WashU Yale interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bachi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if people had gone to washU or yale for interview.
I am also wondering if it would be okey to ask for an interview since i will be visiting the schools,

i'd like some ideas....

Members don't see this ad.

bachi said:
I am also wondering if it would be okey to ask for an interview since i will be visiting the schools,

i'd like some ideas....

I'm really not sure what you're trying to ask. Yes, I have interviewed at WashU. So have many people (probably 500 by this point, mid season), and I'm sure many have interviewed at Yale. If you plan to be in the area, you can call the school to tell them, so that if they were to give you an interview, they can schedule accordingly. I've tried this strategy for OHSU and USC, and did not yield any interview invites, but I've heard some rare success stories out there. But my question to you is: are you going to St. Louis and New Haven JUST to visit the schools? 'cause that seems like a waste of money, especially if you don't get an interview.

bachi said:

i'd like some ideas....

i think it's customary for people to *politely* inform a school if you will be in the area or visiting the school around a certain date...i advise against outright requesting an interview though. isn' that what your application already did? :oops:

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
ahumdinger said:
I'm really not sure what you're trying to ask. Yes, I have interviewed at WashU. So have many people (probably 500 by this point, mid season), and I'm sure many have interviewed at Yale. If you plan to be in the area, you can call the school to tell them, so that if they were to give you an interview, they can schedule accordingly. I've tried this strategy for OHSU and USC, and did not yield any interview invites, but I've heard some rare success stories out there. But my question to you is: are you going to St. Louis and New Haven JUST to visit the schools? 'cause that seems like a waste of money, especially if you don't get an interview.

I am visiting the graduate schools at washu and yale since i got acceptance there. i had also applied to their med school but have not gotten any interview invites yet. so, i was thinking that since i'll be visiting the schools, i could give the med schools a call, saying that i would like to have an interview scheduled since i'll be visiting the schools. I still have not decided if it is wise to tell them the real reason i'm visiting or should i give them some other reason? i just have this feel that they'd probably know its graduate visiting day..... so, shall i ask for interview?

thanks,
bachi

I don't think you can just ask for an interview. You can as other people have posted tell them that you will be visiting. They are not going to give you something unless they were planning on doing it in the near future by you simply asking them to.

otemd said:
I don't think you can just ask for an interview. You can as other people have posted tell them that you will be visiting. They are not going to give you something unless they were planning on doing it in the near future by you simply asking them to.

So you mean, that i should just call and tell them " i am visiting' and not ask about interview?

bachi said:
So you mean, that i should just call and tell them " i am visiting' and not ask about interview?

I received an interview from SLU first, and since I also had applied to Wash U, I sent them an email asking if I could get an interview. I just told them how it was - that I had an interview at SLU, and asked very politely whether I was being considered for an interview at Wash U, and lo and behold, they set me up. So I don't think you have to tip toe around the fact that you're looking for an interview. Just ask politely. If they were planning on interviewing you, they'll say yes. If not, then they'll say no. Although I've tried this at other schools without much success, Wash U was actually very receptive and helpful, and little things like this will stay with the interviewees when they are later deciding where to go - at least it will for me.

bachi said:

Yale says they will not make accomodations for people who are going to be "in the area" to interview. If you have already received an invite, you can schedule it as far out as the end of the season to coordinate with travel plans, but they won't expedite any decisions or offer an interview just because you're in the area.

WashU is a little more receptive to accomodating travel plans, but they still won't give you an interview just because you're going ot be there. They might give your app another look and make a decision on it sooner though if they know about your travel plans.

Good luck. I interviewed at both schools and really liked Yale. WashU was okay, but I didn't like St. Louis much and didn't mesh as well with the students I met there.

thanks all! really helps to get some idea..

bachi