Way forward,please advice. IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aisabini

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to everyone who matched on Monday. Unfortunately i did not match for the third time and very devastated,needed to share my heart with someone and get advice on way forward.
I am an IMG 2006 graduate,practiced 6 years in my home country and relocated to the USA 7 years ago with my son in search of advanced quality health care who suffered severe ROP due to medical negligence as the hospital ran out of oxygen while he was in the NICU.
In between his various surgeries and rehabilitation,i summoned courage to write the boards by 2014 with a step 1 209,step 2 CK 216 and CS pass all at first attempts and ECFMG certified by 2016. i also did observerships,volunteer work at various clinic and 2 years of hands on clinical experience to strengthen my weak scores
i was lucky to get 2 interviews this season match 2019 in internal medicine at programs i did observership,the program directors seemed impressed during my rotation and subsequent interview. i was particularly excited about the program at Philadelphia so my son could attend overbrook school for the blind,a dream come true.
my world crashed yet again on Monday when i didnt match,really confused on the way forward and i feel stucked in my little suburban in PA.
i will appreciate advice to be a stronger candidate next year,thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you been working on SOAP this week? I heard there are unfilled IM spots although don’t have access to the list.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, sorry you're going through this, this system can be so unforgiving that we get dehumanized in the process. No one deserves that.

I'm a US MD, so take my advice with a grain of salt. But the matched IMG I'm closest to did three years of research, had many many publications, 230s and 240s Step 1 and 2, and still only got 3 interviews out of 150 applications for radiology. IM is less competitive, but I think the failed attempts at applying may make it difficult for you.

Doing multiple years of research may help if you have a particular interest (you really have to like research to be productive, otherwise it won't benefit you, especially if you only do one year), but SOAPing into a prelim spot may be helpful as well, perhaps more helpful than a single year of research. Family medicine is another possibility which is a bit less competitive than IM overall. There are also some states, I think in the midwest, where you can practice as a primary care provider with just one year of residency training (a prelim year usually).

Also, as an IMG, you have the benefit of not being in any debt, so building a research career is a possibility too, keeping in mind that your family might benefit from living in particular locations.

I'm sorry if this is not that helpful, I'm sure you already know a lot of this. But I hope your process is smooth and that you have good people to support you through it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you been working on SOAP this week? I heard there are unfilled IM spots although don’t have access to the list.
yes i have access to the list and participated in the soap, applied to 45 IM programs,nothing so far.
thank you so much for your response

Hey, sorry you're going through this, this system can be so unforgiving that we get dehumanized in the process. No one deserves that.

I'm a US MD, so take my advice with a grain of salt. But the matched IMG I'm closest to did three years of research, had many many publications, 230s and 240s Step 1 and 2, and still only got 3 interviews out of 150 applications for radiology. IM is less competitive, but I think the failed attempts at applying may make it difficult for you.

Doing multiple years of research may help if you have a particular interest (you really have to like research to be productive, otherwise it won't benefit you, especially if you only do one year), but SOAPing into a prelim spot may be helpful as well, perhaps more helpful than a single year of research. Family medicine is another possibility which is a bit less competitive than IM overall. There are also some states, I think in the midwest, where you can practice as a primary care provider with just one year of residency training (a prelim year usually).

Also, as an IMG, you have the benefit of not being in any debt, so building a research career is a possibility too, keeping in mind that your family might benefit from living in particular locations.

I'm sorry if this is not that helpful, I'm sure you already know a lot of this. But I hope your process is smooth and that you have good people to support you through it.
Thank you so much for your response and kindness.Yes am thinking of research as a back up too,i plan to reach out to a doctor in Phily working on a research of blindness prevention from Retinopathy ,that am sure i can pour my heart in because i can relate.
I am also soaping and watching out for prematch and post match positions as well,i also applied to Family medicine programs too.
i appreciate your advice and will continue to press harder.Thank you

Your YOG was almost 13 years ago. That alone unfortunately may prevent you from getting in to a lot of programs as most wont accept applicants that far out

Your YOG was almost 13 years ago. That alone unfortunately may prevent you from getting in to a lot of programs as most wont accept applicants that far out
Thank you very much for your response.
You absolutely right YOG is a deterrent and limit programs to apply to however some of my seniors matched last year. Also opportunity to showcase my wealth of experience came handy at USCE,that explained why I got interviews at only places I rotated.

Thank you very much for your response.
You absolutely right YOG is a deterrent and limit programs to apply to however some of my seniors matched last year. Also opportunity to showcase my wealth of experience came handy at USCE,that explained why I got interviews at only places I rotated.

Sorry, but unfortunately YOG 13 years as mentioned is a major issue, even if you have been practicing. I know you mentioned you moved to the US but care, but again 13years, IMG and not super high scores are difficult to overcome, especially given how competitive the match has gotten and how many more US MDs/DOs there are. I would look into alternatives at this point. Even for an AMG grad if they applied 3 times it would be difficult to overcome. How about thinking of a different alternative, NP, PA or something like that. Not a doctor but it might not be feasible to match. Sorry.

Sorry, but unfortunately YOG 13 years as mentioned is a major issue, even if you have been practicing. I know you mentioned you moved to the US but care, but again 13years, IMG and not super high scores are difficult to overcome, especially given how competitive the match has gotten and how many more US MDs/DOs there are. I would look into alternatives at this point. Even for an AMG grad if they applied 3 times it would be difficult to overcome. How about thinking of a different alternative, NP, PA or something like that. Not a doctor but it might not be feasible to match. Sorry.
Thank you for your response, yes YOG obviously issue here.
Am just optimistic somehow however I will keep an alternative in perspective .
I appreciate your advice