Watson Goes to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Welp everyone time to find a new career path. Maybe we can find some work making shoes in Thai sweat shops or something.

Interviewer: ...so do you have any questions for us?
Watson: Yes, about three hundred million or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make Watson take the mcat

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Quick! Everyone become a surgeon! :laugh:

Figure its at least 20-30 years until anyone lets a machine operate on them singlehandedly (DaVinci machines are still operated fully by humans so that doesnt count!). Although I suppose the use of Watson type machines in the hospital will reduce the number of statistically unnecessary procedures that surgeons perform.

Quick! Everyone become a surgeon! :laugh:

Figure its at least 20-30 years until anyone lets a machine operate on them singlehandedly (DaVinci machines are still operated fully by humans so that doesnt count!). Although I suppose the use of Watson type machines in the hospital will reduce the number of statistically unnecessary procedures that surgeons perform.

It could help with malpractice

He will score 100/45. He will check for errors in the mcat and submit his request

It would be interesting to see his scores on the mcat and steps

Make Watson take the mcat

He already did... and he got a 46U and was in the 100th percentile. He also hacked their system and sped up the grading process so it only takes a week to get the scores back. The AAMC still is unsure how he did it.

On a serious note, there are already computer programs that do the job of physicians. I shadowed a cardiologist that was part of a study to train a computer program to read ECGs. The computer automatically read it and diagnosed the patient and the physician went through and corrected what needed to be inputted. The computer program then "learned" what the physician included (which involved him reading well over 600 ECGs a day for a week). The program wasn't 100% correct, more like 80%, but it provided a physician a second opinion. The goal is to get it to above 95% and installed in every ER so ER physicians can get expert cardiology input from an ECG instantly if a cardiologist is not available to comment.