Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Derm was one of those courses where everyone got really freaked out, and it was foolish in the long run. I think he said the same thing last year about it being made more difficult, and it still wasn't that bad. Just go with the flow of it, study the pics and handouts, and you'll be fine. I complained about this unit, but I found that in the long run I remembered a ton about Derm when I got to the wards, more than some attendings, which has made me look like an all-star in a few instances.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you narrowed down your list of possibilities career-wise?

I have totally eliminated surgery (and anything related to it), psych, neuro.

Definitely interested in EM.

Still considering FP.

Verdict still out on peds, IM 'cuz I have 'em last...
kdickson4.jpg

Hey all,

Was recently accepted to Wayne and figured I would post in here. Although I wish someone would have told me about this site earlier, it really doesn't matter because I was accepted into one of my top choices (Wayne)! This site should advertise more because it is very informative...

After I read the billion posts about this school I may come back with some questions so be prepared.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Wayne provide lap tops or PDAs? I'm guessing no since I haven't heard anything yet, but I know some schools do.

ALSO

Are there any good, close mountain biking areas around detroit(Royal Oak, Grosse Point, etc.) or would I have to drive? Would I be allowed to bike into Canada?

Does Wayne provide lap tops or PDAs? I'm guessing no since I haven't heard anything yet, but I know some schools do.

ALSO

Are there any good, close mountain biking areas around detroit(Royal Oak, Grosse Point, etc.) or would I have to drive? Would I be allowed to bike into Canada?

You will be required to buy a PDA second year. It's pretty much worthless during 2nd year, but supposedly it gets soe good use 3rd & 4th year. The school assumes we need a year to learn how to use them....

Not sure about the mountain biking...

any 3rd years want to chime in about how helpful the CT clinic days are??

You will be required to buy a PDA second year. It's pretty much worthless during 2nd year, but supposedly it gets soe good use 3rd & 4th year. The school assumes we need a year to learn how to use them....

Not sure about the mountain biking...

There are a few good mountain biking areas in metro Detroit, but none that I think of near downtown... All of the Oakland County parks are pretty nice and a few have some decent mountain biking... and there's a great course in Holly, about an hour up I-75 that a lot of hard core riders frequent (though I dont know how often you'd get up there. I just use it because it's 10 minutes from my house)

ALSO

Stoney Creek Trail is decent in Rochester which is in Eastern Oakland County North of Troy and Royal Oak. As said previously, there are a lot of trails in Oakland.

any 3rd years want to chime in about how helpful the CT clinic days are??

For one thing, you are required to go to those under threat of having to write a long research paper if you skip; and they will follow through on the threat.

They were rather good last year, but since that time Dr. Nasser and the entire ortho department got canned by Duggan. So, who knows what will happen or who will be teaching it.

QUOTE]

For future reference, the only things that Wayne provides you are a reason to plunge yourself into deep debt (8th most expensive public med school in the country; check the AAMC website to verify if you wish) and a lot of unnecessary headache. You are on your own with everything else.

For future reference, the only things that Wayne provides you are a reason to plunge yourself into deep debt (8th most expensive public med school in the country; check the AAMC website to verify if you wish) and a lot of unnecessary headache. You are on your own with everything else.

For those who won't want to believe this stat:
http://services.aamc.org/tsfreports...ee_sort&year_of_study=2007&select_control=PUB

'Cause I sure wasn't happy when I found out that Wayne is more expensive to attend than UofM or MSU-CHM.

Members don't see this ad :)
For one thing, you are required to go to those under threat of having to write a long research paper if you skip; and they will follow through on the threat.

They were rather good last year, but since that time Dr. Nasser and the entire ortho department got canned by Duggan. So, who knows what will happen or who will be teaching it.

Dr. Nasser is still teaching... or at least he did a lecture today, so i was told. I am glad they are good.. at least it won't be a total waste of time.

that health insurance is expensive

yeah, if you are married and can get under your significant other's insurance or if you can get covered under your parents' plan, you are going to want to do it.

