Wayne State University (DMC) Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnesthesiaKing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that the WSU anesthesia program is currently run by an IMG (some Russian dude) that actually gives preference to other IMG's. He seeks canidates from other countries that are already established anesthesiologists. He gives them the primary preference. He also loves IMGs and gives them equal if not better grounding than US grads.

From what I was told this program is actually very IMG friendly, as well as DO friendly and actually has no US MD bias. For example if an IMG or DO did a bit better than a US MD grad on his step scores, he would actually have a better chance of matching. Also the program cares nothing about the actual candidate (personality/research/extracircs) and has a point system based primarily on boards and class rank for the match.

Any truth to this from other Wayne State Residents or people who know anything about the program?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
maybe you're right. I don't know when that website was updated. I guess I'll definitely be applying to Wayne state. Us Russians stick together. Thanks for the good news.

maybe you're right. I don't know when that website was updated. I guess I'll definitely be applying to Wayne state. Us Russians stick together. Thanks for the good news.

I heard it first hand from a WSU resident, so its probably accurate to an extent. TO what extent not entirely sure. I also heard similar things about John Stroger (Cook County), but not first hand from a resident. Either way, it might be another very IMG friendly one to keep in mind.

Hey
Lot's of interesting dynamics happening here at WSU/DMC. I'm a CA-2 right now. Dr Marsh is still the PD, and does have equal weighting in interviews/selection as the other attendings who are involved. Dr Marsh does a ton of research, and administrative work. Dr Rusin is also very involved in selection. I'd say they prolly have about equal voices, but I don't know this for a fact.
Either way, black/white/cuban/asian doesn't mean $hit around here, and whether you are an IMG makes no difference. At the end of the day if you're bright (scores), easy to get along with, and teachable, then you have a pretty good chance.
About the previous training comment. Yes, we do have quite a few that are trained in other countries, but at the end of the day, it was their scores and likability that got them in, not a preference for trained residents.
One other thing, being russian doesn't curry preference