Waterloo acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jd4me

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems like the decisions for acceptance to waterloo have finally been made. Good luck to all of the applicants and congrats to those who made it in.

Members don't see this ad.

have they sent letters out? i thought on july 2nd
im still waiting over here :confused:

Yeah, I got my letter today, Looks like I'm in :) I'll meet you all there I hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
whao! Congratulation to you guys!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: May I ask what kinda of GPA you guys have when you apply? How many students does waterloo take from each province?

The number of students that waterloo accepts from each province was discussed in a previous thread. Basically, there is no set number of students that will be taken from each province but you can estimate the number of students that will be taken from each province. This is because there are funding agreements between UW and the provinces to provide a certain number of seats that will be funded by the various provinces. However, UW can take more or less students from these provinces each year depending on their competitiveness. This is basically summarized at the site http://www.adm.uwaterloo.ca/infoucal/0304/SCI/optometry.html

The following paragraph from that link should answer your question:
Agreements have been established between Ontario and the provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Saskatchewan through which the costs incurred in educating a limited number of students at the School of Optometry are shared with the home province. The maximum number of residents to which these agreements apply are: Alberta 7; British Columbia 5; Manitoba 3; New Brunswick 1; Prince Edward Island 1 (every 3 years); Saskatchewan 3. The School of Optometry's Admission Committee bases its decisions on the competitive level of the candidate and therefore the Committee is not committed to, or limited by, a contract province's allotted number of places. In each year arrangements will be made to provide an opportunity for applicants from British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan and in New Brunswick or Prince Edward Island to be interviewed in their home provinces. Applicants from the six contract provinces must meet the same admission criteria as other applicants.

Anyone called UW registrar's office or received the actual letter of acceptance/rejection from UW School of Optometry?

Cheers.

Yes acceptance letters have been sent out. Seems like dsherin received one as well. Don't lose hope just yet, you never know what will happen over the next few days or what's been sent in the mail and hasn't yet arrived.

i got mine today...rejection
oh well

Sorry to hear that acurael...

This year seems to be more competitive than before.... hopefully I'll hear some good news soon.

hey acura el,

where abouts are you in BC? i'm in burnaby.. still waiting.

I'm in surrey so im sure you will get your letter soon...good luck
hopefully you dont get bad news like me

hey did you go to UBC too?

hey EL! Sry to hear you didn't get accepted to UW. My optometrist also went to Pacific, he said it's a really good school, so I think you will enjoy it down there, but the tuition can be really expensive. Just curious, how much did you estimate that you will spend during the 4 yr education down there?

I live in Surrey and go to UBC too :)

I think Majority of the ppl in BC that wants to go into optometry probably goes to UBC.. since more health science major ppl will go UBC instead of SFU.

Hey Acurael...sorry about the bad news! ..it's their lost.. ..

thanks

Smooth op...sent u a pm

Where is everyone else from BC heading in fall?

Seems like just about all of the Canadians on here are from BC!

just wondering.... is anyone on the waiting list for waterloo?

acurael said:
just wondering.... is anyone on the waiting list for waterloo?

i had friends who were on that waterloo "CONTINGENCY" list, and all realized that it was a load of crap

2 of my friends who had overall averages of 86, and 89% were on that list, and never got called back. it's all because AMODEO is totally disorganized and doesn't follow procedure properly

connorkearns said:
i had friends who were on that waterloo "CONTINGENCY" list, and all realized that it was a load of crap

2 of my friends who had overall averages of 86, and 89% were on that list, and never got called back. it's all because AMODEO is totally disorganized and doesn't follow procedure properly

Wow... somebody has an axe to grind.

And I'm sure you're more than aware that high marks certainly do not guarantee acceptance. They're only a part of the equation that includes OAT, interview, awards, optometry experience, and extra-curriculars.

connorkearns said:

I was on the contingency list last year and called the office to see what that meant...and basically the secretary told me they would only call you back if people declined their offers of admission and you happened to fill one of their spots. Unfortunately, they weren't able to tell me what position I was on the waiting list, so I was a bit bitter about how secretive they were....BUT, doesn't matter now, cuz I got in this year! WOOHOO!! :)

But for those of you who got on the contingency list, have hope because you never know, you might get called sometime this summer...and even if you don't, you have a good chance of getting in next year if you apply again and maintain your marks/OAT, etc.

ted said:
Sorry to hear that acurael...

This year seems to be more competitive than before.... hopefully I'll hear some good news soon.

How do you know, or what makes you think that this year is more competitive?