Wayne State / St. Josephs Pontiac Oakland program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted547631

Anyone know anything about this program?

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: I do/did not work there nor did I train there

Within the last 6 months the "academic" group that was running the program lost their contract with the hospital. The new group is owned by a Private Equity firm and has no previous academic experience. From what I have heard the didactics are almost non-existent and there is a general level of discontent. I have heard that residents complain that they are not relieved for breaks/lunches, lectures or at a reasonable time in the evening. The faculty pay is relatively low and rumor is that their has been a large turn-over in faculty. The group that took over has been described as a place where recent grads go for a year or 2 until they wise up and leave for a better job.

Reactions: 1 users
Disclaimer: I do/did not work there nor did I train there

Within the last 6 months the "academic" group that was running the program lost their contract with the hospital. The new group is owned by a Private Equity firm and has no previous academic experience. From what I have heard the didactics are almost non-existent and there is a general level of discontent. I have heard that residents complain that they are not relieved for breaks/lunches, lectures or at a reasonable time in the evening. The faculty pay is relatively low and rumor is that their has been a large turn-over in faculty. The group that took over has been described as a place where recent grads go for a year or 2 until they wise up and leave for a better job.

Thank you for responding. I’ve also been reading about some things happening at flagship Wayne State / DMC with the latter not renewing contracts with the former. The SJPO program in Pontiac is relatively new.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know anything about this program, but always be wary of any new program. Unless you plan on sticking to the area, the lack of an alumni network isn't going to work in your favor. Sometimes it's good that these programs will give their trainees the leeway to do what they want, but there's a reason most places open residencies. And it's not out of the goodness of their heart.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know anything about this program, but always be wary of any new program. Unless you plan on sticking to the area, the lack of an alumni network isn't going to work in your favor. Sometimes it's good that these programs will give their trainees the leeway to do what they want, but there's a reason most places open residencies. And it's not out of the goodness of their heart.
Is it the goodness of, umm... not their heart?

Are there any programs that do anything out of the goodness of their hearts? There is always someone who is trying to get paid.