I Have a living question about wayne. I kinda like Farmington Hills. Does anyone..., or know anyone living there? I need feedback like apart. complexes, commuting to school.....
Thanks...

I just got in to Wayne ! :D I have a lot of time on my hands the next few months... I was thinking about picking up First Aid (?) for Step 1. Anything else I should look in to ? Or will this more than keep me occupied?

I just got in to Wayne ! :D I have a lot of time on my hands the next few months... I was thinking about picking up First Aid (?) for Step 1. Anything else I should look in to ? Or will this more than keep me occupied?
I would just relax from now until August - don't worry about anything med school other than getting a place to live, etc. You'll have plently of time to stress about school when it starts, for now just save up your energy. You'll be fine when it starts.

Congrats, and go take a nap.

I would just relax from now until August - don't worry about anything med school other than getting a place to live, etc. You'll have plently of time to stress about school when it starts, for now just save up your energy. You'll be fine when it starts.

+1

I've been in this high-stress mode for the last year... I can't help but start looking ahead to the next thing I need to take down. ;) Maybe I should start sucking up to get some of these scholarships :laugh:

I've been in this high-stress mode for the last year... I can't help but start looking ahead to the next thing I need to take down. ;) Maybe I should start sucking up to get some of these scholarships :laugh:

congrats. amen to what mendel said. i remember feeling the same as you, but trust me, there is nothing you can do or should do right now that will help you out for next year. i had a lot of fun the summer before... went camping a few times, went on hikes, tubing down rivers, lots of beer, cookouts, beaches, went out west. it was a blast. if i were you, i would plan to do the same after you figure out where you are going to live.

congrats. amen to what mendel said. i remember feeling the same as you, but trust me, there is nothing you can do or should do right now that will help you out for next year. i had a lot of fun the summer before... went camping a few times, went on hikes, tubing down rivers, lots of beer, cookouts, beaches, went out west. it was a blast. if i were you, i would plan to do the same after you figure out where you are going to live.

alright f*ck it... i'm gonna go to europe and chill for abit

Do you like fast, wide track riding (Island Lake Rec Area) or slower, technical stuff (Highland Rec Area--top notch!) or something in between (Maybury State Park)? You'll have to drive about 45 min. from the SOM. I'd also contact the Michigan Mountain Bike Association (mmba.org) or the two REI stores in the area.

About riding into Canada...I've always wondered about doing that. I'd contact Back Alley Bikes (a uniquely Detroit institution, if you've got mechanics skills you can volunteer there helping little kids fix their bikes) or criticalmassdetroit.org

alright f*ck it... i'm gonna go to europe and chill for abit

I say that's a great plan. You won't remember anything you try to study this summer anyways. It's a better idea to rest and charge the batteries 'cuz you'll need all the energy when school starts.

I Have a living question about wayne. I kinda like Farmington Hills. Does anyone..., or know anyone living there? I need feedback like apart. complexes, commuting to school.....
Thanks...

Hey I will be going to wayne next year and currently live in farmington hills. It is a really nice city but still atleast 25 minutes from wayne and some tough traffic from time to time. I was looking into living in Royal Oak is there a certain apt. complex people tend to live in. Does anyone have a good argument to live in detroit versus royal oak? thanks.

So a few of my gunner friends are planning on studying for boards during spring break. I had planned on getting away from Detroit and having a little more fun. I don't need to be worrying about boards over break, right? The only thing I planned on doing was finalizing my study schedule...

So a few of my gunner friends are planning on studying for boards during spring break. I had planned on getting away from Detroit and having a little more fun. I don't need to be worrying about boards over break, right? The only thing I planned on doing was finalizing my study schedule...

I'm not doing any studying for boards either. I may try to catch up in Bates, but that is it. I already have dates planned with friends and family that I haven't seen since x-mas or longer. Of course, I am a consumate non-gunner, so I may not be the best example.

