WashU vs Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreatBamb1no

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have to say I feel extremely lucky to be able to pick between these two schools. Either one I would be incredibly excited about attending, but I gotta choose one. I'm originally from ID and went to college in MA. Love the outdoors, but I know how much either St. Louis or Pittsburgh would offer haha. I'm not too sure what specialty I want (though with preliminary interest in surgery, maybe orthopedics?), but I do know I am interested in academic medicine. In terms of residency, I would like to match somewhere out west, but both schools aren't regionally close to that area so I don't think that would be any differentiator. I would love to hear anything that anyone has to say about either of these programs. I know WashU just revamped its curriculum so that is definitely something I would be interested to know more about how that has been received. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Both are known surgical powerhouses. Go wherever you like more or whichever city sounds more appealing. You can match all over from both of them.

Is money not a factor at all here? Doesn't WashU give full tuition to over half their class, and a decent chunk of partial tuition to the others. If you get full tuition at WashU, I'd definitely go there over paying anything at Pitt.

If money is not a factor, similar to above, go where you think you'll be happiest. WashU has a bit more medical prestige than Pitt, but Pittsburg is better than St Louis. Really a coin flip.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Academic medicine - at least at the Boston area hospitals I've seen a lot more WashU med grads amongst residents and faculty than Pitt (and honestly more than many other institutions). Medicine at WashU is kind of like it is at Hopkins in that it's historically famous and the tail that wags the dog, so a lot of resources and collaborations are focused on it. Pitt seems great as well, but I would give the edge to WashU for getting an academic job out West.

2. Outdoors - can't speak for Pitt, but the big perk of the WashU area is forest park. It's a massive park (bigger than Central Park) with some small forests, lots of beautiful green space and architecture. It's no Idaho, but having that across the street can do wonders for mental well being if you're used to just turning off and running through green areas. The Ozarks are a couple hour drive from the city, are beautiful in the fall and are pretty and campable, but they're no Rockies. I imagine PItt has less nature nearby (no Forest Park), but but maybe more access to something resembling mountains.

3. Cities - St. Louis is a cheap, accessible and interesting spot and a nice place to live, especially around Forest Park with easy train rides downtown. I've heard great things about Pitt though, and it seems to be more hip in the popular imagination.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users