wax carving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cusp of carabelli

D.M.D.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I've been working on this wax carving project carving out tooth number 8 on carving wax leaving a 5 mm pedastal on the gingival portion of the root. The only thing is that when I try to add the anatomy on the tooth, the root keeps snapping and I have to start all over from scratch! talk about frustrating.. Neways...Just curious if anyone had any advice on how I could carve the tooth out w/o it breaking. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there el Cusp de Carabelli,

Well, you can try putting a post inside that waxup.. :D

If I was in your shoes I would use something like a plastic casting sprue as the "post" and wax the tooth up around that. Hope your school has issued those sprues to you in your freshman kit!

Good luck!

We've also been waxing in our Dental Anatomy simulation lab. Thus far we've waxed up #11, #9, #7, #25, #23, and #27 the last 4 weeks of school. I'm not sure about posts or whatever, at Nova here, we prep the Typi-dents and do teeth wax-ups and carve. In addition to waxing up teeth and learning their anatomy, we also have to draw each and every tooth type in their different views (facial view, proximal view, and incisal view) on specific graph papers.

We have two lab periods a week, Monday and Wednesday afternoons from 2 - 5 PM. So far so good! :clap:

Yep, them waxups get interesting especially if your school requires them for the Fixed Prosthodontics course..

Here at UB, one of our second-year practicals in Fixed is to wax up a full 3-unit bridge with full-crown retainers on #18 and #20, with a pontic to replace the missing #19. In 3 hours. OY. :p

There was a lot of weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth (heh geddit?) in my class that day..