Wayne State Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey congrats! since you've gotten accepted, you mind sharing how you did your resume? :) like the headings? i've pretty much done education, work experience, health care experience, and extracurriculars....did you do a cover letter?

also what were the Q's you were asked during your interview?

I had all the same headings as you mentioned in my resume. But also had one for "Qualifications", and also at the end, one titled "Skills" where I discussed some of my skills and how they would help me in pharmacy school. Also, I did not include a cover letter. Didn't even cross my mind until after I sent it to Tamra Watt.

They asked me "Tell us about yourself", "Why pharmacy", "What will you do if you do not get in?" Really easy and very conversational

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Sadly I also was deferred :sorry: I kind of knew this was coming since they would need to pick the best at first and require a larger pool of applicants to compare the rest. I guess I will have to schedule an interview with Ferris its just tough to know whether or not I should take Bio 3200 or not???

Sadly I also was deferred :sorry: I kind of knew this was coming since they would need to pick the best at first and require a larger pool of applicants to compare the rest. I guess I will have to schedule an interview with Ferris its just tough to know whether or not I should take Bio 3200 or not???
what were your stats if you dont mind me asking

Members don't see this ad :)
I had all the same headings as you mentioned in my resume. But also had one for "Qualifications", and also at the end, one titled "Skills" where I discussed some of my skills and how they would help me in pharmacy school. Also, I did not include a cover letter. Didn't even cross my mind until after I sent it to Tamra Watt.

They asked me "Tell us about yourself", "Why pharmacy", "What will you do if you do not get in?" Really easy and very conversational
was your resume one page or two pages?

what were your stats if you dont mind me asking? will you have a degree prior to starting at wayne pharm

I am in same position as you are in. I got differed ;/ Still not sure if i will take BIO 401(BIO 3200) at Oakland Univ. I am hoping they let us know after Nov 10 interviewers interview.

what were your stats if you dont mind me asking? will you have a degree prior to starting at wayne pharm

Yea I am done my degree this semester. Had a 3.43 overall GPA, 3.3 pre-req GPA. 91st PCAT

For those of you who got accepted. How much was the deposit and how long did they give you to pay it?

Hey what are your stats if you dont mind me asking?

what were your stats if you dont mind me asking
No problem, ill list them for you:
3.3 cGPA
3.3 sGPA
3.6 Math GPA
81 PCAT with Chemistry, Biology, Quantitative all in the 90s/Reading drop the score to 80s lol
Volunteer hours at a Pharmacy
No degree but seemed like a lot had one lol that's why it seemed tough to get in!

Reactions: 1 user
I am in same position as you are in. I got differed ;/ Still not sure if i will take BIO 401(BIO 3200) at Oakland Univ. I am hoping they let us know after Nov 10 interviewers interview.
Man I feel you and hopefully we get an answer as soon as possible even if they deny me it would be better then a deferral just want to know what to do next!

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've heard, having no degree doesn't really hurt your chances at all.

From what I've heard, having no degree doesn't really hurt your chances at all.
Yea it's just that you would think if they were choosing between two people who may have similar applications overall that one having a degree would be the deciding factor. It's just a random thing that came to my head lol it's nice having the app for this just realized there was one....

At least you deferred people will most likely get some sort of update a week from today, with the next set of interviews scheduled for next week

At least you deferred people will most likely get some sort of update a week from today, with the next set of interviews scheduled for next week
That sounds great as long as we don't have to wait till February lol

Also got accepted from the October 28th interview! Everything was super conversational and relaxed, good luck to those interviewing on November 10th :D

Hi, if you don't mind what are your stats?

Thank you!
I don't mind!
3.8 cumulative
3.7 science
70 PCAT (Nothing special about it, reading and verbal hurt me a lot)
3 years pharmacy experience
Graduating in Winter 2015 with my bachelors

I don't mind!
3.8 cumulative
3.7 science
70 PCAT (Nothing special about it, reading and verbal hurt me a lot)
3 years pharmacy experience
Graduating in Winter 2015 with my bachelors
Yea I was hoping the PCAT will cover my 3.3 gpa but congrats on getting in!

