Wayne vs. Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhattnea

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know these threads kind of suck but i was looking for your opinions. I'm a Michigan resident and wayne is instate while ohio is a ranked school with out of state fees. What do you guys think? What are good criteria to make these instate vs. out of state decisions? At the end of the day what does being 'ranked' really mean?

Members don't see this ad.

Dude,

Generally, this discussion starts with questions about how scared you are of debt versus how much you want the research/clinical opportunities at a ranked school, and the discussion ends with someone saying some silly, idealistic thing about how "you'll get out of medical school whatever you put into it, no matter where you are."

But let's cut the crap and look at the specifics. Ohio State will let you pay IN-STATE tuition after your first year. Thus, in the end, you'll only wind up paying $10,000-$15,000 more than you would have at Wayne. And while that sounds like a lot now, it's pocket change in the whole grand scheme of med school debt.

So, go to Ohio State, pay in-state tuition after your first year, take advantage of Ohio's off-the-hook opportunities, and be happy. 'Kay?

I know these threads kind of suck but i was looking for your opinions. I'm a Michigan resident and wayne is instate while ohio is a ranked school with out of state fees. What do you guys think? What are good criteria to make these instate vs. out of state decisions? At the end of the day what does being 'ranked' really mean?

Ohio state is 28 K a year (24 K for in-state), Wayne is around 24K. I presume here the living expenses are the same...because you are not living at home.

Spending 4 K a year extra every year is worth it...go to Ohio State.

Wayne state is a good school...but it has its draw backs...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio state is 28 K a year (24 K for in-state), Wayne is around 24K. I presume here the living expenses are the same...because you are not living at home.

Spending 4 K a year extra every year is worth it...go to Ohio State.

Wayne state is a good school...but it has its draw backs...

Really? According to the official website:

http://medicine.osu.edu/futurestudents/financialaid/budget/index.cfm

the OOS tuition is $38,214.

I sure hope your number is the right one, since I may end up there.

i take that back. i got that number off USnews...and is INACCURATE...

um...if you dont have to pay 38 after first year...its WORTH it...but if you do have to pay 38 for 4 years...post this question again...lol

damn, first time I've learned that... oh well, I gotta get in places before I really start counting my pennies.

either way, I plan on picking OSU over Wayne if I get in there (interviewing in january).

I don't know anything about Wayne, but I interviewed at Ohio State and I loved it. I will very likely be going there. AND, like someone said previously, you only pay out of state tuition the first year.

I have to ask, why not apply to Michigan too? I mean, Wayne State, Ohio State.....Your from Michigan, you shouldn't really want to go to Ohio State if you don't have too :)

Petty differences aside, why not apply to Michigan as well? Its just as good of a school as Ohio State (Many would consider it better :) )

Just coming from a Michigan grad..........and a Michigan resident.

the fact that the average MCAT is about 2 points higher for Michigan than OSU might have something to do with it.

OSU is easier to get in to as an oos'er than an instater in to michigan

and Michigan really doesn't give a damn about instate or out of state

i.e. they "strive" for a 50/50 split between the two... and as a top school Michigan gets a lot of really competitive applicants from all over the country.

grey fox... hmm, interesting.

what other states let you do this ? (in-state after 1st year)

Ohio, New Jersey yes
Michigan, Indiana no

anyone know how Illinois works ?

what other states let you do this ? (in-state after 1st year)

Ohio, New Jersey yes
Michigan, Indiana no

anyone know how Illinois works ?

Upstate lets you do this. First year 33K, afterwards..18k a year

I'm actually trying to decide decide betweeen these same two schools as well and I too am a Michigan resident. While there are aspects of both schools that I really like, I'm currently leaning towards OSU because I got a better gut feeling when I interviewed. While I think Wayne has great clinical opportunites, I was very impressed with OSU's Patient-Centered Medicine course, facilities like the clinical skills lab, curriculum options, international opportunities, and overall focus on patient care that was evident throughout the interview day presentations and discussions with students there. I am waiting to hear from a couple other schools and about financial aid info before making my final decision. The fact that you can become an Ohio resident is definitely a plus and I really don't think the 20K or so difference in debt after 4 years will really make that big of a difference in the long run. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions and congrats on your acceptances!

Thanks for everyones post's they are really helpful and UM put me on preinterview hold so i dont think thats still in the equation.

I don't know anything about Wayne, but I interviewed at Ohio State and I loved it. I will very likely be going there. AND, like someone said previously, you only pay out of state tuition the first year.

Ill see you there!:D:thumbup:

Here is the scoop. In order to become an Ohio resident after one year the student must be totally self-supporting for one year. So for many that means borrowing the entire cost of attendence for MS1 (~59K) and paying OOS tuition. Then you can become a resident and after that it doesn't make any difference where your money comes from--including parents if you are lucky. So, you can turn around and pay off some of the loans that you took out year one--particularly the unsubsidized ones. So if you use that strategy, the total difference in 4 year cost of attendance for OSU as opposed to Mich/Wayne/Michigan State is about 10-15K. Which is not much in my book. I figure cost of attendance at Mich/Wayne to be about 190K for four years in state and OSU at about 215. It would seem that there is little $$$$ reason to make a choice--go for the program/facility that is better for you.:luck:

I'm going to have to bump this.

I have a few michigan friends making the same choice and I cant think of a reason they would go for Wayne over OSU unless they get the the money. Am I wrong here? (btw
this hurts me to say being a wolverine and all)

Edit: so i guess one of them is getting 8 thou in aid from wayne (not sure if its renewable) and not from OSU...does that change anything?