Wayne State vs MSU(MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wayneBMSpremed

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, didn't see this one up yet.

I have a choice between these two schools. Currently I am leaning heavily to WSU. I did my undergrad and Masters at Wayne and I'm very involved in the community, and currently live about 5 mins away for the school. I want to stay here but I also of not want to miss the opportunity to have a new experience at a more well known campus. I want to do some type of surgery, not sure which yet (but Ortho would be great)

Wayne:
Pros:
+More well known for clinical care
+I am established here and well connected with faculty and administration
+ I did my Masters at the WSUSOM, which has many of the same professors as M1 year; some of whom give very similar course packs to what I did in the masters
+ Established curriculum
+ I love Detroit
+ I have a good chance of getting a need based scholarship
+ Great facilities to rotate into all close by campus
Cons:
- LCME stuff
- The med school is currently in the red about 20 million
- I've been here for 7 years, kind of want something new
(now that I'm typing this, I'm starting to relies that these reasons probably will not effect the quality of education at all)

MSUCHM:
Pros:
+ Big 10 School
+ More name recognition
+ New experience
Cons:
- More primary medicine and community based, I would rather work in an urban setting; and I am not interested in primary care
- You can to move around community hospitals around the state for rotations
- I don't know anyone or have any connections at MSU


I would love to hear your opinions.
 
Last edited:
Hey guys, didn't see this one up yet.

I have a choice between these two schools. Currently I am leaning heavily to WSU. I did my undergrad and Masters at Wayne and I'm very involved in the community, and currently live about 5 mins away for the school. I want to stay here but I also of not want to miss the opportunity to have a new experience at a more well known campus. I want to do some type of surgery, not sure which yet (but Ortho would be great)

Wayne:
Pros:
+More well known for clinical care
+I am established here and well connected with faculty and administration
+ I did my Masters at the WSUSOM, which has many of the same professors as M1 year; some of whom give very similar course packs to what I did in the masters
+ Established curriculum
+ I love Detroit
+ I have a good chance of getting a need based scholarship
+ Great facilities to rotate into all close by campus
Cons:
- LCME stuff
- The med school is currently in the red about 20 million
- I've been here for 7 years, kind of want something new
(now that I'm typing this, I'm starting to relies that these reasons probably will not effect the quality of education at all)

MSUCHM:
Pros:
+ Big 10 School
+ More name recognition
+ New experience
Cons:
- More primary medicine and community based, I would rather work in an urban setting; and I am not interested in primary care
- You can to move around community hospitals around the state for rotations
- I don't know anyone or have any connections at MSU


I would love to hear your opinions.

I had your decision and Wayne was a no brainer. The name recognition is better at Wayne due its research funding and clinical facilitates but it's not major. For Michigan, the pecking order was still Wayne>MSU in my day. Big 10 doesn't mean anything for medical school because MSU has literally 3 colleges for applied medical sciences which are then split into multiple campuses. I went to MSU for undergrad so I'd love to have gone to medical school there as well, but I had to take the better option. Having an inside view into LCME accreditation process and being part of one of the many teams that revamps the curriculum, I don't see any major repercussions for students applying from Wayne State.

Also, for orthopedic surgery, research and connections are extremely important. You're a lot more educated in that whole area than I was as a pre-med and I feel you know very well what you're doing and would highly benefit from accepting Wayne.