Non-trad/Vet: Do I need an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papascherbatsky

Non-trad/Career Changer
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a non-trad/veteran/career changer looking for some guidance on whether I should pursue an SMP to become more competitive for CAA school. My cGPA is 3.37, and my sGPA is 3.55 (I graduated in 2020 with 58 credits from a CC and the remaining at a private university).

After I left the service, I wanted to become a dentist. However, midway through my undergrad, challenging life events caused me to do poorly in my first two semesters at the university level--which led me to change career paths entirely. I've been working in the federal sector for a few years now, but a conversation I had with a colleague earlier this year made me realize I should've stayed the course.

While I still daydream of becoming a dentist, I am in my 30s with a small family and do not want to miss out on valuable time with them or accept the debt at this point in life. I have a few hours of shadowing a CAA under my belt, and I am set on making this happen! I completed all the pre-reqs during my undergrad, save for organic chemistry 1, biochemistry, and statistics. I will also need to take the GRE and tack on more shadowing and volunteer hours.

Would an SMP be advisable in this situation?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your service.

SMP is really meant for students interested in becoming more competitive for medical and dental school. For CAA programs, I believe your science GPA is competitive. Having a strong performance on the GRE would help with some of the concerns about the semesters you did worse in classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your service.

SMP is really meant for students interested in becoming more competitive for medical and dental school. For CAA programs, I believe your science GPA is competitive. Having a strong performance on the GRE would help with some of the concerns about the semesters you did worse in classes.
chilly_md,

Thank you, and thank you for the advice! I will move forward with my original plan of doing the pre-reqs and taking the GRE.