Wayne State vs. Western Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juicyfruit22

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I would really appreciate some outside input as to where I should go. Some background info on me is that I am a Michigan resident and have a spouse. I am most interested in pursuing ortho, gen surg, or EM.

Wayne State
Pros:
  • Tuition cost. I haven't received a financial aid offer yet, but tuition is ~$34,000 a year.
  • Greater clinical exposure....very diverse and underserved patient population.
  • More home residency programs.
Cons:
  • Cost of living is higher
  • Class size is huge (~300)
  • Interview day was a disorganized mess. We fell way behind schedule very early on, had minimal time with admissions personnel and current students, and barely saw the school.
  • Have heard the administration isn't great. Although, they have a new dean, so maybe they will turn things around?
  • Detroit isn't exactly the most enticing place to live given the current COVID-19 situation. My spouse is a RN and isn't super pumped about the idea of working in Detroit at the moment.
  • Further from home, support system (~3 hours).

Western Michigan
Pros
  • Class size is super small (84 students)
  • Decompressed curriculum with 1 week breaks between blocks for vacation, electives, or catching up on material.
  • Very responsive and involved administration. We were able to spend significant time with some of them on interview day, and they were all fantastic.
  • Interview day was awesome, by far my favorite of the cycle.
  • Facilities are gorgeous.
  • Close to home, support system (~1 hour).
  • Home residency programs in ortho and EM
Cons
  • Tuition is ~$63,000 per year. Yikes.
  • Less diverse patient population.
  • Newer school, less established. They've had solid matches, though.

Summary: I loved Western Michigan, but the tuition cost is keeping me from pulling the trigger. Do you think the differences between these schools warrants the added cost? It'll cost me roughly $120,000 more to attend Western Michigan. What would you do? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Wmu has less research, lower number of residency positions , and is more expensive. If you would like to stay close to home that is a fair argument for it. But it is not an objectively better choice .

You also talk of COL being higher by Wayne State. What’s the total COA for both schools if you calculate it?

If it’s still the way it is with a 120k difference, then Wayne State. I really liked Western Michigan as well, but 120k is just too big a cost to justify here

Members don't see this ad :)
You also talk of COL being higher by Wayne State. What’s the total COA for both schools if you calculate it?

If it’s still the way it is with a 120k difference, then Wayne State. I really liked Western Michigan as well, but 120k is just too big a cost to justify here

With COL factored in, its roughly 100k. So still a lot

Wayne state it is then. Although it may be worth asking Western Michigan that you really like them and if it’s possible for any further finaid Bc you have a cheaper option.

Yeah, I was thinking that it wouldn't hurt to ask at least. Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Reactions: 1 users