Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xshooshix

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see any threads for Wayne State University's pharmacy school so I thought i'd start a thread for those waiting to get interviewed and the admissions process. I just got an e-mail from Michael saying I got an interview on January 7th. This is my second year applying, after not getting in after my interview. Good luck to all applicants!:)

Members don't see this ad.

i have not heard from them. please can you post ur stats.

I didn't see any threads for Wayne State University's pharmacy school so I thought i'd start a thread for those waiting to get interviewed and the admissions process. I just got an e-mail from Michael saying I got an interview on January 7th. This is my second year applying, after not getting in after my interview. Good luck to all applicants!:)

When did you apply? Would you mind sharing your stats?

What do you think went wrong in the interview the first time?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey! i just got the email. interview on the 7th of Jan.

i am yet to respond because i need to attach my CV. i hope to see u on that day. good luck. i am planning to get there the day b4 so if u have any suggestions abt hotels or accomodation plans, please let me know.
thanx

i am yet to respond because i need to attach my CV. i hope to see u on that day. good luck. i am planning to get there the day b4 so if u have any suggestions abt hotels or accomodation plans, please let me know.
thanx
Oh don't worry about that! I sent my CV a couple of days before my interview last January... I had a classmate in my A&P lab who did the same thing... she scheduled without sending a CV as she was still working on it. If you send it now, it's just going to be sitting in your folder. ;) I am pretty sure she got in somewhere. I think your chances are good. :)

I would take the megabus :D. As you can see, I am taking the megabus again to Chicago tomorrow... it was 30 bucks for a two week advance booking. I would book your bus ASAP since they got expensive the last couple weeks. :( When I booked my trip for my CCP interview (a month in advance), I paid 8 bucks! They leave about a block away from Union Station... I think on Adams street? I know the street is parallel to the Clinton stop on the blue line... i'm sure you'll figure it out... you're from Chicago! They stop at my school (Wayne) and another stop in downtown Detroit (about a 5 minute drive from the Pharmacy school). I am not sure about hotel accommodations... as I live on campus. You will have to ask Michael for that.

Last edited:
when did u have ur interview at ccp. i was there on the 19 of nov. thanks for the advice. i will go ahead and make the bus arrangement asap.

Oh don't worry about that! I sent my CV a couple of days before my interview last January... I had a classmate in my A&P lab who did the same thing... she scheduled without sending a CV as she was still working on it. If you send it now, it's just going to be sitting in your folder. ;) I am pretty sure she got in somewhere. I think your chances are good. :)

I would take the megabus :D. As you can see, I am taking the megabus again to Chicago tomorrow... it was 30 bucks for a two week advance booking. I would book your bus ASAP since they got expensive the last couple weeks. :( When I booked my trip for my CCP interview (a month in advance), I paid 8 bucks! They leave about a block away from Union Station... I think on Adams street? I know the street is parallel to the Clinton stop on the blue line... i'm sure you'll figure it out... you're from Chicago! They stop at my school (Wayne) and another stop in downtown Detroit (about a 5 minute drive from the Pharmacy school). I am not sure about hotel accommodations... as I live on campus. You will have to ask Michael for that.

hey can you guide me on how to take this bus from wayne state campus to Midwester CCP and cost?

hey can you guide me on how to take this bus from wayne state campus to Midwester CCP and cost?

Megabus leaves in front of the Barnes and Noble on Warren... they also have a stop in Ann Arbor (I hate it when we stop there, since the bus gets REALLY crowded after we leave). They stop at Grand Circus Park downtown, then Wayne. The recent popularity of megabus is the reason why they started charging 40-50 dollars a ticket.... I miss the good days when they used to be 10-15 dollars the night before departure.

www.megabus.com

Go to Union Station and take the Metra... buy it at the station it will cost you 4.50, buy it in the train (in case you are running late), will cost you 6.50. When you go through the Adams street entrance, go down the escalators and to your right is another escalator, which only goes in one direction. The metra is to the right of the escalators. You'll see automatic glass doors... go through that. I forgot what train you have to get on... you'll have to look that information up on Metra's website or ask CCP students. I believe I got on the 8:40 PM train (look it up on the TV where they have schedules). IMPORTANT: there are TWO downers grove stops, so ask the admissions that... they should know that information. I had a friend from CCP pick me up. There are always cabs waiting outside the station, so no worries. :)

Last edited:
hey u are the sort of people we need on this forum. very caring and informative. good luck and i hope u get into ur #1 school.

they scheduled me for 11:30. hope to c ya

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email from michael yesterday to for january 7th too. Does anybody know what exactly this decision (sending out interview requests) was decided upon? Is it solely based on GPAs and PCAT scores? I know WSU has rolling admissions - do they still look at your marks despite you get accepted AT the interview? What is the minimum GPA you should at least maintain?

