Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey xsooshix, congrats! i am happy for you.:love:
Thanks for your support and I see that you got into a university in Wisconsin. :) Are going to interview at UIC? I hope you get into your school of choice. I was happy to get in Midwestern CPG because of the 3 year program, but I was afraid to be far away from my boyfriend in Chicago. This is the best consolation prize since being waitlisted at CCP.

P.S.

Now that I got in... here are my stats:
Overall: 3.34... but my overall Wayne GPA is 3.6ish. GPA alone last semester was 2.98. My GPA is low because I went to an art school in New York and had a little too much to party. lol.
PCAT: 1st time: 33% 2nd: 70% 3rd: 62 (the score they based their decision on, and I studied a week of the exam)
Credentials: PCTB certified, with no tech experience. Worked on some pharmacy related projects with a Allied health program dean who is a pharmacist; shadowed two community pharmacys; volunteered for the LA Air Force pharmacy. Two research projects, in which one of them is getting a publication. Wayne State University student (I did go to three different CCs when I went home over the summer to take extra classes). LORs came from the pharmacist dean, research supervisor, and a Biochemistry professor who teaches at the medical school at UC Irvine.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yep. my interview date is 24th and i hope it works out at UIC. I am also very impressed with Wisconsin but as you know UIC is my first choice because as an instate it will be a lot cheaper. My interest in midwestern is declining because the tuition is going to be same regardless of whether you are in or out of state. that means their tuition for me will be higher than paying out of state at wisconsin. I hope i get into UIC so as to avoid making this decision cos money is.....
Hey back to you, i guess your bf must be very happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on the first date: January 7. It was a Wednesday morning when I did the whole interview process.

I interviewed on the first date: January 7. It was a Wednesday morning when I did the whole interview process.

Ahhh! i just want an email or a letter of some sort!

The new student orientation is scheduled for Thursday, May 14th at 1:00PM. I hear there's ice cream. Woo!

The new student orientation is scheduled for Thursday, May 14th at 1:00PM. I hear there's ice cream. Woo!

Hah. Does that mean that all the spots have already filled up and no news at this point is a very very bad sign?

Have you contacted Michael or the college yet? If not I would defiantly suggest that you do. It is entirely possible that he either missed your name or accidentally sent your message to someone else. Happened to me.

I just sent him an email... hopefully I get a response ASAP..

I just sent him an email... hopefully I get a response ASAP..
I just called the office..apparently almost all the spots have been filled and they are still deciding on a few applicants...i also emailed michael a few days ago who said the admissions committee is still deciding on applicants...ahhhh, i hope they just accept us.

pharm210--i had my interview on feb 10th too..i think we're on the same boat!

I just called the office..apparently almost all the spots have been filled and they are still deciding on a few applicants...i also emailed michael a few days ago who said the admissions committee is still deciding on applicants...ahhhh, i hope they just accept us.

pharm210--i had my interview on feb 10th too..i think we're on the same boat!

Keep your head high... on the chat they said they were going to interview about ~170 students and accept ~90. 10 students come from the guaranteed program for high schoolers, so it would leave 90 spots for applicants. Also, be in mind that people will want to go else where (Ferris, U of M), and I talked to applicants during my date who had interviews in bordering states. Also, a girl in my group was a little worried about the location of the school, so maybe she went somewhere else?

Members don't see this ad :)
:/ so I emailed Michael friday I believe and have yet to even get a response. This is by far the most frustrating/stressful thing... Any recent acceptances?

A friend of a friend has yet to hear from them as well. She is a Wayne State student.

Anyone who got their acceptance, when did you get your acceptance letters? I got my acceptance on the 12th and I called on Monday and they told me it was mailed out last Friday. I don't know how long it will take for the letter to get from Michigan to California. I'm just concerned that the deadline for the deposit is going to pass before I can even get my letter. Would it be a good idea to jump the shark and call to just say i'm going to mail them the money without recieving the letter?

:/ so I emailed Michael friday I believe and have yet to even get a response. This is by far the most frustrating/stressful thing... Any recent acceptances?

It's march 30, weren't we suppose to get a decision by this date?!

I just got my acceptance email today! Very relieved.

I received my acceptance email today as well!!!!!!!! :)

What a crazy long wait, I finally got the magical acceptance letter today! Thank god!!!!!!
:):):):D:D:cool::cool:

Me too me too!!!! Buttttt I'm missing two pre-reqs.. and ONE of them i can take over the summer.. the problem is the other one isn't offered... :(

what do i do?!