Nope, you don't need to worry about the boards. Finish the year, learn as much as you can. You get 4-5 weeks, which is more than enough. I was ready to take em after about 3 straight weeks of studying. Just enjoy what you have left of second year, it gets much worse next year.

Nope, you don't need to worry about the boards. Finish the year, learn as much as you can. You get 4-5 weeks, which is more than enough. I was ready to take em after about 3 straight weeks of studying. Just enjoy what you have left of second year, it gets much worse next year.

what? i thought it was suppose to get better :eek: how is it worse? i already know i will have less video game time :(

what? i thought it was suppose to get better :eek: how is it worse? i already know i will have less video game time :(

He's lying. 3rd year is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than 2nd. You have a lot more time to prepare for the exams which are straightforward, thus much easier than Wayne exams. Also, you get to be around real patients, learning actually useful info and not sitting in boring lectures all day. There are a few rotations that suck (i.e. surgery, neuro, etc) but I wouldn't trade the worst day of surgery for the best day of second year. I feel a lot less stressed and way more happy this year.

He's lying. 3rd year is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than 2nd. You have a lot more time to prepare for the exams which are straightforward, thus much easier than Wayne exams. Also, you get to be around real patients, learning actually useful info and not sitting in boring lectures all day. There are a few rotations that suck (i.e. surgery, neuro, etc) but I wouldn't trade the worst day of surgery for the best day of second year. I feel a lot less stressed and way more happy this year.

i am glad to hear that! i was talking to a friend of mine who is a fourth year. earlier this year he spent 5 days in florida and a few days in hawaii interviewing. most of it was paid for by the residency program. he had also taken off quite a few more days for interviewing. he is set on family practice, so he has been taking a bunch of easy electives- a couple that were either only 2-3 days a week or 5 days a week, out by noon. it sounded like he has been having a blast.

wow, i think CT was the best unit we have ever had in terms of organization.

i just know i will be the person to get te 85% and get a 400:laugh:

I'm just happy that my average will be going UP after this test...that makes it two in a row now!!! Much better than the decline of cardio and UT.

I am heading to wayne next year, and was wondering if anyone that currently goes to wayne could fill me in on where a good place would be to get a gym membership? Is the IM building pretty nice? I looked at the virtual tour online but I really couldn't tell how nice it was. I am 99% sure I want to live in Royal Oak, and I only saw a few gyms in the area: Total Fitness, the Y, and Golds Gym. Is there anyone out there belongs to any of these gyms? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Don't worry about boards until classes are finished.

I'm just happy that my average will be going UP after this test...that makes it two in a row now!!! Much better than the decline of cardio and UT.

well that's good to hear. ...your baby is getting so big!

I am heading to wayne next year, and was wondering if anyone that currently goes to wayne could fill me in on where a good place would be to get a gym membership? Is the IM building pretty nice? I looked at the virtual tour online but I really couldn't tell how nice it was. I am 99% sure I want to live in Royal Oak, and I only saw a few gyms in the area: Total Fitness, the Y, and Golds Gym. Is there anyone out there belongs to any of these gyms? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

sorry. i do not lve in the RO area. It is a good thing to join a gym in the beginning and stick to a schedule. I know people that go to the gym in RO area, but to tell you the truth, i really do not know where. a couple years ago i knew a couple who went to the Y and seemed happy. if you do not get an answer here, you may want to check with student affairs and/or your apartment complex (if you are oging to live in one). My apartment complex offers a HUGE discount for a local gym where I live.
or

Have you been a member of a gym before? You could pick based on what you have liked in the past.

or

When are you moving in? The first week that you start, you won't have any classes. So even if you move in the day before school, you will still have time to check them out.

