Wayne State vs Seton Hall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squameycellca

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am grateful to have two acceptances to MD schools with similar COA and ranking, so I am kind of unsure which one to attend.

Wayne State
Pros
  • Established medical school with a good track record and decent match list.
  • Detroit has a low cost of living compared with NJ

Cons
  • I heard that Detroit is sort of dangerous, but I think it all comes down to common sense (?)
  • Issues with administration (?) I have read on this forum that they can be somewhat disorganized.

Seton Hall/Hackensack Meridian
Pros
  • Brand new facilities and state-of-the-art campus.
  • The faculty was super friendly during our interview.

Cons
  • It is a new school, they have not had their first match, except for the internal placement of their 3-year program.
  • High COL in the NJ area.

I don't have a preference for either area, both programs seem to be ranked similarly, and I have not had any financial aid offer from either school. So I will appreciate any insights.

Thanks much,

Members don't see this ad.

Wayne is the better move given how established it is, and there is much more in terms of research opportunity. If you want to end up in NJ, you could consider Seton Hall but I'd go with the known brand unless Seton Hall is going to entice you with $$.

Reactions: 1 user
Wayne is the better move given how established it is, and there is much more in terms of research opportunity. If you want to end up in NJ, you could consider Seton Hall but I'd go with the known brand unless Seton Hall is going to entice you with $$.
Thank you for the advice, that makes sense!!