Wayne State vs CMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eye see you

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently waitlisted at both schools, but they both have decent WL movement and I'd like some insight for the best case scenario where I'm accepted to both. Both schools are IS and have similar COA. I'm trying to match into Ophthalmology which is competitive so I'd like the school that can best prepare me for that.

Wayne State
Pros
  • Closer to home. I live in the Metro-Detroit area so I can even potentially commute depending on how the schedules play out. This would save me so much on COL
  • Good match rates for Ophthalmology which is my specialty of interest
  • Good research opportunities from what I can see (Note: I don't have research experience and I'm not sure if this will complicate me getting research opportunities)
  • I prefer urban and sub-urban settings
  • P/F with Honors
  • I don't think lectures are mandatory here but I'm not 100% sure

Cons
  • Larger class size (around 300)
  • Apparently the administration can be a bit disorganized (any insight here?)
  • I know I said I could commute which would save me on COL, but it would require a minimum 40-min drive to campus any time that I would have to be there. I'm also not 100% sure if commuting is viable because I don't know how demanding the curriculum/schedule is. (Hopefully current students can tell me if this is do-able)

Central Michigan
Pros
  • Smaller class size (around 100)
  • My favorite interview experience here
  • Lectures not mandatory
  • P/F

Cons
  • Rural campus
  • Would have to move to Mt. Pleasant which isn't too far from friends and family here in Detroit, but my COL would skyrocket.
  • I'm finding it difficult to get match results and stats for this school, particularly for ophtho
  • Not sure if research is strong here

I'm leaning towards Wayne but would love any additional insight you can provide for me. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, what did you decide? I am a current applicant this cycle and I think my decision is going to come down to these two schools. Any insight would be appreciated!!

Hello, I'm currently waitlisted at both schools, but they both have decent WL movement and I'd like some insight for the best case scenario where I'm accepted to both. Both schools are IS and have similar COA. I'm trying to match into Ophthalmology which is competitive so I'd like the school that can best prepare me for that.

Wayne State
Pros
  • Closer to home. I live in the Metro-Detroit area so I can even potentially commute depending on how the schedules play out. This would save me so much on COL
  • Good match rates for Ophthalmology which is my specialty of interest
  • Good research opportunities from what I can see (Note: I don't have research experience and I'm not sure if this will complicate me getting research opportunities)
  • I prefer urban and sub-urban settings
  • P/F with Honors
  • I don't think lectures are mandatory here but I'm not 100% sure

Cons
  • Larger class size (around 300)
  • Apparently the administration can be a bit disorganized (any insight here?)
  • I know I said I could commute which would save me on COL, but it would require a minimum 40-min drive to campus any time that I would have to be there. I'm also not 100% sure if commuting is viable because I don't know how demanding the curriculum/schedule is. (Hopefully current students can tell me if this is do-able)

Central Michigan
Pros
  • Smaller class size (around 100)
  • My favorite interview experience here
  • Lectures not mandatory
  • P/F

Cons
  • Rural campus
  • Would have to move to Mt. Pleasant which isn't too far from friends and family here in Detroit, but my COL would skyrocket.
  • I'm finding it difficult to get match results and stats for this school, particularly for ophtho
  • Not sure if research is strong here

I'm leaning towards Wayne but would love any additional insight you can provide for me. Thank you!
Hello, what did you decide? I am a current applicant this cycle and I think my decision is going to come down to these two schools. Any insight would be appreciated!!