1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Ways to improve manual dexterity?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Mangocat, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Mangocat

Mangocat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey,
    I was wondering if you all had any suggestions for how to improve manual dexterity before starting dental school in the fall? I never played an instrument so I don't have that experience. +pity+
    I just have experience with delicate dissection. Suggestions welcome! Thanks.

--M--

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. i took the more difficult Canadian DAT and they had a soap carving section, that's how i prepared. Just see if you can find some practice books taht prepare you for the CDN DAT. In my opinion though you don't need to do anything because my buddies in dental school did crap on their carving, got into U of Toronto coz they don't look at carving and they are killing dental school.

4. BigJake

BigJake Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

There are a lot of things you can do. Buy some cheap plastic models and do the best job you can on them. Carve chalk, try origami or any other activity that demands accuracy and precision. If you do some of these things you will see what your problems are. If you keep doing these things you will improve.

BigJake

5. toothache

toothache Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i just went to a local mechanic and decided to work part time and it greatly improved my manual dexterity

6. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I remember in the website for Columbia mentioning something about working with jewelry too.

I happen to be working with jewelry putting together charm italian charm bracelets.

7. Mangocat

Mangocat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the suggestions-the jewelry one is especially interesting. Keep 'em coming! :thumbup:

8. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think they meant as long as you are involved in things like say cutting diamonds that will be very relevant. However an average person doesn't have say the clearance to do that kind of job since it requires being trusting and very skilled(don't want to lose expensive diamonds).

9. Mangocat

Mangocat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well I understood it the sense of making smaller jewelry using tools-I've seen it done by friends and it takes a lot of dexterity and precision. :) And that can be done by the average person if they know how to and have the materials.

I agree though with not messing with diamonds haha. :laugh:

10. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

I worked as a part-time Barber before, and I enjoy cooking most of the time - maybe that works for Manual Dexterity!

11. marshall

marshall SDN Donor
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    An interesting aside to this is that I've heard from people in dental school that if you try to mimic doing dental things (mirrors, hand tools, etc) that you fall into bad habits unless you are being guided by a professional. Apparently it's hard to break these habits, depending on how long you've used them... so you may end up doing more harm than good if you are practicing holding a handpiece or something.

12. critterbug

critterbug I like big buttz. No Lie!
    7+ Year Member

just play lots of golf :D At least thats my strategy :thumbup:

13. ziptree

ziptree DDS
    10+ Year Member

I took a ceramics class to help with my manual dexterity.

I've also worked at a dental lab for about a year now. I think the metal/porcelain grinding helps a lot. Waxing up the teeth doesn't hurt either. You can try to observe at one, if they have any spare models or whatnot, you can ask to cut into some stuff just for fun.

14. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Am I the only one here who isn't interested in Golf?

15. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Good point. So at this point all it is for me is finger exercise.:confused:

16. trypmo

trypmo Arch Fiend
    7+ Year Member

Another way to practice manual dexterity: PM me if you might be interested in buying one of the motorized chalk carving tool kits I make, and help send me to my interviews! ;)

About practicing in mirrors: I never stopped to think I might be falling into bad habits by practicing on my own. Ack. Maybe I'll ask the DDS I shadow about tips on how to hold the instruments, because I'd really like to be able to keep practicing with mirrors...

17. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

Try and build something like this:

[​IMG]

How's THAT for working in a confined space! :D

18. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

^^^^

Isn't that going to take 4 years to build? :D

Anyone who can, is ahead of the game.

19. preludexl

preludexl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How to improve manual dexterity?

Go chase a chicken? It worked for Rocky Balboa in Rocky I.
    :D :D

20. marshall

marshall SDN Donor
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Sculpting it also a great way to do it. You use a lot of tools that resemble dental tools for fine details (faces, etc). I've sculpted in plaster, wood, and clay (for the face) and all mediums were excellent ways to work with my hands. I don't know if I'll be a better dentist because of it but sculpture was specifically recommended to me by UCLA dental admissions.

Cheers,
    Marshall

21. Midoc

Midoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    The sculpting of fine details should definitely help you for when you learn to carve amalgams and finish composites.

22. Thaxil

Thaxil Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    buy a piece of $hit car and be force to work on it every week when it breaks down.

23. the big wand

the big wand Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I enjoy pottery. At least it gives me something to do when I don't feel like studying....speaking of my laziness.

Well, the most important thing is that I can make whatever I want and let my imagination go wild.......the big wand? :p

24. mobius

mobius Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I work in maintenance in a dairy and do sanitary welding. I work on my own car and I used to work on laser systems, aligning mirrors. one of my hobbies is racing 1/8 scale gas cars. I think I have the manual dexterity down.

25. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    I've come to the conclusion that manual dexterity and psychomotor skills are two completely different things.

Many a student in my class has fair to good manual dexterity, but their psychomotor skills are lacking and therefore their preps are atrocious.

Good manual dexterity may be exhibited by be a fabulous baller, but said individual may not have good psychomotor skills, or fully developed skills.

Psychomotor skills are building muscular movements that are smooth and precise. Psychomotor learning involves both cognitive learning and muscular movement. The goal of psychomotor learning is to develop smoothness, ease and precision in the physical movements. Until the goal is reached, "thinking" about each movement is required. Mastery of psychomotor skill is obtained when the learner no longer has to think about what he is doing because the motor responses have become automatic.

26. TyLawInt

TyLawInt Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

What about typing? For example, does the ability to type 60 words/minute, demonstrate manual dexterity?

Just a thought.

27. trypmo

trypmo Arch Fiend
    7+ Year Member

Hey, I never thought of that! :cool:

Typing seems to fit the description of a psychomotor skill -- and if it does, then so does playing the piano, flute, etc.

The only difference I can see is that it's more of a "reaching & pressing" movement rather than a "grasping & manipulating" movement, but I think you've got a case there! :D

28. FowlersGap

FowlersGap The Original Knight Rider
    10+ Year Member

bump....bump bump it up....

29. xkurkox

xkurkox Member
    7+ Year Member

ever play pick up sticks?

30. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

I play a lot of video-games - Mario Kart King :D, how about that for psychomotor skills? - I wonder if the adcoms can buy that one?

31. Mangocat

Mangocat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the suggestions...I'm trying out acrylic paints for fun. Let's see how "wonderful" these paintings turn out with my abismal artistic skills :scared:

32. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

Except the only thing you use when playing video games is your thumbs! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

33. Midoc

Midoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Actually Mo007, playing video games has been shown by research to increase your hand-eye coordination. This is definitely helpful in dentistry.

34. mochafreak

mochafreak registered quaffer
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    How about phlebotomy...sure you get called a vampire and not too many people appreciate your skills, but it gives you a steady hand, flexible hours, and health care experience. I have an ER doc saying he'll write me a letter too :D Not sure how much that'll help for dental school though. I'm also getting ready to start some wax carving. It looks like a lot of fun.