to go there for that reason. I got a great education. Now I have a PhD from a top 10 medical school. I taught undergrads at this prestigious university and can honestly say my classes at my small liberal arts college were more challenging and engaging. Ultimately, the choice is yours, but I think the price tag is not worth the prestige.

How competitive is your HS and what's your class rank in HS? If you went to a very competitive HS and ranked in top 5% of HS, then go to WashU otherwise Emory. What major are you planning to do? You need see how competitive that major is at both schools? Are you interesting in any specific research or opportunities? GPA is very important to medical school admissions so you better go where you can excel.