Waterloo University Pharmacy applicants Class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I Decided to start a thread for the Class of 2T2 (2022). Feel free to share any questions about stats, the application process, and other things.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I've already started my application two questions for everyone:

1. Wondering if anyone has context as to previous years' stats for interviews/admissions?

2. The admissions website says that a few "highly qualified" applicants are offered admission each year, despite not having completely all required prerequisite courses → contingent on their completion by the end of August before entry.

Can anyone comment on how how detrimental is it to have one missing academic pre-req when you've taken other related courses/excelled in other pre-requisites?

The website says that not having completed all of the pre-requisites places you at a "competitive disadvantage" but does anyone know how they actually consider/contextualize those missing pre-requisites? I might take 6 courses next semester to grab a final pre-requisite at this point, if it's going to be a major concern!! Good idea? Bad Idea? Unnecessary?! Any comments would be unreal!

Thanks!

Hi guys, I was reading on the UW pharmacy website about admission interviews. They seem to select interview candidates based off your cGPA, experience working/volunteering in a pharmacy, and your AIF application which may include any other experience or extracurriculars that you've done. Then they state "the interviewers will not be informed of the applicant’s GPA, and the academic performance will not normally be further considered after the candidate reaches this second stage of the admissions process." So i'm presuming once you've been selected for an interview, you've already surpassed a huge hurdle of the application process? (I know with UofT's application process, they still combine your MMI score, cGPA, and PCAT for final evaluations).

Any tips on how to prepare for panel-style interviews? Lastly I was wondering about the FSA, which they say is an integral component of the application process. Is that a test that people normally prep for? or should you be fine if your writing and math skills are adequate?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any info on how high your cGPA needs to be generally to be invited for an interview? Also, when signing up for CASPer, which ID do we use? I couldn't find any 8-digit ID to use. Thanks!!

Anyone have any info on how high your cGPA needs to be generally to be invited for an interview? Also, when signing up for CASPer, which ID do we use? I couldn't find any 8-digit ID to use. Thanks!!

Hey! For CASPer, you should use your University of Waterloo ID# that would have been included in your initial email from the School of Pharmacy after submitting your application via OUAC. It would be on the email that they sent with the .pdf on application instructions; otherwise, you might be able to find it in your Quest account somewhere?

Hi guys, I was reading on the UW pharmacy website about admission interviews. They seem to select interview candidates based off your cGPA, experience working/volunteering in a pharmacy, and your AIF application which may include any other experience or extracurriculars that you've done. Then they state "the interviewers will not be informed of the applicant’s GPA, and the academic performance will not normally be further considered after the candidate reaches this second stage of the admissions process." So i'm presuming once you've been selected for an interview, you've already surpassed a huge hurdle of the application process? (I know with UofT's application process, they still combine your MMI score, cGPA, and PCAT for final evaluations).

Any tips on how to prepare for panel-style interviews? Lastly I was wondering about the FSA, which they say is an integral component of the application process. Is that a test that people normally prep for? or should you be fine if your writing and math skills are adequate?

Thanks!

Once you're selected for an interview, your GPA doesn't matter anymore. It all comes down to your interview and FSA. As far as I know, there's no specific test to prepare you for the FSA, which by the way is not hard at all, there's nothing tricky about it. If you can do simple math conversions without using the calculator, you should be fine. For the reading section, be prepared to read fast and efficiently and watch out for the time.

Reactions: 1 users
hey guys sorry to be posting here I couldn't find a ubc thread. I'm applying to ubc pharm but I attend waterloo for my undergrad, would anyone who is also applying to ubc mind telling me which prereqs they took for English and biology at uwaterloo?
thanks!

So what is everyone's GPA, volunteer activities, research..etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
@koi313 The cutoff is 75%, regardless of your GPA. If you received your marks on a 4-point scale instead of as a percentage, I suggest using the OMSAS grade conversion table to determine your grade in percentage. OMSAS - Undergraduate Grading System Conversion Table | Ontario Universities' Application Centre

@Sarah101 If it's something you really need to know, try to rephrase the question and email again? If not, just guess the answer, and I doubt you'll be penalized.