Last question - How long did it take for them to send you back your time? I sent my resume in yesterday but so far I have no replies.

Thank you :)

I got an email from michael yesterday to for january 7th too. Does anybody know what exactly this decision (sending out interview requests) was decided upon? Is it solely based on GPAs and PCAT scores? I know WSU has rolling admissions - do they still look at your marks despite you get accepted AT the interview? What is the minimum GPA you should at least maintain?

Last question - How long did it take for them to send you back your time? I sent my resume in yesterday but so far I have no replies.

Thank you :)
i think its based on your complete application package including ur rec letters, pcat,gpa, essay on pharmcas, EC and how u compare to other applicants. these things will get u a chance for interview and rem pharm schools rank the people they are interviewing and therefore if u happen to be at the top and u dont mess up at the interview then u are most likely guranteed admission. however if u are the bottom and u do exceptionally well at the interview then that also helps. but once u are accepted, some schools will want u to get a c or better in all ur rem prereqs as a final condition of acceptance. however some schools have a minimun gpa that u need as a condition of acceptance and therefore u will want to get a higher grade to meet that requirement. but if u have all the prereqs and they accept u after the interview then u are good.
it took them 2 days to get back to me with my time. take it easy cos u will hear from them tmorrow.
Good luck

Thank you!

That did make me feel a bit better... but I know some of you guys got your emails on december 2nd... and I just got mine yesterday - does this mean I was at the bottom?

Also.. i have a really low GPA this fall semester.. i have two C's... do you think that will affect me very badly?

Last edited:
i hope u are still above the minimum gpa they require. also if the c's are from non science courses then i wouldnt be that concerned. are u a student at wayne? if not then they probably will not c those grades b4 they make their final decision. i guess the deadline for pharmcas to receive fall grades will be after the interview and hopefully they make their decision b4.
on why they sent us their decision earlier than u, i dont know and it might have nothing to do with their ranking system. i did apply very early (aug) and i dont know whether that was a factor, then again it doesnt matter since we are all being interviewed on the same day. also they have tons of application stuff to go through so definately some will be evaluated earlier than others. good luck

I have two C's in microbio and human physiology. I'm doomed. Now my GPA is 3.2
If they DO make a decision at the interview - (they can do that, right?) and if my grade is bad afterwards... what do they do?

Also yes, I'm doing undergrad at WAyne at the moment.

well since u are a student at wayne, then there is pros and cons. on the positive side, they give preference to instate students espercially their own students and rem. ur gpa is still above the minimum reqmt. they will be able to access u better becos u are getting ur letters of rec. from the same school and that will also be important. i dont know ur pcat score but it can also be helpful if you have a lower gpa. i dont think u are doomed becos people get into pharmacy school with far less gpa than urs but there have to be something eye catching abt their application. maybe u have extensive pharmacy or other health care experience. being admitted depends on so many factors so dont freak out with ur low gpa.
i hope u are not applying to wayne alone
on the negative side, it is likely they might c ur grades for fall but prepare to answer them if they ask u why u had those grades. it is also likely that they might not even c it. use the interview as ur chance to make up for ur low gpa. cheer up and be proud that at least u have an interview and make the best out of it.

Hmm.. well the deadline for fall 2008 grades on pharmcas is feb 2.. and since my interview is in january, i suppose i will just submit my gpas after the interview??

lol also do you know anything about rolling admissions? Do ppl actually get accepted at their interviews? I mean, is this possible?

schools do rolling admissions becos not all admitted students will accept their offer. some students change their decision very late in the admission process and schools can always fall on their waitlisted applicants. that is why the admission process is continuos till toward matriculation. so it is likely that some waitlisted applicants can get accepted late in the process.
I dont think they will tell u at the interview that u have been accepted since the final decision is not based on the interview only. there have been instances when people get acceptance fone call the same day they interviewed or just a couple of days after. it all depends on the school and where u rank as compared to other applicants. admission is not based on only interview, pcat, gpa, etc but the whole package.

c u on the 7th. good luck and enjoy the xmas

do they look at ur higest PCAT scores or most recent ones?:(

i guess they look at ur highest but it should not be more than 3yrs

do they look at ur higest PCAT scores or most recent ones?:(
Wayne will accept the most recent score. If you do worse with your second time, then they will take the second one unfortunately.

