Wayne State vs MSU(MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wayneBMSpremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, didn't see this one up yet.

I have a choice between these two schools. Currently I am leaning heavily to WSU. I did my undergrad and Masters at Wayne and I'm very involved in the community, and currently live about 5 mins away for the school. I want to stay here but I also of not want to miss the opportunity to have a new experience at a more well known campus. I want to do some type of surgery, not sure which yet (but Ortho would be great)

Wayne:
Pros:
+More well known for clinical care
+I am established here and well connected with faculty and administration
+ I did my Masters at the WSUSOM, which has many of the same professors as M1 year; some of whom give very similar course packs to what I did in the masters
+ Established curriculum
+ I love Detroit
+ I have a good chance of getting a need based scholarship
+ Great facilities to rotate into all close by campus
Cons:
- LCME stuff
- The med school is currently in the red about 20 million
- I've been here for 7 years, kind of want something new
(now that I'm typing this, I'm starting to relies that these reasons probably will not effect the quality of education at all)

MSUCHM:
Pros:
+ Big 10 School
+ More name recognition
+ New experience
Cons:
- More primary medicine and community based, I would rather work in an urban setting; and I am not interested in primary care
- You can to move around community hospitals around the state for rotations
- I don't know anyone or have any connections at MSU

I would love to hear your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like wayne fits you Surgery, connections, and dont want to do PC. The cons as you noticed wont really impact you in a real way.

Hey guys, didn't see this one up yet.

I have a choice between these two schools. Currently I am leaning heavily to WSU. I did my undergrad and Masters at Wayne and I'm very involved in the community, and currently live about 5 mins away for the school. I want to stay here but I also of not want to miss the opportunity to have a new experience at a more well known campus. I want to do some type of surgery, not sure which yet (but Ortho would be great)

Wayne:
Pros:
+More well known for clinical care
+I am established here and well connected with faculty and administration
+ I did my Masters at the WSUSOM, which has many of the same professors as M1 year; some of whom give very similar course packs to what I did in the masters
+ Established curriculum
+ I love Detroit
+ I have a good chance of getting a need based scholarship
+ Great facilities to rotate into all close by campus
Cons:
- LCME stuff
- The med school is currently in the red about 20 million
- I've been here for 7 years, kind of want something new
(now that I'm typing this, I'm starting to relies that these reasons probably will not effect the quality of education at all)

MSUCHM:
Pros:
+ Big 10 School
+ More name recognition
+ New experience
Cons:
- More primary medicine and community based, I would rather work in an urban setting; and I am not interested in primary care
- You can to move around community hospitals around the state for rotations
- I don't know anyone or have any connections at MSU

I would love to hear your opinions.

I had your decision and Wayne was a no brainer. The name recognition is better at Wayne due its research funding and clinical facilitates but it's not major. For Michigan, the pecking order was still Wayne>MSU in my day. Big 10 doesn't mean anything for medical school because MSU has literally 3 colleges for applied medical sciences which are then split into multiple campuses. I went to MSU for undergrad so I'd love to have gone to medical school there as well, but I had to take the better option. Having an inside view into LCME accreditation process and being part of one of the many teams that revamps the curriculum, I don't see any major repercussions for students applying from Wayne State.

Also, for orthopedic surgery, research and connections are extremely important. You're a lot more educated in that whole area than I was as a pre-med and I feel you know very well what you're doing and would highly benefit from accepting Wayne.