Wayne SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dartmouth2005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you think this is a good idea?

I was thinking of applying to Wayne's SMP in BMS. I am looking to take some more science courses between now and when I attend (if accepted) to medical school in the Fall of 2012.

MCAT: 32S
sGPA: appx. 3.8 (owning the prereqs)
cGPA: 3.1
URM: 1/2 Native and 1/2 Salvadoran
In your shoes I wouldn't take on any more debt, like you'll need to for an SMP. If you want a structured program, look into the URM postbacs like Gtown Gems or Wake Forest, which aren't expensive. Here's an old list - there may be more (and these links might not work now so be ready to Google).
Chicago area med schools - Post Baccalaureate Program Chicago, IL
Creighton - Premedical Post-Bac Program Omaha, NE
Drexel DPMS - Drexel Pathway to Medical School (DPMS) Philadelphia, PA
Georgetown GEMS - Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies (GEMS) Program Washington, DC
Hampton - Medical Science Program Hampton, VA
Indiana - Master of Science in Medical Science Program Indianapolis, IN
Ohio State U - MEDPATH - Postbaccalaureate Program Columbus, OH
Oklahoma State U (OSUCOM) - Bridge Program Tulsa, OK
Southern Illinois U - Medical/Dental Education Preparatory Program Carbondale, IL
U of California Davis - Postbaccalaureate Program (Consortium) Sacramento, CA
U of California Irvine - Postbaccalaureate Program (Consortium) Irvine, CA
U of California Los Angeles (Drew) - Postbaccalaureate Program (Consortium) Los Angeles, CA
U of California Los Angeles (Geffen) - Reapplication Program (Consortium) Los Angeles, CA
U of California Riverside - Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program (Consortium) Riverside, CA
U of California San Diego - Postbaccalaureate Program (Consortium) San Diego, CA
U of California San Francisco - Post Baccalaureate Program (Consortium) San Francisco, CA
U of Connecticut - Minority Post-Baccalaureate Program B Farmington, CT
Wake Forest - Post Baccalaureate Premedical Program Winston-Salem, NC

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of staying in the Detroit area: (1) cause my family lives here and I get free room and board; (2) cause Wayne does not charge me tuition (I get an unusual tuition waiver); and (3) cause I work in the Detroit area.

Since I can't find anything at U of M and since Wayne is high on my list for state medical schools, I think Wayne's SMP is a good way to pass the time between now and Medical school. With the added info, do you (DrMidLife) think that this is a good option?
No additional debt? Then it's definitely a good option. You'll be setting yourself up to succeed in med school, by seeing a large chunk of the material early.

Best of luck to you.

No additional debt? Then it's definitely a good option. You'll be setting yourself up to succeed in med school, by seeing a large chunk of the material early.

Best of luck to you.

Yeah. I don't like to publicize it too much cause it pisses some people off, but, as an Indian who is over 1/4 quarter blood quantum and who is a resident of the state, I get free tuition at all Michigan public universities for any degree. It's basically a right that goes back to the old Indian treaties from the 1850s. The state of MI assumed the feds' obligation to educate Indians in like the 1930s.

Yeah. I don't like to publicize it too much cause it pisses some people off, but, as an Indian who is over 1/4 quarter blood quantum and who is a resident of the state, I get free tuition at all Michigan public universities for any degree. It's basically a right that goes back to the old Indian treaties from the 1850s. The state of MI assumed the feds' obligation to educate Indians in like the 1930s.

Does that include med school? That's pretty much amazing, and if it does - I'd apply to just the Michigan schools first go round and hope to get in sealing in the deal of having no debt whatsoever.

Yup. It does. PhD, post bacc, MS, MD, JD, courses for the hell of it, etc are all covered.

I used to be an attorney (paid for in part by the tuition waiver). See http://www.legislature.mi.gov (S(r2icvmfmyp4g14avel40zn45))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-390-1251.

You will have people disagree with me, but in all honesty - apply NOWHERE else but those public Michigan schools for med school. I think it is a huge blessing for you - doesn't make me mad. We did kind of take your ancestor's land in a really brutal way. Besides the point though - seriously, apply to Michigan schools ONLY. Debt-free would be HUGE. Allowing you to seriously pursue whatever specialty you want, work where you want, really focus on what you want. Debt is not getting better for med students, and if all you had to take out was cost-of-living....HUGE blessing.

I would DEFINITELY apply to Wayne's SMP and stay there.

You will have people disagree with me, but in all honesty - apply NOWHERE else but those public Michigan schools for med school.
Yes, I would disagree. With all do respect, of course. :D Tuition waiver doesn't mean auto-acceptance, as I am sure you well know.You should look around beyond the immediate Detroit areas. Don't forget Oakland Univ. or MSU's DO school. OP, your list seems like a reasonable first pass. Check out my list if you want to get some ideas too.

I go to Wayne, now, and some peeps I know did the Wayne SMP. Said many of their SMP profs also taught the med school classes and the material was very very familiar.

So 1) you are getting a leg up without it costing you an arm in addition. Bonus. Especially if you like to sit indoors depleting yourself of Vitamin D and study all the time.

2) If you want to do Wayne (and why would you not :D ) you come in with a big leg up.

I'd do it if I were in your shoes. Give me a PM, and maybe we can grab a coffee in Scott Hall sometime.

Hi!! Does anybody know if this particular program is friendly to those that work? I actually work at Karmanos Cancer institute and get free tuition. I also have a master's but want to improve my chances of getting into med school. Thanks!!