Thank you, and I feel like your PCAT is pretty solid. I would hope that you will hear after the November interviews so they can get a better look at the entire field. Your stats overall are competitive!

My GPAs were identical to yours, and my PCAT was 91st compared to your 81. If I got in, so will you. I cant imagine they put a lot of difference between a 91 and 81

My GPAs were identical to yours, and my PCAT was 91st compared to your 81. If I got in, so will you. I cant imagine they put a lot of difference between a 91 and 81
That gives me hope lol yea I wish I scored higher on the reading subtest for some reason I got a 7 and I thought I did great on it.

I'm really worried :( if some of you all got deferred with stats like that...sigh

I am extremely nervous for the interview. I have ideas about what to say but i'm really nervous because its all or nothing for me since wayne state is the only school I applied to. I really hope the interview goes my way. And I have heard that it is more of a conversation rather than interview but I am also worried that maybe I'll run out of things to talk about with the interviewers.

That gives me hope lol yea I wish I scored higher on the reading subtest for some reason I got a 7 and I thought I did great on it.
What were your scores for chem, bio, and math? I assume they had to be pretty high to balance out the 7. And plus, those are the most important scores to them anyway.

I am extremely nervous for the interview. I have ideas about what to say but i'm really nervous because its all or nothing for me since wayne state is the only school I applied to. I really hope the interview goes my way.
Yea I was the same before the interview I went over some of the questions they have online of what they might ask that helped a lot and it was exactly the same just half the questions. They will be really nice and turn it into a conversation. Mine dident last too long either maybe 15-20 min and that's probably because I was asked a few questions..

What were your scores for chem, bio, and math? I assume they had to be pretty high to balance out the 7. And plus, those are the most important scores to them anyway.
98 Chemistry, 95 Biology, 91 Quantitative, 35 Verbal. That 7 killed the whole thing after the exam I dident know whether or not I should be happy lol

Yea I was the same before the interview I went over some of the questions they have online of what they might ask that helped a lot and it was exactly the same just half the questions. They will be really nice and turn it into a conversation. Mine dident last too long either maybe 15-20 min and that's probably because I was asked a few questions..
I was thinking about it and I was wondering did they ask anything about maybe skills that you achieved from your extracurriculars and how you can use those skills to help you both in pharmacy school and in a career in pharmacy? I thought to myself at the top of my head that it may be a good question they can ask. But as far as your PCAT scores, I think your scores are great. I had a 90th composite with a 99 in chem, 88 in quant, and 79 in bio so your math and science scores outnumber mine. I wouldn't worry too much I think if you got an interview that early that isn't such a big deal that you got deferred since there wasn't really a large pool of applications they could compare to yours. With your stats I would think you would be at a pretty high priority on the wait list. What about extracurriculars?

I was thinking about it and I was wondering did they ask anything about maybe skills that you achieved from your extracurriculars and how you can use those skills to help you both in pharmacy school and in a career in pharmacy? I thought to myself at the top of my head that it may be a good question they can ask.
Yea actually it was weird that they dident and a lot of good questions I prepared for they never asked but one was twisted. I'll list the questions I was asked and it's pretty similar to Tigerwings post:

Tell me about your self? We all intruduced are self

What interested you in pharmacy?

Where do you see pharmacy in the future? At one point I had told her that machines may be placed to help and she asked...

What if you were replaced by a machine what would you do?

If your not accepted this year what would you do?

What characteristics do you have that would make you a good pharmacist? I was prepared for what would make someone a good pharmacist...

So if anyone wants to add to this, I wanted to make a list of basically any questions/conversation topics that may have been asked from the interviews to help prepare for us November 10th interviewees.