What are they? You can be a guest student at Wayne for the summer and take them. Look up the class schedule at classschedule.Wayne.edu

What are they? You can be a guest student at Wayne for the summer and take them. Look up the class schedule at classschedule.Wayne.edu

Well that's where the problem kicks in... I'm missing 2 pre-reqs... The BIO2870 that is required is 3 different classes at my university... So the last one (the physiology part) is the one i need, and is only offered from 6/29-8/19 which exceeds the deadline of 8/10 to have it complete. And i am also missing the equivalent to BIO3200 at Wayne but have signed up for the course at my university...

Although BIO2870 is offered at Wayne in the summer it conflicts with my other course....

See the dilemma... Does this mean they can take away my acceptance if i can't complete it... :(:(:(

Well that's where the problem kicks in... I'm missing 2 pre-reqs... The BIO2870 that is required is 3 different classes at my university... So the last one (the physiology part) is the one i need, and is only offered from 6/29-8/19 which exceeds the deadline of 8/10 to have it complete. And i am also missing the equivalent to BIO3200 at Wayne but have signed up for the course at my university...

Although BIO2870 is offered at Wayne in the summer it conflicts with my other course....

See the dilemma... Does this mean they can take away my acceptance if i can't complete it... :(:(:(

I would check with michael, but I think all the science courses need to be taken before the summer. The only exception for the incoming 09 class is taking the physio class over the summer as many students here at Wayne complained about the quality of education last fall. I hope they can make an exception for you. I saw your posts at the u of m thread and I'm happy you got in somewhere.

First of all congrats for getiing in! My question is why did this not come up during the interview? Wasnt the purpose of meeting with Mr. Koltuniak at the end to see if you had all the pre-reqs done or not? I remember having to sign a peice of paper stating that I had all the pre-reqs done. Good luck with whatever happens and I hope you find a resolution so you can start in the fall.

I would check with michael, but I think all the science courses need to be taken before the summer. The only exception for the incoming 09 class is taking the physio class over the summer as many students here at Wayne complained about the quality of education last fall. I hope they can make an exception for you. I saw your posts at the u of m thread and I'm happy you got in somewhere.

So what happens if that course isn't offered anywhere? Do you really think they would pull my acceptance for it?! i hope not..... I did email michael and let him know that i can't find it offered anywhere and asked what i should do now. I just really hope it doesn't affect my acceptance at all i'd be so upset!

At my interview I did talk to Michael and we went over the fact that i still had those two pre-reqs but i figured it would be offered in the spring.. to my surprise it isn't so now i'm kinda stuck.

So what happens if that course isn't offered anywhere? Do you really think they would pull my acceptance for it?! i hope not..... I did email michael and let him know that i can't find it offered anywhere and asked what i should do now. I just really hope it doesn't affect my acceptance at all i'd be so upset!

At my interview I did talk to Michael and we went over the fact that i still had those two pre-reqs but i figured it would be offered in the spring.. to my surprise it isn't so now i'm kinda stuck.
I believe they will pull your acceptance if you do not finish all the prereqs before the deadline. I think this is what Michael will tell you, I mean, it isn't fair for anyone to make an exception, no? (Even though i'm rooting for you to get in, someone reading this thread would think, "Well that's not fair...")

Anyway, I would think about taking the physio and the A&P class at Wayne as a guest student. There's a physiology writting intensive course and you can ask them if it can be a substitute. I believe a couple of students last fall dropped 3200 to take the writing intensive course instead because the professor was so bad.

Otherwise, you can go look up the transfer credits on Wayne's website and take your pick on any Michigan CC to see what A&P is transferrable. But like I said, that A&P course should have been done before the Spring/Summer semester. Good luck. :luck:

Did you get an email about the orientation date? Or a snail mail letter? I haven't heard anything yet, and I'm feeling sort of out of the loop.....

I received an email from Michael Koltuniak. Did you sent him a reply that you are accepting the offer? He replied back to my email with the orientation date and time. (1:00)

Did you get an email about the orientation date? Or a snail mail letter? I haven't heard anything yet, and I'm feeling sort of out of the loop.....
I read about it from from Michael when I got the acceptance e-mail. In fact, when I emailed him again about something else, he reminded me about the Orientation date.