33% GPA. 33% PCAT 33% interview (interview and essay, though when I was interviewed last year, the student tour guide told me that they don't really look at the essay... he was REALLY sketchy.) 1% everything else.
You can probably cure cancer and that would still be in that 1%. :rolleyes:

The school is not rolling admissions. They usually pick the cream of the crop students who have PCAT 80 and above and GPAs who are within the average range (3.65+) two weeks after the interview. Afterwards, expect to hear back until the end of March when they are done with all the interviews. This is where they accept majority of their students. They interview 175-200 people a year, accept 108. You have a 50% chance of getting in, but it gets competative every year.

To the other WSU student above: I also got a C in Marty's class. What a ****ing jerk. I was getting an B+/A- in the class until he waltzed right in the middle of the semester... I guess I wasn't prepared with the thoroughness of his exams. I am not going to lie, he did make me learn a lot. Concerning my grade.... whatEVER. :mad:

^ You had interviews before? What do you think went wrong, seeing how you're still in the running for pharmacy?? Any hints?

And yes, i DID learn a lot from Marty, but he was very hard. And I was really mad at the person who made the petition.

I have him next semester again for A&P. Have you had him before?

And about the 33% thing - did you just make that up or is there a site clearly mentioning it?

^ You had interviews before? What do you think went wrong, seeing how you're still in the running for pharmacy?? Any hints?

And yes, i DID learn a lot from Marty, but he was very hard. And I was really mad at the person who made the petition.

I have him next semester again for A&P. Have you had him before?

And about the 33% thing - did you just make that up or is there a site clearly mentioning it?
I'm actually at the airport right now as I am going home for the break... the 33% came from Michael. I have never had marty before, but my friends had to have a week of studying before taking his exams... im still running for pharmacy because i am very passionate about making it into the health care industry. I can't help you with any questions as most of my questions came from my EC work. (One of them asked about my art since I participated in art contests and whatnot)

wow I did bad in that physio class too ..what a nightmare. The grading scale was crazy too.

I had marty for A&P he is a great teacher..the class was really fun and he gave us alot of Extra Credits.

they don't let us delete our messages now? wtf mang

Hey folks, i have declined my interview requst from wayne, i hope this gives somebody an opportunity. Good luck to all who are interviewing this week

hey!

for all that is applying, since i didn't have to take this class when i applied (before this was made a requirement), how did everyone find out about BIO 3200/Human Physiology pre-req? and how do ppl feel if wayne state pharm requires a B.S. in a couple years for admission? just curious....i wish good luck to all those that applied.

anybody else get accepted yesterday?
this was my first interview and first acceptance 2 days later so i'm wondering if i should keep going to other interviews or do any more supplemental apps.

interviews at nova/pba jan 22/23, osu jan 30, umich feb 20 so far

this was my first interview and first acceptance 2 days later so i'm wondering if i should keep going to other interviews or do any more supplemental apps.

That is awesome! Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? I still haven't heard back from Wayne at all..

Yes stats PLEASE!

hey! did you get an email saying you were accepted?? or was it a mailed letter?? I interviewed on the 7th, but I haven't heard anything yet. :(

I, too, had an interview at WSU on January 7th. I received my acceptance e-mail sometime on Friday, January 9th. They also called to inform me that I was accepted. I was truly surprised to get accepted only a couple days after my interview. Congratulations to all who applied and were interviewed! And for those who are truly worried about not being accepted, all I can say is to just wait. You might be pleasantly surprised! :D

my stats were average i think, i was about 3.4 gpa but i finished with a bio degree from wayne state so maybe i got preference, 87 pcat, bombed on verbal with like 42% but killed bio, math, science sections. work experience in the hospital as a tech and i was really involved. i sorta wish i'd found out later if i was accepted since i have to respond and put down a deposit before i finish my other interviews. but goodluck to everybody and maybe i'll see some of u at wayne

Has anyone received an interview invitation lately? The only correspondance I've received from WSU was an email letting me know they received my application.

You should have gotten a response from Wayne awhile back... even my friend last year who submitted late got a response around last week. Give it another week, and then call them to ask what's up.

I interviewed for the first interview date and I haven't heard from them since. Like I stated earlier, they pick out the cream of the crop first, wait until the all the interviews are done, then accept a lot of students around March. My stats were decent last year, but my PCAT score was lower 10 pts since I decided to retake in October to raise my reading score (big mistake). I am still hopeful to get into Wayne even though I was accepted at another school.

So, keep us updated to anyone who gets accepted/decline/interview!

I have not heard from them yet :(

Last edited:
I have not heard back from them either. Do they send out an e-mail to notify you that they are not interested or do they simply not contact you for the interview? I'm wondering if I'm ever going to hear from them...