1) Tell me about yourself (Obvious topic, should be the first thing asked without a doubt.)
2) Why pharmacy? Why not other medical careers?
3) Why Wayne State pharmacy?
4) What are your skills?
5) What are your weaknesses?
6) What will you do if you do not get accepted into the program this year?
7) Maybe something pertaining to extracurriculars?
8) If no pharmacy experience, be able to back yourself up with other important points from your resume.
9) Do you have any questions for us? (This is a very important question I assume even if you don't realize it. By asking questions about the program or pharmacy in general, you are showing interest that you want to pursue the program at Wayne State and that you have a strong desire to be a pharmacist if you ask questions pertaining to the field in general.)
10) What characteristics do you have that would make you suitable to be a pharmacist?
11) What is your opinion about the future of pharmacy careers?
If anyone who has been interviewed already has been asked any questions that I didn't mention on this list, please post them!

Last edited:
I am extremely nervous for the interview. I have ideas about what to say but i'm really nervous because its all or nothing for me since wayne state is the only school I applied to. I really hope the interview goes my way. And I have heard that it is more of a conversation rather than interview but I am also worried that maybe I'll run out of things to talk about with the interviewers.
they'll keep asking you questions, because they are the ones leading the interview. Don't be afraid to not give a long answer because sometimes you rather not ramble lol

It is really not bad. The time will fly by. You guys stats are great and I am sure you will do good. When you first get there, they will put all the applicants in a room. Talk talk talk talk! This will relax you and get you ready for the interview.

It is really not bad. The time will fly by. You guys stats are great and I am sure you will do good. When you first get there, they will put all the applicants in a room. Talk talk talk talk! This will relax you and get you ready for the interview.
So is the interview the first part of the 3 hour process? What was the order of the events throughout the 3 hours between the interview, the tour, the essay, and meeting with an adviser?

So is the interview the first part of the 3 hour process? What was the order of the events throughout the 3 hours between the interview, the tour, the essay, and meeting with an adviser?
It depends on what group you are in. You'll be assigned into a random group and one group will do a different one of those things that you mentioned at a time.

It depends on what group you are in. You'll be assigned into a random group and one group will do a different one of those things that you mentioned at a time.
Ohh ok that makes sense. I hope i'm in the group that does the interview first lol I want to get it done and out of the way

I know this may sound like a dumb question, but for those of you who interviewed, what did you guys tell them when they asked you to tell them about yourself? I am stuck on what I should tell them and I don't know how much I should mention.

I know this may sound like a dumb question, but for those of you who interviewed, what did you guys tell them when they asked you to tell them about yourself? I am stuck on what I should tell them and I don't know how much I should mention.
Well I'll tell you what I said..

"21 years old, live in ......, grew up in a big family and worked for my brother for 4+ years and told them the skills I learned leadership, inventory management etc. However volunteering at a pharmacy in the summer was more important to learn first hand what a pharmacist does and now looking for a pharmacy tech job to get some more experience prior to pharmacy school."

Now you might have already had a pharmacy tech job so you can just elaborate on that but starting with age and where you live seemed like the easier way to get thru it lol

Well I'll tell you what I said..

"21 years old, live in ......, grew up in a big family and worked for my brother for 4+ years and told them the skills I learned leadership, inventory management etc. However volunteering at a pharmacy in the summer was more important to learn first hand what a pharmacist does and now looking for a pharmacy tech job to get some more experience prior to pharmacy school."

Now you might have already had a pharmacy tech job so you can just elaborate on that but starting with age and where you live seemed like the easier way to get thru it lol
Ok thank you! I was just trying to figure out my starting point to go from but that sounds like a good intro!

I told them about the things that I thought made me different from other applicants. I talked about my age, how I started college early, how I struggled financially, and English being my first language.

I told them about the things that I thought made me different from other applicants. I talked about my age, how I started college early, how I struggled financially, and English being my first language.
Those are good ideas too..thank you

Ohh ok that makes sense. I hope i'm in the group that does the interview first lol I want to get it done and out of the way
I personally had my interview first and would agree that it is relieving to have it done and over with! Also when talking about yourself, you just want to seem real. Like everyone else said, FAMILY is a game changer. You want to be family oriented number 1 and show you have more to you than just grades and test scores.

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow! I'm starting to get a little nervous.