Everyone else: I agree with the advice above that when writing the AIF, you should include as many activities as you can - even things you think are unrelated to pharmacy could help you out.

Hey Everyone :)
I hope your application process was smooth. Any insights on CASper (especially from those taking on Jan 24). This is the first time Waterloo is using CASper so I am not sure what to expect.
All the best to those taking on Jan 28!!!

@Pleasehelp! There's a practice test on the CASper site...that should be enough practice. Unless you're a slow typer, in which case you may want to play some online typing games to get your speed up.:)

Hey friends! How do we know if our reference has sent in their LOR?

Hey friends! How do we know if our reference has sent in their LOR?

I believe if you check on Quest, it should indicate whether it's "pending" or "received".
Plus, you can always remind or ask them if they have sent it

Reactions: 1 user
I believe if you check on Quest, it should indicate whether it's "pending" or "received".
Plus, you can always remind or ask them if they have sent it

If the status section is blank, does that mean the university hasn't sent out the form yet to the reference?

How was the CASPer test everyone?
I thought it was okay. I did a couple of full length tests and thought the actual test had better and more reasonable questions LOL. Ofc, we don't see how they're graded. So, the only way we'll find out if we did well on it is if we get an interview lol.

By the time we wait for decisions, what is everyone's GPA, extracurricular activities. pharmacy involvement and Casper test thoughts (how many sentences did u write on average for each answer?/ etc...)

I am hoping that the inactivity in this forum means that not many have applied lool

I'm just wondering if anyone submitted their high school transcripts? Documents list on quest has a list of high schools I attended, but I am not sure if I have to submit transcripts for each school.

I'm just wondering if anyone submitted their high school transcripts? Documents list on quest has a list of high schools I attended, but I am not sure if I have to submit transcripts for each school.
The instructions for the application process tells you to ignore the "submit high school transcripts" section. You are not required to upload high school transcripts. You only need to upload high school transcripts if you're planning to use some of your IB grades to fill the pre-reqs. If that were the case, I'm guessing you only needed to submit the high school transcripts that contained the grade you wanted to use to fill a pre-req.

Reactions: 1 users
The instructions for the application process tells you to ignore the "submit high school transcripts" section. You are not required to upload high school transcripts. You only need to upload high school transcripts if you're planning to use some of your IB grades to fill the pre-reqs. If that were the case, I'm guessing you only needed to submit the high school transcripts that contained the grade you wanted to use to fill a pre-req.
Thank you so much!!

Hello!
I am missing the requirement for english. I was wondering if anyone actually got an interview offer or accepted with missing requirements?

I'm okay with this
Also down for this - let me know!

Am keen to hear back about interviews in a few weeks - I don't know anyone else that has applied to UW?! That being said I think that their numbers have been pretty consistent over the past few years.

Does anyone have helpful links for the interview format or FSA info (having a hard time finding good past forums/things on their website!

Thanks

Hi guys, I would like to be added to the facebook group as well!
@JF93 as far as I know, the interview is around 10 min presentation and then 5 or something questions, I think the entire interview is no longer than 30 mins. Although I am looking at resources to start preparing for the interview, I have not come across anything. Please let me know how you guys are going about preparing for the interview and FAS.

Hey..we have made a fb chat group. let us know if u want to join

@JF93 as far as I know, the interview is around 10 min presentation and then 5 or something questions, I think the entire interview is no longer than 30 mins. Although I am looking at resources to start preparing for the interview, I have not come across anything. Please let me know how you guys are going about preparing for the interview and FAS.
Thanks! That's helpful! I expect they will at least send more details when they announce them

Send me ur fb info in a conversation so i can add u to the chat

also does anyone know if there is any chance the interview dates will come out before April 5th or they tend to respect that date? thank you :)

I would like to join as well! i messaged you. Thanks!

I am too excited for admission interviews to come out!! April 5th is coming up!!!

also does anyone know if there is any chance the interview dates will come out before April 5th or they tend to respect that date? thank you :)

I think this date is pretty firm judging from previous years threads

If a group was made, let me know! I'd love to join.