I know you are just trying to get an idea of where to start... i am just trying to help you out the best that I can :) I would a) ask around, b) choose a couple based on past experiences and what people say, c) tour a couple and pick based on that. You shouldnt have a problem. Good luck, sorry for lengthy response... i am on spring break and dont know what to with all this extra time... i guessed i should be using it to sleep! :) *ramble* ramble..

In response to Treyno:

You may first want to visit the fitness center on the main WSU campus, which is just about a mile from the SOM and free for students during the fall and winter terms. I think it's pretty nice.

www.rfc.wayne.edu

We just had her 6 month appointment today!!! She is just over 14 lbs and 25 inches now. I can't believe that she is 6 months old already - this year has just flown by. Actually my pic right now is about a month out of date....I'll have to upload a new one.

So, YOU are the type of person that says that type of stuff, the "your worst day of third year is better than your best day of second year" garbage. I always wondered who perpetuated those lies....

So, YOU are the type of person that says that type of stuff, the "your worst day of third year is better than your best day of second year" garbage. I always wondered who perpetuated those lies....

I'm just telling them how I've felt this year. And many of my friends feel the same way. I think people who liked second year more than third are in the minority. I have yet to meet someone who misses the stress, mild depression, and horror...

I'm just telling them how I've felt this year. And many of my friends feel the same way. I think people who liked second year more than third are in the minority. I have yet to meet someone who misses the stress, mild depression, and horror...

Not to mention the exams every two weeks in second year with step 1 hanging over your head.

Although I won't use the best/worst comparison (because surgery at harper really sucked and there are some good Y2 days), I agree that Y3 is much better than Y2 because you actually are learning what you wanted to learn when you first came to med school. I do miss sleep, but I sure don't miss Jaffar and Blue. I think that the aforementioned "year 3 sucks" minority are largely from the group that never came to class the first two years and don't like it that they have to show up every day or else.

Not to mention the exams every two weeks in second year with step 1 hanging over your head.

Although I won't use the best/worst comparison (because surgery at harper really sucked and there are some good Y2 days), I agree that Y3 is much better than Y2 because you actually are learning what you wanted to learn when you first came to med school. I do miss sleep, but I sure don't miss Jaffar and Blue. I think that the aforementioned "year 3 sucks" minority are largely from the group that never came to class the first two years and don't like it that they have to show up every day or else.

well the people who think year 2 is better than year 3 cannot be everyone that did not go to class if your year is anything like ours... from what i have heard and from what i can see from streaming over 2/3 people do not go to class.

well the people who think year 2 is better than year 3 cannot be everyone that did not go to class if your year is anything like ours... from what i have heard and from what i can see from streaming over 2/3 people do not go to class.

OK, let me rephrase. It is far more likely that the people who think year 2 is better than year 3 are from the group that never came to class rather than the group that showed up to class regularly.

Okay, I wasn't going to chime in on this one, but here goes:

Are there days during third year that I hate the idea of going into the hospital?
Yes

Were there days during first and second year that I hated the idea of going into Scott Hall?
Certainly

Have there been rotations that I really disliked?
Without a doubt

Have there been rotations that I enjoyed?
A couple; hopefully with a couple still to come.

Were that classes that really sucked for me?
Of course, was lucky to pass a few of them.

Were there more days that I truly hated my life and wondered why I came to med school during the preclinical years or during third year?
On average I disliked the preclinical years more. But there is still the occasional day (like when rounds feel like they are never going to end and I am not learning anyting on them) that really sucks.

So is the worst day of third year better than the best day of second year?
NO

Is third year usually better than second year?
Depends on how well you fit into the mold of your current clerkship. I have seen classmates almost suicidal on a clerkship while another classmate is having the time of their life on the same team.

Like most of med school the clinical years are what you make of them. But what you make of them can be a little more limited by the quality of the team that you are assigned to.

One last thing to realized about third year: it is now less "school" and more a job that you are paying for the privilege of having (with the occasional exam that you should be studying for almost every night). Generally, the more difficulty you have accepting and embracing that fact the less happy you will be.