I met one of our future classmates recently in a class and he was kind of standoffish when I told him that "Hey! We're going to be classmates!" I hope you all aren't like this at all... :rolleyes:

Anyone make a Facebook group with our class? There's one for the class of 2012. I'm not really Facebook savvy and I already made the thread, so I thought it'd be overkill. lol.

I read about it from from Michael when I got the acceptance e-mail. In fact, when I emailed him again about something else, he reminded me about the Orientation date.

I met one of our future classmates recently in a class and he was kind of standoffish when I told him that "Hey! We're going to be classmates!" I hope you all aren't like this at all... :rolleyes:

Anyone make a Facebook group with our class? There's one for the class of 2012. I'm not really Facebook savvy and I already made the thread, so I thought it'd be overkill. lol.

Oh, it probably was in that email. I was so excited that I don't think I remebered the date.....I'll send Michael an email just to get a confirmation.
And I would definitely be down for the class of 2013 facebook group. But, I too and not facebook savvy (Having just joined facebook this week! lol)

I believe they will pull your acceptance if you do not finish all the prereqs before the deadline. I think this is what Michael will tell you, I mean, it isn't fair for anyone to make an exception, no? (Even though i'm rooting for you to get in, someone reading this thread would think, "Well that's not fair...")

Anyway, I would think about taking the physio and the A&P class at Wayne as a guest student. There's a physiology writting intensive course and you can ask them if it can be a substitute. I believe a couple of students last fall dropped 3200 to take the writing intensive course instead because the professor was so bad.

Otherwise, you can go look up the transfer credits on Wayne's website and take your pick on any Michigan CC to see what A&P is transferrable. But like I said, that A&P course should have been done before the Spring/Summer semester. Good luck. :luck:

Great news! michael said it didn't matter so much about the end date as long as it is before the first day of classes :) so yay!! i'm in i'm in i'm in!
So relieved!

Great news! michael said it didn't matter so much about the end date as long as it is before the first day of classes :) so yay!! i'm in i'm in i'm in!
So relieved!
Yay! I remember reading on the Midwestern thread that this girl couldn't matriculate because she didn't finish the prereqs, hence why I figured they may do the same for you. I'm sorry I doubted your situation! :oops:

Have you decided where to do your last two?

Yay! I remember reading on the Midwestern thread that this girl couldn't matriculate because she didn't finish the prereqs, hence why I figured they may do the same for you. I'm sorry I doubted your situation! :oops:

Have you decided where to do your last two?

:) hah it's okay i doubted my situation also! I'll be doing them at Oakland University! so excited!

Pharm210: The Bio 3200 equivalent (Bio321 at Oakland) is an absolutely fantastic course. I took it last semester with Dr. Reddan and I loved it. It's very tough, and I would say about 75% of the students in your class will be taking it for the second time. I managed an A- my first time through, so its not so bad if you keep up with the reading.

BTW, Reddan is a great prof. He wrote me the best LOR last year and I probably wouldn't have gotten into Wayne without it!

Does anyone know if there's a particular dress code for school?

Anyone that received their acceptance on the 3rd got their official letter yet? I haven't gotten mine yet and was wondering if I should contact them?

I don't think there is a dress code but don't quote me on it.

Anyone that received their acceptance on the 3rd got their official letter yet? I haven't gotten mine yet and was wondering if I should contact them?

I don't think there is a dress code but don't quote me on it.

I haven't received mine as well. I don't think we should really worry about this- it's not like they'll take away our acceptances!

That's what I thought... there's a thread around here about dress code that got me thinking.

I have a question for everyone: Are you guys commuting to school? I haven't decided if I want to live on campus and take the free shuttle to school or find a place in Ferndale or Royal Oak and get myself a car. I looked at the P1 schedules for Winter of this year and it looks like we'll have class from 8 AM to 3:00 PM Monday to Thursday. I never commuted in the snow before...

Last edited:
During my tour I asked the P1 student if there is a dress code and he said that there is for lab only. During normal lectures, you can pretty much wear whatever but it's a business casual atmosphere for lab. They try to keep it professional for the lab because they often have "patient interaction" sessions where they hire actors to play patients and give us a hard time to simulate the real world.

In terms of living arrangements, I would highly recommend living somewhere along north I-75, north of 8 mile. Royal Oak, Madison Heights, Troy, Sterling Heights, Warren etc. I've lived in pretty much all of these areas and they're very nice without too long of a commute. I live in Auburn Hills now and I can commute to Wayne in 15-20 minutes or less. I've also lived in Detroit and Hamtramck (very near Detroit) with varying degrees of success.
Oh, and don't worry about commuting in the snow, you'll get used to it. Just leave earlier and drive slower! It's not too big of a deal.

aw that sucks, we have class until 3pm? When I talked to the P2 students they said that the first year it's 8am-12pm. Rats, knew it was too good to be true.