I just got the email from Michael saying that I need to schedule for an interview on Jan 29th. Talk about short notice! To all those who have already interviewed what types of questions were you asked? Also what did you wear? Business casual or business suit? Ack I'm so nervous!

Hey, congrats on your interview!

I just had my interview at WSU on the 23rd.
As far as questions go, they asked the pretty standard questions (Why pharmacy?, Why Wayne State?), etc.....

The whole atmosphere is really laid back and everyone there is great.
The setup is:
-30 minute tour with 3 other applicants and a P1 student
-30 minute essay (a non-pharmacy, ethical question) (Ours took about 15-20 minutes)
-30 minute interview (mine lasted about 20 minutes)
-A 5-10 minute meeting with Michael to discuss grades, what classes you still need, etc...

Oh, and everyone there was in a full business suit. I wouldn't recommend anything more casual than that, or you'll stick out quite noticeably.

I just got the email from Michael saying that I need to schedule for an interview on Jan 29th. Talk about short notice! To all those who have already interviewed what types of questions were you asked? Also what did you wear? Business casual or business suit? Ack I'm so nervous!

Congrats :) Would you mind sharing your stats?

Hey, congrats on your interview!

I just had my interview at WSU on the 23rd.
As far as questions go, they asked the pretty standard questions (Why pharmacy?, Why Wayne State?), etc.....

The whole atmosphere is really laid back and everyone there is great.
The setup is:
-30 minute tour with 3 other applicants and a P1 student
-30 minute essay (a non-pharmacy, ethical question) (Ours took about 15-20 minutes)
-30 minute interview (mine lasted about 20 minutes)
-A 5-10 minute meeting with Michael to discuss grades, what classes you still need, etc...

Oh, and everyone there was in a full business suit. I wouldn't recommend anything more casual than that, or you'll stick out quite noticeably.

Thank you so much for the info! Were you given any information about where to go, who to meet, or a detailed schedule? I was told that my time was at 4:30pm and that was it. Isn't that kind of late? I thought they always did the interviews earlier in the day since it's supposed to take about 3 hrs.

Here are my stats:

BA in Biochemistry
Overall GPA: 3.63
PCAT Composite: 65 :scared: I bombed out on the Math and Chemistry sections barely scrapping by with a 52 and 53 (and I'm a chemistry grad for pete's sake!) I was only 1/2 done with those sections when they called 5 min!
Pharmacy experience: none
Work experience: worked at the NIOSH (National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health) for 6 months and at the FBI for 1 1/2 years as a 'research chemist'.
Volunteer experience: Worked at a local hospital as a 'candy striper' for a year and also at a free clinic for one summer.
LORs: Three total - Two from my employeers at the FBI and one from my chemistry professor
Date of application submission: 11:55pm Dec 1st...I procrastonate lol

Really, the only info I was given was the email that said where to park, and what time to show up.
Once you get there, someone will be waiting at the door to hand out a nametag and show you where to go. Just make sure that you use the "back" entrance that faces north because the other one is locked (found that out the hard way...)
At 4:30, You'll definitely be in the last group of people to go. On the 23rd they only had interviews scheduled until 3:30, and I would plan on being there the full 3 hours for sure.

I'm still waiting to hear back one way or another. They told me that it would take anywhere from 3 days to a month......

Our stats are pretty comparable
-BS in Bio (3.5 overall GPA)
-92% PCAT composite
-No pharmacy/volunteer experience
-2+ years working in an emergency room

good luck!

Here are my stats:

BA in Biochemistry
Overall GPA: 3.63
PCAT Composite: 65 :scared: I bombed out on the Math and Chemistry sections barely scrapping by with a 52 and 53 (and I'm a chemistry grad for pete's sake!) I was only 1/2 done with those sections when they called 5 min!
Pharmacy experience: none
Work experience: worked at the NIOSH (National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health) for 6 months and at the FBI for 1 1/2 years as a 'research chemist'.
Volunteer experience: Worked at a local hospital as a 'candy striper' for a year and also at a free clinic for one summer.
LORs: Three total - Two from my employeers at the FBI and one from my chemistry professor
Date of application submission: 11:55pm Dec 1st...I procrastonate lol

Hmm.. i submitted my app on the 29th of September and have yet to hear a peep out of wayne....

Hmm.. i submitted my app on the 29th of September and have yet to hear a peep out of wayne....
That's odd, because you should have gotten a response awhile ago. What are your PCAT scores? If they are on the high end, then you shouldn't worry, but I would still call. If they are on the lower end, it wouldn't make sense because my friend last year interviewed with a 56 PCAT, but decent GPA and work experience. Then again, he was a Wayne State student, so he may have gotten preference...

Either way, I would contact Michael tomorrow if I were you.