I'm planning on commuting since I'll be living with my boyfriend who works in Novi and an old college rommie who works in Ann Arbor. We'll probably end up someone around Dearborn or Royal Oak.

So has anyone else having difficulty with pipeline? I'm trying to look up my information and see what financial aid I qualify for but since I am newly admitted and not yet listed as a student I can't get access. I hope they're planning to go over financial aid info during the orientation. I've never had to take out student loans before so I'm more than a little confused.

I still haven't received my letter...

I talked to Michael about the orientation as I will not be attending due to a trip to India. They will talk about financial aid stuff and class schedule there.

I still haven't heard back after my february interview...i think im just going to assume im rejected. the class must be full by now?:(

I still haven't heard back after my february interview...i think im just going to assume im rejected. the class must be full by now?:(

Don't assume. I highly suggest emailing Michael or calling.

and for those who got accepted on the 3rd-- i spoke to someone yesterday and she said she was in charge of mailing out the official letters and had just printed them out. We should receive them early next week :D

Alright, I am seriously toying with the idea that I should go to the school where I feel that's the best 'fit' for me. Not to knock on my university, but living and going to school in Detroit has definitely taken its toll and I am thinking about going to Midwestern CCP. If you look at the numbers, Wayne is the 'better' school, but I read today that the rankings are based on research funding and student opinions. I'm not looking into getting into research despite my experience. Plus, it seems that U of M gets ahold of most of the post-graduate residencies in the state of Michigan. Unfortunately, I do not plan on practicing in this state, and I would likely find a job in my desired state (Illinois) if I went to their in-state school. What's keeping me back are my really strict Asian parents and the fact that tuition over there is ridiculously expensive.

I should have applied to UIC if my parents were so uptight about prestige and names. :thumbdown:

Anyway, I am in need of advice: go with prestige and suck it up for another 4 years (plus cheaper tuition/living expenses) or go to the less renowned school where it just feels 'right'.

Alright, I am seriously toying with the idea that I should go to the school where I feel that's the best 'fit' for me. Not to knock on my university, but living and going to school in Detroit has definitely taken its toll and I am thinking about going to Midwestern CCP. If you look at the numbers, Wayne is the 'better' school, but I read today that the rankings are based on research funding and student opinions. I'm not looking into getting into research despite my experience. Plus, it seems that U of M gets ahold of most of the post-graduate residencies in the state of Michigan. Unfortunately, I do not plan on practicing in this state, and I would likely find a job in my desired state (Illinois) if I went to their in-state school. What's keeping me back are my really strict Asian parents and the fact that tuition over there is ridiculously expensive.

I should have applied to UIC if my parents were so uptight about prestige and names. :thumbdown:

Anyway, I am in need of advice: go with prestige and suck it up for another 4 years (plus cheaper tuition/living expenses) or go to the less renowned school where it just feels 'right'.

Hm that is a tough situation. It really does suck that out of state tuition is almost double that of in state tuition :-/

I would say do what feels right for you, but you're saying that you didn't apply to UIC this year? So that means if you do decide to go you'll have to wait an additional year for application and acceptance right? What are Wayne state and UIC's policy on transferring? If you could transfer after a year than it may be worth trying out Wayne for one year and if you're still unhappy leave for UIC.

Whatever you decide, I strongly suggest you do what will make you happy. You are the one that will go to the college, not your parents. Unless they're footing the bill, they really have no control over where you go.

It's official! I'm going to Chicago for school with my parents blessing! Truth is, my Dad didn't have a choice on where he wanted to go for Medical school, and he didn't want to end up being like his parents... ha. :)

Too bad I can't join the group, but I do know of two students that I had classes with at Wayne. You all will have a blast with them for the next four years!

Best of luck to you! It's a shame you won't be joining us, but Chicago is a wonderful city and they have a good pharmacy program there. I hope you have a wonderful experience there! :)

has anyone gotten accepted lately? my acceptance came AFTER that little May orientation, so I haven't gotten the chance to register for classes yet.. and I'm still waiting the snail mail, and i have no clue what is going on. I did send Michael an email that I was accepting the offer, but he didn't reply either..

I'm just a bit clueless.